Oregon
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Brubaker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7QYW
I'm trying to figure out a camping solution for my family of 4 out of my Jeep Wrangler. The iKamper would be a good RTT for fitting my family, but I don't really want a giant bubble sticking off the top of my Jeep. I was thinking about getting a Roofnest Falcon for me and my wife and having the kids sleep in the Jeep (fold the rear seats down. No platform, but using ground pads). However my wife wants me to figure out a way that we can all sleep together.

I don't really like traditional ground tents because there are enough chores associated with breaking down camp so I want it to be fast and efficient (Were going to Glacier national park this summer and I want to be out of camp early to beat the crowds to the trailheads).

I was thinking of getting a 270° awning with walls and getting all 4 of us to sleep out of that with some cots that I could fold up quickly to not deal with air mattresses.

My question: Has anybody lived out of an awning for a week? At glacier it can have bad weather even in the summer. Will the awning and walls keep the rain off us? I know there are some gaps with the awnings with walls, but will they cause issues in the rain if your trying to sleep in the awning?

I'm currently looking at the 23Zero Peregrine and the Overland Vehicle Systems Awnings if that helps.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I've slept under my redneck awning many a times but wouldn't bother during bad weather for the reasons mentioned above. My go to spot to sleep is inside the Jeep using it as a big tent but with a family of 4 that's difficult unless the kids are pretty small.

benb

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Oregon
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Brubaker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7QYW
Thanks guys! I'm either going to do an iKamper or find some kind of quick pitch tent and some quick to deploy bedding (cots or closed cell foam pads, etc).