SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I figured I'd start up a 2wd pic thread for those who dare explore in their 2wd rigs.

Here's my partner sending it down Steele Pass in Death Valley. This is her 2003 GMC Sierra... somehow she hasn't blown up the G80 in the rear yet, but it's not for lack of trying.received_827721451371728.jpeg

Maedge

Rank III

Member III

Washington, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Etheredge
Member #

My chevy! Wife took me up a mountain trail near where she grew up we were able to go up quite a ways, but the narrow the roads got and the looser the rocks became, we decided to turn around. We’ve got quality tires but this baby doesn’t have a lsd or rear locking diff yet EF22D608-6E8A-4E3B-8631-AE6A200CC679.jpegEF22D608-6E8A-4E3B-8631-AE6A200CC679.jpegA4646F0F-C958-4873-92BC-4EC93C5DF772.jpeg

Attachments

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Very nice! the 2wd trucks can get surprisingly far, adding a rear locker will go a long way in them as well. Airing down and good tires help as well... but you do need to keep the limits of the truck in mind....

Reactions: zann68 and Dilldog

Maedge

Rank III

Member III

Washington, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Etheredge
Member #

Very nice! the 2wd trucks can get surprisingly far, adding a rear locker will go a long way in them as well. Airing down and good tires help as well... but you do need to keep the limits of the truck in mind....
There's a pretty nifty shop in Washington state called Das Mule; one finances allow for it, I plan to take my truck to them to let them install an air compressor so that I can deflate/inflate my wheels when needed. Not sure if I should do that before or after I save up the cash to add the rear locker. Wish I had the mechanical knowledge to do it myself...

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
There's a pretty nifty shop in Washington state called Das Mule; one finances allow for it, I plan to take my truck to them to let them install an air compressor so that I can deflate/inflate my wheels when needed. Not sure if I should do that before or after I save up the cash to add the rear locker. Wish I had the mechanical knowledge to do it myself...
What part of WA are you in? I have a spare little 12volt compressor I could toss your way.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
You could just buy a compressor that will service just fine. No need for a shop to "install" it. Just pull it out of the bag and clip it to your battery when needed.

Maedge

Rank III

Member III

Washington, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Etheredge
Member #

What part of WA are you in? I have a spare little 12volt compressor I could toss your way.
I’m in the Olympia area

Maedge

Rank III

Member III

Washington, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Etheredge
Member #

You could just buy a compressor that will service just fine. No need for a shop to "install" it. Just pull it out of the bag and clip it to your battery when needed.
That would probably be best solution - didn’t even think of that

Reactions: rho

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Extreme water crossing on the trail to the Highland Lakes in the Sierras.

buwahahaha

The places ive seen people get FWD cars...lol.
Heres a rental RAV4 I had on a work trip to LA. It did surprisingly well given it was front wheel drive and we only aired down a tiny bit.. Traction was an issue on these steep af fire roads tho...

20190515_172436.jpg

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
buwahahaha

The places ive seen people get FWD cars...lol.
Heres a rental RAV4 I had on a work trip to LA. It did surprisingly well given it was front wheel drive and we only aired down a tiny bit.. Traction was an issue on these steep af fire roads tho...
When you run out of traction on a hill you just need a bigger running start. :)

Last year I spent a week driving a 2wd minivan around the southern tip of Baja California on a variety of dirt roads, ruts, sand, and mud. It did great, scraped the ground a lot but we never got high centered.

Reactions: rho and Thewheelman