SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Mine is the Sport so it's mechanical limited slip. Works good, but not as good as a locker. I've flirted with the idea of going with an ARB but so far this has been just fine. The softopper is great. It's five years old now and treats me well. Super easy to fold down so you can haul something tall. Takes like a minute or less. But mine is up most of the time. Keeps things dry and most of the dust out. But it's not 100%. Good enough for my needs. As you would with a hard top, you should seal up any bed cubbies. That's where most of the off-road dirt comes in. I sleep back there on trips where it's just my son and I. Take naps on my lunch breaks at work since we don't have break rooms. Love that you can run them in safari mode with the sides up.

I wrote a big review about it a few years ago:

I'll have to check that out when I'm not at work... sleeping in the back is one of the drawing factors of getting this soft topper for my partner so that sounds like it'd be good for that...

Reactions: dirtnsmores

Jmbradleymd

Rank I

Contributor III

Willards, Wicomico County, Maryland, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Bradley
First day out in my Prerunner on Assateague OSV MD side. I've been on with 4wd in the past so I was a little worried. Watched a 5th gen 4runner in front of me get stuck on the hill getting on and a few other 4wd rigs. Needless to say I had no issues getting on the beach nor leaving the beach. 315/70/17 6" lift and 10psi and easy on the skinny pedal and my rig did great.

Attachments

dirtnsmores

Rank II

Enthusiast III

southern california
First Name
Mike
Last Name
M
First day out in my Prerunner on Assateague OSV MD side. I've been on with 4wd in the past so I was a little worried. Watched a 5th gen 4runner in front of me get stuck on the hill getting on and a few other 4wd rigs. Needless to say I had no issues getting on the beach nor leaving the beach. 315/70/17 6" lift and 10psi and easy on the skinny pedal and my rig did great.
Glad it went well for you. One of my worst fears is sand and beach with my prerunner

Jmbradleymd

Rank I

Contributor III

First Name
Jason
Last Name
Bradley
Glad it went well for you. One of my worst fears is sand and beach with my prerunner
Mine was as well and to be honest it still will be for the next few trips. I was more worried about leaving because it had been 90°F for a few hours, so the sand was really hot and the exit was very rutted and I watch multiple trucks spin and get stuck trying to leave. Once we got off to air up. I gave my truck a pat on the dash and a attaboy.

dirtnsmores

Rank II

Enthusiast III

southern california
First Name
Mike
Last Name
M
Mine was as well and to be honest it still will be for the next few trips. I was more worried about leaving because it had been 90°F for a few hours, so the sand was really hot and the exit was very rutted and I watch multiple trucks spin and get stuck trying to leave. Once we got off to air up. I gave my truck a pat on the dash and a attaboy.
Airing down is probably the key, right? I wonder if the other trucks were aired down that got stuck

Reactions: rho

Jmbradleymd

Rank I

Contributor III

First Name
Jason
Last Name
Bradley
Airing down is probably the key, right? I wonder if the other trucks were aired down that got stuck
Airing down makes all the difference. Also, having a reasonable amount of sidewall too. Throttle control is another key thing to pay attention to. Slow and steady and no sharp turns.

Reactions: rho and dirtnsmores

dirtnsmores

Rank II

Enthusiast III

southern california
First Name
Mike
Last Name
M
I figured I'd start up a 2wd pic thread for those who dare explore in their 2wd rigs.

Here's my partner sending it down Steele Pass in Death Valley. This is her 2003 GMC Sierra... somehow she hasn't blown up the G80 in the rear yet, but it's not for lack of trying.View attachment 175755
Okay so steele pass is doable in 2 wheel drive? LOL. I'm going with a group and they said I will be fine going down Lippincott road, to the hot springs in saline Valley, and then out Steele pass to eureka dunes. Does that sound doable? I'm in a lifted 2 wheel drive Tacoma with sliders

Last edited:
Reactions: MSD

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

I figured I'd start up a 2wd pic thread for those who dare explore in their 2wd rigs.

Here's my partner sending it down Steele Pass in Death Valley. This is her 2003 GMC Sierra... somehow she hasn't blown up the G80 in the rear yet, but it's not for lack of trying.View attachment 175755
Okay so steele pass is doable in 2 wheel drive? LOL. I'm going with a group and they said I will be fine going down Lippincott road, to the hot springs in saline Valley, and then out Steele pass to eureka dunes. Does that sound doable? I'm in a lifted 2 wheel drive Tacoma with sliders
I’d say yes as long as your group is willing to wait as you’ll drive technical stuff differently. Also I figure those in your group have a winch or maybe you have one on you rig which help out a lot when a2wd or locked 2wd can’t do it.

dirtnsmores

Rank II

Enthusiast III

southern california
First Name
Mike
Last Name
M
I’d say yes as long as your group is willing to wait as you’ll drive technical stuff differently. Also I figure those in your group have a winch or maybe you have one on you rig which help out a lot when a2wd or locked 2wd can’t do it.
Yeah they all have set up rigs with winches. I think the way we are going is downhill so hopefully I don't have to use any of that. Just take it slow and easy

JDCarguy

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Sheridan wyoming
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Cattaneo
Member #

No in action photos yet, but a new family camping project. 1994 gmc vandura 2500! An oldie, but a goodie. Just bolted the rear bench back in it yesterday. Lots more planned!

Attachments

Reactions: rho

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
No in action photos yet, but a new family camping project. 1994 gmc vandura 2500! An oldie, but a goodie. Just bolted the rear bench back in it yesterday. Lots more planned!
That'll be a fun project! Good tires and maybe a LSD or locker in the rear will get that down a lot of dirt roads.

Reactions: JDCarguy

Drunk_Dog

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Texas, USA
First Name
Cole
Last Name
Wersterfer
No we didn’t. The group wanted to do River road and eat lunch down on the river.
I'm headed down there February 23rd till 26th was planning on doing River Road since it'll be solo and I won't have help for a recovery if something happens.... that is unless ya'll have suggestions or want to join.

Reactions: Sparksalot