Member II

Johns Creek, GA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Bowman
Member #

Hey Folks.
Big Subaru family here. Currently rocking a 2020 Outback XT and a 2021 Subaru Ascent(Subarus #6 and #7 for us) We will be doing some moderate overlanding in both, but we need to add something to the stable to take us to the next level! I have a 4 year old in a front facing car seat, a 2 year old in a rear facing car seat, and a newborn. I’m looking mostly at Toyota Products, like Land Cruiser, Lexus GX470, LX470, Tacoma, Tundra, etc

What’s your vote?

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
If you take care of it a Toyota will out live you and keep its value.
I've been full circle and came back to Toyota. I also find that whatever you buy, if your going to mod it, choose something with good support. I love my Cruiser. Unless you want to buy something every couple of years, look at your family then think on what you need 5 years from now. Will your choice be enough.

Reactions: Visiontrd

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
I found myself in a similar position last year. My wife nad I were childless for about 12 years and when it was just the two of us, we were perfectly fine taking either her 2 door JK, or my midsize truck with a moderate lift and lockers if we were going out for more than a few days. Once our son became old enough to go camping and on long road trips with us about a year ago, I finally bit the bullet and bought a new ride for our little adventures. The biggest factor for me in getting a new rig was space and payload.

I would suggest if you're looking to go Toyota, go with a Tundra. I ended up with a 2020 F-150 Super crew cab and it has been perfect for us, and leaves us with space in case we end up increasing our roster by one in the near future.I am a big Subie guy myself having owned a couple of them over the years, but do yourself a favor and go full size if you have the room and budget and don't look back.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
IF you got the money a Landcruiser is awesome, but I am partial to my Sequoia, yes full sized to some but is actually the chassis of a Tundra, all the Toy tech with room for all and cheaper than LC's.....

Jim

AppalachianGoat

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Dillsburg, PA, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
XXXX
Service Branch
USN
I have a 7 year old in a booster, 3 year old in front facing and an 11 month old in read facing in a Chevy Colorado. I’m 5’10 and have plenty of leg room in the driver seat and the passenger has plenty of room too. You’ll need to be very careful fitting 3 across with various car seats. From what I remember the Tacoma was smaller across than the Colorado which pushed me to the Colorado. Measure across the truck to the smallest points then measure across all 3 car seats. Take the truck home and fit all 3 in there and see how it is.

NFaridi

Rank I

Contributor III

Long Island, NY, USA
First Name
Najeeb
Last Name
Faridi
If you want to stick to Toyota, a Sequoia will be all you ever need. Very spacious, very reliable, and very capable. The V8 is just glorious.

We have a 3.5 year old toddler and 1 year old twins. Can fit 3 across the middle row if we want.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I vote Yukon, Suburban, Excersion. As the kids get older the more stuff you will be bringing with you…. And the kids will want to bring their friends. On second thought, a van Would be perfect.

I took my wife’s 4Runner on a couple of trips this year with her 16 year old and my 19 year old, and we were cramped… ended up turning our 14 day trip down to a 4 day trip because we were uncomfortable.

Reactions: Anak

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I have a 4th Gen 4runner and the Wife has a gx470. One issue with the 4runners. If it has the 3rd row seating option there is only 2 sets of carseat latches in the second row. One set straddles the middle and outboard seat. So if you have three carseats only one of them will be latched down using the carseat anchors. The 4runner's without the 3rd row option have three sets of carseat latch anchors.

I would look at the LX470/GX470 or Sequoia. Our first choice for the wife was the Sequoia but we couldn't find anything in the Northeast that was decent.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I vote Yukon, Suburban, Excersion. As the kids get older the more stuff you will be bringing with you…. And the kids will want to bring their friends. On second thought, a van Would be perfect.

I took my wife’s 4Runner on a couple of trips this year with her 16 year old and my 19 year old, and we were cramped… ended up turning our 14 day trip down to a 4 day trip because we were uncomfortable.
Words of wisdom.

We are a family of 5. I do Jeep trips with the three boys in an XJ. If The Bride is going along then it is the Suburban.

Cruiser_CO

Rank I

Member I

Fort Collins, Larimer County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

We have 4 kids ranging from 6-15 and pull a pop-up camper for family camping. We love our 100 series Land Cruiser. V8 for the mountain passes and pop-up duty. 3rd row seat.

We generally pull 1 side of the split 3rd row for gear storage. I would recommend a platform roof rack to store cases. Only downside is independent front suspension but in reality for what it's been commissioned for, it does it's job great! I didn't realize the 1st Gen Sequoia has a solid front axle.

I'd say either of those rigs would be fantastic options!