Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

A consideration is what diesel is today... and is it desirable anymore...
or even available if you are overlanding with a modern American vehicle overseas.

A lot of countries are converting from diesel to Compressed Natural Gas.
In many European cities diesel fuel is banned.
India, 1.3B people has done the conversion.
There will soon be countries where recharging an EV will be easier than finding diesel.

Last edited:

OkieMizzou

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Darby, Montana, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7MTP
I have a 2018 Jeep JLUR on 37s and my Turtleback Getaway Trail is sitting on 35s. As mentioned in some of the previous posts, the new transmission is great and honestly it handled my 37s with without making any changes other than remapping the speedo with the Taser JL module. That being said, a re-gear was necessary in order to effectively pull my trailer when going up hills. My vehicle/trailer combo was purpose planned so I new from the beginning that I wanted to go with the 35s on the trailer from the get-go. The design of the trailer frame and suspension matches perfectly level with my Jeep as it sits with its configuration. There's really no need to put 37s on the trailer although it does accommodate the bigger tires without any issue. Here are the specs of my setup:

2018 Jeep JLUR
TeraFlex ST3 (3.5") lift
37" tires on 17" wheels
Re-geared to 4.88s

Turtleback Getaway Trail
Icon suspension
Max Coupler hitch

Congrats on the Turtleback trailer, you'll love it. I've taken it to some pretty gnarly places and at times forgot that I was even pulling it. Feel free to reach out to me with any other questions you may have. I live in Phoenix where they're made and have spent a lot of time at the factory and camping with the owners of the company. I'll be glad to send pics of my customizations to the trailer. Haha, now that I think about it, I need to post some pics up here on the forum!

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

A consideration is what diesel is today... and is it desirable anymore...
or even available if you are overlanding with a modern American vehicle overseas.

A lot of countries are converting from diesel to Compressed Natural Gas.
In many European cities diesel fuel is banned.
India, 1.3B people has done the conversion.
There will soon be countries where recharging an EV will be easier than finding diesel.
You are sitting on wrong information here, high quality Sulphur free diesel is available in more countries than ever even most parts of North Africa, diesel is NOT banned from cities in Europe, old diesels are partially banned from the inner city, cng is only sometimes available and in different standards while diesel is available at 95% of the gas stations, only far up north the availability is a little bit lower.
And recharge ev isn't that easy over here but possible with a little planning.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

So diesel JLU? 4 door? but not a pickup?

The big question is what will you do with it?
Where will you go?
How much highway?
How long will the trips be?

33s/35s/37s/40s
Each choice reduces fuel economy, range.
Add airing down, each choice might increase capability, depending on use.
The bigger the tire, the higher the unsprung weight, the rougher the ride.

"I'm considering clearance, mechanical wear on the vehicle, availability of replacement tires after you use you spare"

Where are you going that you worry about getting a new tire? If that is a concern, buy a world wide available commercial tire, set yer rig up to work with that. AND guaranteed, if you go for a bigger than stock tire WILL increase mechanical wear, but beyond wear, even after regearing every big, bigger tire choice increases the likely hood of breakage. mechanical wear is .... a polite way of saying stranded.
I can agree with some of the concepts here, lest you think I just chase you around the forum to disagree anytime you suggest stock is best. There's a thin line between useful modding, and modding that in the long-run only hinders our efforts towards reliability. I think you asked the right questions (what/where/how will you go? - to sum them up). If the answer is groomed fireroads, or trails of similar difficulty then I can agree, a stock JLUR will be just fine. We all know Jeep has gangs of magazine (well, probably VLOG/YT people more than anything these days) run The Rubicon in bone-stock JL/JLU Rubicons and they just did it with the Gladiators too. However, if you watch the run it doesn't seem relaxing or easy on equipment at all:

From the very start you'll see (and hear) that stock the JTR will do The Rubicon, but it won't do it without dragging belly non-stop and some bumps on the body. Go ahead and skip to around 25:30 for the body damage they gathered from just one run. IF (and that's a big, BIG, IF) a person intends to run trails like The Rubicon, or trails with similar obstacles there IS a sound case for modifying. While these things have pretty good skid-plates, rock-sliders etc. IMHO I'd rather not drag my belly through an entire trail (not exactly treading lightly either). You talk about wear and tear and the possibility for mechanical issues and being stranded - but running a trail that is right at, or above the ceiling of your vehicles capability also imparts a lot of wear, tear, damage and the potential for major mechanical issues. Yes, they're skidded up but how long are you going to run a vehicle the way they do in this vid before you do mangle a driveshaft on a just-right (wrong?) rock?

Anyway, I want to reiterate the "trails with similar obstacles" part. The Rubicon is far, far, FAR from "America's Hardest Rocky Trail" as TFLT put in their video title. There are tons of harder trails in the same part of the Sierras. The thing that makes The Rubicon "THE RUBICON" is that it's unrelenting, it's just like that the WHOLE way. There are, however, a zillion trails what might have one or two obstacles just as hard as the hardest necessary lines on The Rubicon. A lot of us want to run in places like the Sierras and explore trails we're not yet familiar with and not have to worry (as much) about coming up on an obstacle like that and having to turn around and back-track for hours.

On my last wheeling/camping (Overlanding?) trip we had a bone-stock XJ with us... and before the end of the ride he was on a donut. We got him through everything - so perhaps I'm making your case for you. But the point is the more built rigs in the group could just continue down the trail, not needing a spotter, not having to stack rocks, and not "stressing" about it while we had to constantly spot and stack for the stocker. It slows a trip way down, and while the challenge is neat the first few times at the end of the day it gets old and most everybody wants to be able to stay in their rig and get where we're going.

As for the JLU vs. truck part, I'll save that one for another day... I have TONS of thoughts on it (are you surprised?) and I can't even say for sure which I'd do if you handed me $60k that I "had" to use to go buy a new Jeep product. That said, I will point out that a JT (Gladiator) has almost a 3' longer wheelbase than my WJ... and overall length is actually MORE than 3' longer!!!!!

-TJ

D

Deleted member 21788

I would like to use the setup for both general overlanding / camping with the family and running trails, to include the Rubicon. As to the Gladiator, I prefer the Wrangler's configuration vs. a truck configuration. Just personal preference. I do like the insurance that 35's or 37's buy you as TJ outlined above. At some point, once the kids are older, I'd like to attempt Bamako Adventures Baja 4000 or maybe even the Budapest to Bamako eventually which is why I referenced the availability of replacement tires and parts. Just trying to plan for the future.

Reactions: MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

... At some point, once the kids are older, I'd like to attempt Bamako Adventures Baja 4000 or maybe even the Budapest to Bamako eventually which is why I referenced the availability of replacement tires and parts. Just trying to plan for the future.
As a European I can say that spare parts are available and we hadn't much problems with the older eco diesels in the gc. A hemi could cause some problems with parts but still available.
If you have specific questions about Europe stuff just reach out to our forum section, there are plenty of people who traveled everywhere over here.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I have a 2018 Jeep JLUR on 37s and my Turtleback Getaway Trail is sitting on 35s. As mentioned in some of the previous posts, the new transmission is great and honestly it handled my 37s with without making any changes other than remapping the speedo with the Taser JL module. That being said, a re-gear was necessary in order to effectively pull my trailer when going up hills. My vehicle/trailer combo was purpose planned so I new from the beginning that I wanted to go with the 35s on the trailer from the get-go. The design of the trailer frame and suspension matches perfectly level with my Jeep as it sits with its configuration. There's really no need to put 37s on the trailer although it does accommodate the bigger tires without any issue. Here are the specs of my setup:

2018 Jeep JLUR
TeraFlex ST3 (3.5") lift
37" tires on 17" wheels
Re-geared to 4.88s

Turtleback Getaway Trail
Icon suspension
Max Coupler hitch

Congrats on the Turtleback trailer, you'll love it. I've taken it to some pretty gnarly places and at times forgot that I was even pulling it. Feel free to reach out to me with any other questions you may have. I live in Phoenix where they're made and have spent a lot of time at the factory and camping with the owners of the company. I'll be glad to send pics of my customizations to the trailer. Haha, now that I think about it, I need to post some pics up here on the forum!

View attachment 119961

View attachment 119962
WOW - what a setup!

-TJ

Gerry Potter

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Gerry
Last Name
Potter
I would go with the AEV 4 1/2 lift and run 35's for a daily driver. the road manners are fantastic and the lift gets you a lot of clearance. Can always go with 37s at a later date (and a re-gear). We can still run 80 mph on the highway with the JKU and it is not squirrely.