Nybro, Kalmar, Sweden
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Service Branch
Services
My plan this fall has been to upgrade to a 270° awning form my Land Rover. With demand very high and supply very low in Europe selection is thin at best, sizes and colors are nearly " what you is what you can buy".
With that said, a 2.0m awning (olive green) is available for purchase but not in the color that I want to match my new Eezi-awn Blade rooftop tent. (Grey canvas & black top). I can buy a 2.5m awning in the correct color (grey) BUT the question now is if a 2.5m awning on my Land Rover Series 3 88'" is too long and look out of place? I have a pull out awning now that is 2.0m which fits exactly the length of the roof line.
Ok the new rooftop tent is longer to and will hang out over the back by approx 30cm so if I install an 270° awning that is 2.5m long, trying to evenly space it on the roof so that it does stick out approx 20ish cm forward and 30cm to the rear not exceeding the length of the rtt. ......all of this is to get the same matching color for an awning....or do I don't give a hoot about colors and buy the green 2.0m awning ???
I can imagine someone thinking just wait for the next shipment from South Africa but that expected delivery date as of today is not till March/April next year and I've already been wait to this point. PLUS there is a waiting list and I have no idea where I stand on that list, so no guarantee that I would get one in time for next summer.

Confused.....

Todd Jackson

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Nybro, Kalmar, Sweden
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Service Branch
Services
It's been a while since I've started this thread, should update it, eh? :wink:

I eventually went with the Howling Moon 2.5m swing awn in the color green. Ok it doesn't "match" the color of the rooftop tent (black/grey) but who cares, as long as it does it's job effectively time after time then it's good enough for me.

The overhang isn't really much once it was mounted to the side of the roll cage. Also the length that the awning extends out from the side of the vehicle is not 2m or 2.5m. The 2 meter swing awning extends 1.92m and the 2.5m swing awning is 2.38m. I decided that I didn't want to loose the extended coverage from the side and once it was installed and opened, I'm so glad that I made that choice. There is approx 12 m² coverage, including 2 walls we will protected from the bad weather while still being able to enjoy the scenery.

At the end of the day I'm happy with my decision to buy when I did as their prices have gone up since.

Todd.

Attachments

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi,
Using a Howling Moon - not a 270degree one - but a 1.4m a the rear of my rig since seven years or so now. Very happy with that one! I assume that the 270 one is the same quality! Enjoy!
Safe travels,
Bjoern

Reactions: Todd Jackson

Todd Jackson

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Nybro, Kalmar, Sweden
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Service Branch
Services
I own a Quickpitch 270 free standing love it so far poles and pegs are in the same bag 2.5m and dealers in EuropeView attachment 143201
When I was researching an 270° awning, the Quickpitch was just only coming to the market and wasn't readily available, looks to be a quality product, are you happy with it?

Todd Jackson

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Nybro, Kalmar, Sweden
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Service Branch
Services
Hi,
Using a Howling Moon - not a 270degree one - but a 1.4m a the rear of my rig since seven years or so now. Very happy with that one! I assume that the 270 one is the same quality! Enjoy!
Safe travels,
Bjoern
Thanks Björn, yes they are the same quality and I hope to get as many years of use as you.

Todd.

Reactions: El-Dracho

the Dutch Wanderer

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Koudekerke, The Netherlands
First Name
Alex
Last Name
de Witte
Member #

When I was researching an 270° awning, the Quickpitch was just only coming to the market and wasn't readily available, looks to be a quality product, are you happy with it?
Very happy I have seen the howling moon, alu-cab and a Dutch brand AZARA next to each other and for me it was a nobrainer 9445BA1C-2128-431D-BC59-3D89854C5871.jpeg2E6A2830-43A4-46FC-AEC3-B7952D3F5418.jpegE36616F6-3218-453D-A667-834C7D876C1E.jpeg

Reactions: Todd Jackson

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Particularly in poor weather it as given us a lot more comfort especially with sides on and our wood burning stove
... yeah, sidewalls are also a good idea.... bit more work to put them up, so I only do that when staying longer somewhere, but very good, when colder / rainy/ snowing!
Cheers, Bjoern

Todd Jackson

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Nybro, Kalmar, Sweden
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Service Branch
Services
I agree it does take a bit longer to install the walls, but the protection that they provide is well worth it. I like the fact that Howling Moon allows you to order individually not a complete kit. We only ordered one door and one wall, which allows us the freedom to set it up as we want and still have great views.
We have used the 270° awning more than we did the straight pullout awning. Very pleased with it.