Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Alu-cab, at double the price, or Kinsmen, at over triple. I would have gone with the Kinsmen if he made a 180; instead I picked the OVS 180 over the 23Zero 180. Still waiting for a June shipment.

rsweet

Rank V

Member III

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
Alu-cab, at double the price, or Kinsmen, at over triple. I would have gone with the Kinsmen if he made a 180; instead I picked the OVS 180 over the 23Zero 180. Still waiting for a June shipment.
Alu-Cab is not twice the price, 1400 vs 900 for the OVS. Buy once, cry once. Alu-Cab is used in harsh environments and has been around for a long time. Plus you have import cost...not from China. Three velcro straps and my awning is up in a couple of minutes and can stand up to very heavy winds with no issues. Very well thought out.

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
If Alu-Cab or Kinsmen made a 180 I would have eagerly bought either. In order to buy once/cry once, the option needs to first be available. A 270 just won't work with a 4Runner tailgate - not with the gate all the way up, and a gate halfway up would have me hitting my head every time I turned the corner.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

270s are amazing but my priorities say

stable in a sudden wind
I can afford to replace it after a sudden wind

so most commercial awnings sold start expensive and end up completely unaffordable after a sudden wind
My next project is a hardware store tarp thing. homebilt

Ryanmdavis26

Rank 0

Contributor I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Davis

Amount of coverage
Durability
Flexibility in adding sidewalls or extensions
Ease of operation
Not just for sun, but for rain and cold too.

I have a BAA (big-assed-awning) and love it. I've spent too much time under single sided awnings on one side of a vehicle that don't reach far enough, don't provide enough shade as the earth turns and sun is higher, lower.

I do a lot of base camping, so prefer an awning that will do what I need throughout the whole day, for several days or weeks. Mine is considered a 360, in that it wraps both ends and an entire side of whatever it is mounted to. I have mine mounted to a rack on my trailer that I raise in camp, lower for travel.

I LOVE that it provides the coverage that it does, and regularly appreciate that I have coverage over both the nose box and tailgate of my trailer, and that I can back the van's back doors right up to the awning and open them under cover.

It is quick and easy to deploy, and quick and easy to stow.

I have triangle-shaped corner extensions that attach via 2" wide HD hook & loops (rugged even in high winds) to square off each end. My side walls can attach to both the awning and extensions. The awning and corner extensions all have an aluminized resin coating on top that helps reflect, not transmit, the heat of the sun. Even in the desert with open sides, you can feel the difference just walking under it.

The corner extensions are a breeze to attach and stake out.

View attachment 191645
This config has the corner extensions added on this end. That gives me almost 16' across under cover on the end.

Without the extensions, poles are not needed. The extra weight of the large corner extensions and that they have no support arms, but just attach to the hem of the main awning, creates the need for poles. I like having the poles, actually, as it provides more stability in a wider range of weather conditions and provides also attachments points for sidewalls.

View attachment 191647
This give a better idea of how the triangle corner extensions attach and of the shape of the main awning. The other end is symmetrical to this one.

View attachment 191648
Main awning only, no corner extensions, no poles other than one at the right end, which I had up to attach a windbreak on that side the night before, and knowing I'd probably put it back up, left the pole in place.

View attachment 191646
Front side view of main awning with triangle corner extensions squaring off both ends, for close to 16' x 24' under cover.

I will sometimes back up so I know one of the rear corner extensions will be over an existing firepit, or a spot I will build a fire in my flatpack firepit, so even on a night with hard rain, I can have a fire under the awning's edge.

View attachment 191649
In this one, I'm just running my propane fire ring. Wicked handy to have in those places that do not allow ground fires of wood, firepits, etc.

One of my favorite things to do when base camping is to experiment with all these different configurations; walls straight down or flared out, open on one end or enclosed as much as possible, etc.

That's a lot of room under cover, with almost 8' out at awning level and more at foot level with the flare.
View attachment 191650

I'm sewing more panels; some with zippered doors for when I close things in more, some as much narrower gap fillers with HD zippers, for filling in between when I flare out the walls this much:

View attachment 191651
What I've found in experimenting so much with different configs, is that you really don't need to close it in as much as you might think to stay warm, or cool. Sometimes just a wall or two on the windward, or sunny, side works wonders in increasing comfort.

The main awning zips up nicely in its own bag on the side of the rack--quicker and easier to do than you might think--and all the corner extensions and side walls fold up into a short 15" x 15" pile. The sidewalls are of a much thinner material than the awning extensions, of course.

This kind of awning certainly isn't for everyone, and because it is bigger than many, even without the extensions (almost 8' in each direction), you need to keep an eye on it in big winds. It'll take a lot, but get out in the desert with straight line winds or in the mountains with storms that are knocking out power everywhere, and you're better off folding her up, like most any awning.

Those are the kinds of things I wanted in my awning, and poked around and explored until I found what would do what I want, in as many different ways as possible. I couldn't be more pleased.

Hello! Question, is the name of this awning really “big assed awning”? Because I tried to google that and got some questionable results!

Reactions: Viking1204 and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hello! Question, is the name of this awning really “big assed awning”? Because I tried to google that and got some questionable results!
Ha! No, oh my.

That's just my name for it. It's a Bundutec, from South Africa, sold here in the states by the great folks at BunduTecUSA in Raymond Iowa. Two of my favorite adventure gear business people.

Mine is the Standard 360 Bunduawn. I've used it all over, from the lakeside in New England to the borderlands of west Texas and pretty much everywhere in between. I love it.

BBRM-190314-panocropfwt-2302-1080.jpg
Here's it's in the Chihuahuan Desert, guyed out for the strong winds that like to kick up suddenly out there, because I camped in this one spot for about a week and would often be away from camp for several hours. It doesn't need poles or guy lines for support when set up, but they sure help in some situations.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else about Bunduawns.

Last edited:

Ryanmdavis26

Rank 0

Contributor I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Davis
Ha! No, oh my.

That's just my name for it. It's a Bundutec, from South Africa, sold here in the states by the great folks at BunduTecUSA in Raymond Iowa. Two of my favorite adventure gear business people.

Mine is the Standard 360 Bunduawn. I've used it all over, from the lakeside in New England to the borderlands of west Texas and pretty much everywhere in between. I love it.

View attachment 197045
Here's it's in the Chihuahuan Desert, guyed out for the strong winds that like to kick up suddenly out there, because I camped in this one spot for about a week and would often be away from camp for several hours. It doesn't need poles or guy lines for support when set up, but they sure help in some situations.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else about Bunduawns.

Thanks a ton for the information! I had looked at BunduTec previously but thought it was a little strange that they charged extra for the poles! But I really like the “360” aspect so may just bite the bullet.
I see you have the Schutt Xv2 Trailer! That’s awesome - I had contacted them earlier this year and asked how I could pre-order them and they said they were so backed up that they’re not even taking preorders and then I never heard back. I ended up going with a brand out of California, called TribeTrailer, we haven’t taken it out for her maiden voyage yet but so far very happy with it - currently trying to outfit it with of course an awning and water heater!

Reactions: Road

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
I’m still torn (no pun intended) on which one to get. I’m leaning towards the OVS mainly due to price and some positive comments. I would love to here more comments if anyone has any.

The other two options for me are the Quick Pitch and the Alu-Cab. I have products from both of these companies and the quality is first rate.
Here is a video I found comparing those two...

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Thanks a ton for the information! I had looked at BunduTec previously but thought it was a little strange that they charged extra for the poles! But I really like the “360” aspect so may just bite the bullet.
I see you have the Schutt Xv2 Trailer! That’s awesome - I had contacted them earlier this year and asked how I could pre-order them and they said they were so backed up that they’re not even taking preorders and then I never heard back. I ended up going with a brand out of California, called TribeTrailer, we haven’t taken it out for her maiden voyage yet but so far very happy with it - currently trying to outfit it with of course an awning and water heater!
You bet, my pleasure.

They are heavy duty, to be sure, and have an aluminized resin-coated topside, so are super at reflecting the heat. The wind will catch it, though, like any awning, and you'll snap a strut if not careful. Easy to repair in the field, though. I carry an extra strut just in case.

I have a Bunduawn 270 for the van passenger side, too, that I haven't put on yet, as I haven't finalized what I might do for a pop top.

It's a big awning (and I think mine is the smaller of the two 360 sizes) and reaches out almost eight feet in each direction. Easy and quick to deploy, easy and quick to stow back away once you get the hang of it, though it is certainly not an awning for everyone, because it's as large as it is. I like basecamping a lot, where I set up the trailer in the same spot for days, sometimes weeks, at a time and then go adventuring from there in my van, canoe, or bike. So it suits me well to set up a larger living space under the awning.

Set up for a week of cold-weather camping:

coldweather_5639.jpg
With sidewalls attached and flared out at the bottom, and a propane fire ring going, it's a very comfortable and large footprint under cover.

I'm sewing up some skirts for the trailer sides and end to keep the under-trailer drafts to a minimum. They'll attach universally with marine snaps.

I love playing with awning arrangements.