3 Days in VA

• HTML tutorial

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Thank you so much for the info! Are there any you can’t drive a truck on?

I am planning 2 days of exploring in the area. One day will be an “easy” day consisting of MABDR3 which includes flagpole knob.

The 2nd day would be a bit more adventurous, will probably include big levels to start day and, if time permits, another trail. Although we might just relax at camp or go for a hike after that.

Is there time to do a taskers gap or peters mill run area trail in the same day as big levels? Or is that a bit ambitious?
No problem..

Going backto my previous post.. you can drive 433, 553. The others you listed, no.

As for running Big Levels and PMR/TG the same day?. My opinion is doable pending how fast you run them and chasing day light. Haha. Dang sure a long day but I’ve never tried it.

NOW HEAR THIS.... My doable, and your doable, are two different things. so keep that in mind.

I would say an almost no issue in the summer. This time of year, it’s all how early/late in the dark you wanna play. You will definitely spend more time at BL than PMR. I would also have someone with you for BL if you’ve never been. The mud holes can be deep and very long across if we’ve had a lot of rain. Take waders if you have them. Not trying to scare ya, just being realistic, thats all.

While it’s at the front of my head.. Big levels has cell service for a good portion of the trail. There is a sign posted a little ways in on both ends with an emergency number to call if needed. PMR/TG. Very spotty if any.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Thank you so much for the info! Are there any you can’t drive a truck on?

I am planning 2 days of exploring in the area. One day will be an “easy” day consisting of MABDR3 which includes flagpole knob.

The 2nd day would be a bit more adventurous, will probably include big levels to start day and, if time permits, another trail. Although we might just relax at camp or go for a hike after that.

Is there time to do a taskers gap or peters mill run area trail in the same day as big levels? Or is that a bit ambitious?
No problem..

Going backto my previous post.. you can drive 433, 553. The others you listed, no.

As for running Big Levels and PMR/TG the same day?. My opinion is doable pending how fast you run them and chasing day light. Haha. Dang sure a long day but I’ve never tried it.

NOW HEAR THIS.... My doable, and your doable, are two different things. so keep that in mind.

I would say an almost no issue in the summer. This time of year, it’s all how early/late in the dark you wanna play. You will definitely spend more time at BL than PMR. I would also have someone with you for BL if you’ve never been. The mud holes can be deep and very long across if we’ve had a lot of rain. Take waders if you have them. Not trying to scare ya, just being realistic, thats all.

While it’s at the front of my head.. Big levels has cell service for a good portion of the trail. There is a sign posted a little ways in on both ends with an emergency number to call if needed. PMR/TG. Very spotty if any.
Thanks so much, this is all good info!

Since this trip is not just me I am glad you mentioned how we might have different ideas of doable. We are on the same page I think.

I think trying to do both sections in one day might be too ambitious

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Keep me posted for April
Will do

The current plan is to go up to Flagpole Knob from Switzer Lake on 7 April at around noon.

Not sure where I plan to camp that night, possibly around big levels, so I can head north on the MABDR from Covington VA to Moorefield VA with a stop at Reddish Knob

If anyone has any recommendation for a place to camp for a night near Moorefield that’d be awesome

Reactions: DevilDodge

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Are there any ham or GMRS repeaters that can be reached from around Flagpole Knob?
I found some HAM, on a quick search..

I think GMRS repeaters are private. and you have to ask for permission to use them.

Reactions: Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Are there any ham or GMRS repeaters that can be reached from around Flagpole Knob?
I found some HAM, on a quick search..

I think GMRS repeaters are private. and you have to ask for permission to use them.

@Hafaday you are awesome! Thank you! Do you have any personal experience using a radio in the area or hitting a repeater over there?

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

@Hafaday you are awesome! Thank you! Do you have any personal experience using a radio in the area or hitting a repeater over there?
Haha. Me.... awesome...... that’s very subjective pending who you talk too.

I don’t have my HAM license yet (but I will get it one day). So no info on that level.

That said, Using GMRS has been fine talking truck to trucks when in a group run. I have heard rumors of guys being able to hear and talk from FP down to people towards the bottom of Union Springs (trail start-ish). How true this is, I’m unsure of. But antenna choice did play into it from what I hear, being a higher gain mobile antenna. I do have a 6db gain antenna for my mobile radio, but have yet to install. As for my radio... I have the Midland MXT115. I dig it for the few times I’ve used it.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Haha. Me.... awesome...... that’s very subjective pending who you talk too.

I don’t have my HAM license yet (but I will get it one day). So no info on that level.

That said, Using GMRS has been fine talking truck to trucks when in a group run. I have heard rumors of guys being able to hear and talk from FP down to people towards the bottom of Union Springs (trail start-ish). How true this is, I’m unsure of. But antenna choice did play into it from what I hear, being a higher gain mobile antenna. I do have a 6db gain antenna for my mobile radio, but have yet to install. As for my radio... I have the Midland MXT115. I dig it for the few times I’ve used it.
Getting the technician license was easy. There is an app that gives you the answers, you just memorize it. What’s your GMRS callsign? I’m interested in getting a GMRS specific antenna. I currently use a 1/4 wave and a 5/8 wave firestiks for VHF but that isn’t ideal for GMRS. What antenna is that you have?

Reactions: Hafaday

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Getting the technician license was easy. There is an app that gives you the answers, you just memorize it. What’s your GMRS callsign? I’m interested in getting a GMRS specific antenna. I currently use a 1/4 wave and a 5/8 wave firestiks for VHF but that isn’t ideal for GMRS. What antenna is that you have?
Rite rite. My problem is... My memory has gone down the crapper. :laughing: I do need to start studying again.
WRHZ203
This antenna from Midland. MicroMobile® MXTA26 6db Gain Whip Antenna | Midland Radio I'll get it mounted up one day. but so far, the stocker that came with the kit has been ok in the hills.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Rite rite. My problem is... My memory has gone down the crapper. :laughing: I do need to start studying again.
WRHZ203
This antenna from Midland. MicroMobile® MXTA26 6db Gain Whip Antenna | Midland Radio I'll get it mounted up one day. but so far, the stocker that came with the kit has been ok in the hills.
That’s a 5/8 wave, in the hills you might be disappointed compared to a 1/4 wave. I keep the shorter 1/4 wave on the truck because of the height but also I live in a valley and it beats out the 5/8 locally. From mountain top to mountain top that midland should be really impressive on 462.

Dengz ... just realized it cost as much as my 2 antennas combined lol

WRJD392
I’m on Zello also. Usually on broadnet systems repeaters

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

That’s a 5/8 wave, in the hills you might be disappointed compared to a 1/4 wave. I keep the shorter 1/4 wave on the truck because of the height but also I live in a valley and it beats out the 5/8 locally. From mountain top to mountain top that midland should be really impressive on 462.

WRJD392
Gotcha.. See, I have forgot the waves / freq's already. Never heard of the Zello. Will look it up.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH

WRJD392
Gotcha.. See, I have forgot the waves / freq's already. Never heard of the Zello. Will look it up.
I think the app is called hamstudy, you can go to hamstudy.org too. I learned everything from practice lol
For the test I just learned if question asks “A” the answer is “B” etc
It’s amazing how much better VHF performs compared to GMRS

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #