Alex
Last Name
Kaliniowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKU477
Service Branch
USAF
I’m also thinking about doing Peters Mill Run. Has anyone done that? How does that compare with Flagpole Knob?
Peters mill is pretty tame. Which way did you go to Flag pole? By the lake, Union Springs road, or the gravel road?

Reactions: MadMedic

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
I’m also thinking about doing Peters Mill Run. Has anyone done that? How does that compare with Flagpole Knob?
Peters mill is pretty tame. Which way did you go to Flag pole? By the lake, Union Springs road, or the gravel road?
Up Switzer Lake Rd (southbound) and Down Union Springs (eastbound)

Im thinking of doing something of a loop
Wednesday going down (southbound) Peters Mill Run - Flagpole Knob - a stop at Reddish Knob - then heading back north up MABDR section 3 on Thursday

OR

the reverse of that

Reactions: sappy96

sappy96

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

King George, VA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Kaliniowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKU477
Service Branch
USAF
Peters Mill is easier than switzer lake to flagpole IMHO. If that's all your looking for that's fine. Some other, more technical trails are Bald Mountain Jeep Trail/Big Levels, and Potts Mountain Jeep Trail.
Some easier ones near flagpole are second mountain trail, and dictum trail.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Peters Mill is easier than switzer lake to flagpole IMHO. If that's all your looking for that's fine. Some other, more technical trails are Bald Mountain Jeep Trail/Big Levels, and Potts Mountain Jeep Trail.
I try to stay away from in-and-out trails just because I like the feeling of have a destination/route... I guess feeling like I’m going somewhere.

Otherwise I would’ve done dictum and second mountain on my last trip, they looked fun.

I’m usually looking for a scenic drive with some challenges sprinkled along the way.

I would LOVE to do big levels but it is not a game I want to play solo

Reactions: DevilDodge

sappy96

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

King George, VA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Kaliniowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKU477
Service Branch
USAF
I try to stay away from in-and-out trails just because I like the feeling of have a destination/route... I guess feeling like I’m going somewhere.

Otherwise I would’ve done dictum and second mountain on my last trip, they looked fun.

I’m usually looking for a scenic drive with some challenges sprinkled along the way.

I would LOVE to do big levels but it is not a game I want to play solo
Second mountain is only in-out sometimes. I went this past weekend and drove through from Long Run Road.

As far as big levels, if you're planning this far in advance you should definitely be able to get some additional vehicles.

Reactions: Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
So I got this map here of all the routes I have in the area (thanks to @Boucher )

I am taking in all input, please don’t hold back. All opinions and ideas, comments etc

It looks like much of these trails are pretty spread out.

Each colour of the BDR routes is a full day of driving.
These tend to not to be too challenging and usually just need 4WD in a few locations but are interesting and scenic, I imagine probably comparable to driving Peter’s Mill Run for 8 hours straight...maybe with a little more pavement and scenic views woven in.

It takes me about 5 1/2 hours to get to the area and another 5 1/2 to get back. If I don’t stop for food.

Speaking of food, I’m sure you guys probably know of a great local spot for coffee and/or food.

I think I will be camping Wednesday night, I’m assuming after a BDR section and then Thursday hitting the trails. Probably camping again down there again Thursday night.
Or hit the trails on Wednesday and take the BDR back home.

I just realized I didn’t put dictum in the picture, but I have it. Are there any more interesting trails in the area?

How long does it take to do big levels?

Any preference on doing trails on Wednesday vs Thursday?

Attachments

Reactions: DevilDodge

Defiant Offroad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia / Florida
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Force
Member #

Hey buddy, this is "JEEPASAUR".
Your truck should be fine to tackle Big Levels. It's not a hard trail, but like I was telling you on YT, the water pits can be tricky. I've had to pluck a couple of people out that got high-centered in them. Just be aware, with Big Levels, is that when you reach the stretch closest to the Blue Ridge Parkway, you will get pinstriping from the rhododendron. Big Levels also has decent camp sites, some of which have nice overviews of the valley. It's a really nice trail, but during the summer it's heavily trafficked.
I haven't done the MABDR or Allegheny route. I would be interested in hitting those, so keep me in the loop what dates you're looking at.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Your truck should be fine to tackle Big Levels. It's not a hard trail, but like I was telling you on YT, the water pits can be tricky. I've had to pluck a couple of people out that got high-centered in them. Just be aware, with Big Levels, is that when you reach the stretch closest to the Blue Ridge Parkway, you will get pinstriping from the rhododendron. Big Levels also has decent camp sites, some of which have nice overviews of the valley. It's a really nice trail, but during the summer it's heavily trafficked.
I haven't done the MABDR or Allegheny route. I would be interested in hitting those, so keep me in the loop what dates you're looking at.
Sounds great man! Thanks for the info! If there’s multiple trucks I think I can swap Big levels in place of Peters mill run.

The camp sites you mentioned definitely sweeten the deal lol.

So I guess the next step is to find pick a month to make this happen. @sappy96 @Boucher and @Frank Force
Do you have any preference? January, February, March or April?

@Boucher I would appreciate some of your WVA suggestions also

Defiant Offroad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia / Florida
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Force
Member #

Big Levels is about to close for the season, and won't reopen until April 1st. I don't have a preference for any particular month, rather dates. My work schedule is more or less set in stone, with every other week off.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Big Levels is about to close for the season, and won't reopen until April 1st. I don't have a preference for any particular month, rather dates. My work schedule is more or less set in stone, with every other week off.
Ok so it looks like it’ll be an April, June or July trip if big levels is a must.

What do you guys think?

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
Yes water pits can be tricky, I was out there Last June in my Fj40 found out my rig was not fully locked in at the end of a very deep hole with a hidden ledge at the end, It got out fine in 2WD though

sappy96

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

King George, VA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Kaliniowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKU477
Service Branch
USAF
Sounds great man! Thanks for the info! If there’s multiple trucks I think I can swap Big levels in place of Peters mill run.

So I guess the next step is to find pick a month to make this happen. @sappy96 @Boucher and @Frank Force

I can usually take leave whenever with enough notice, with a few exceptions.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH

I can usually take leave whenever with enough notice, with a few exceptions.
Ok, the wife wants to go in April. That’s our target month. Probably either 4/7/21 - 4/8/21 or 4/14/21 - 4/15/21

Reactions: sappy96

Defiant Offroad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia / Florida
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Force
Member #

Yes water pits can be tricky, I was out there Last June in my Fj40 found out my rig was not fully locked in at the end of a very deep hole with a hidden ledge at the end, It got out fine in 2WD though
The last time I went out there, most of the water hazards were bone dry. It was the only time that I've been there and seen almost no water. Other times, I've seen the water level so high that even going around them involved 4-Low and a bit of luck.

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Is anyone familiar with tasters gap?
I’m teeing all of these trail numbers like 433, 457, 474, 493-5 and 553.
Are these trails to drive on?
Is this a recommended spot?
Been awhile since I’ve checked in to the site here.

433 and 553 are the only trails/forest roads a OHV can be on. The rest are for ATV’s, SXS’s and motorcycles, but they can be on these two as well. 433 is a through road that is getting chewed up more and more every year. 553 is a in, turn around, an out. Both are a single lane to a point with on coming traffic. For the most part. Everyone plays nice for passing.

This area is known as PMR (Peters Mill Run) and Taskers Gap. One of the few legal places in the National Forest the other non licensed toys can play on, assuming they bought a pass. Same goes with OHV’s.. $5. a day. Even this trail system shuts down from Jan. 1 thru the end of March, sometimes later, wether permitting.

I still like to go out there every now and then but it’s getting old for me. I Usually go early spring and late fall, especially if it has just rained (Can have the whole thing to yourself.). Summers will be dusty as hell Unless it has just rained, but will dry out quickly For the most part.

That said.... Do not let my words above sway your thoughts at all. Go do it!

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Is anyone familiar with tasters gap?
I’m teeing all of these trail numbers like 433, 457, 474, 493-5 and 553.
Are these trails to drive on?
Is this a recommended spot?
Been awhile since I’ve checked in to the site here.

433 and 553 are the only trails/forest roads a OHV can be on. The rest are for ATV’s, SXS’s and motorcycles, but they can be on these two as well. 433 is a through road that is getting chewed up more and more every year. 553 is a in, turn around, an out. Both are a single lane to a point with on coming traffic. For the most part. Everyone plays nice for passing.

This area is known as PMR (Peters Mill Run) and Taskers Gap. One of the few legal places in the National Forest the other non licensed toys can play on, assuming they bought a pass. Same goes with OHV’s.. $5. a day. Even this trail system shuts down from Jan. 1 thru the end of March, sometimes later, wether permitting.

I still like to go out there every now and then but it’s getting old for me. I Usually go early spring and late fall, especially if it has just rained (Can have the whole thing to yourself.). Summers will be dusty as hell Unless it has just rained, but will dry out quickly For the most part.

That said.... Do not let my words above sway your thoughts at all. Go do it!
Thank you so much for the info! Are there any you can’t drive a truck on?

I am planning 2 days of exploring in the area. One day will be an “easy” day consisting of MABDR3 which includes flagpole knob.

The 2nd day would be a bit more adventurous, will probably include big levels to start day and, if time permits, another trail. Although we might just relax at camp or go for a hike after that.

Is there time to do a taskers gap or peters mill run area trail in the same day as big levels? Or is that a bit ambitious?

Reactions: Hafaday