235 vs 30x9.50?

• HTML tutorial

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
So I am in the market for new tires soon. I was really set on 31’s but I think that’ll be overkill for my rig and general needs. I’ve scaled back to either a 30 or stick with my current 235’s.

I’m running some pretty worn down 235’s which barley measure to 28”. I’ve read a new true 235 will be close to 29ish inches and obviously a 30 is closer to 30!

Do any of you have first hand experience on a 235 vs 30” tire? Pricing is similar for sure. I’m not a tire snob but still want something long lasting yet durable. Any thoughts or recommendations would be great! It’s what the forums are for right!!? Cheers all!

Mitsu

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I am sure that you know this, but the taller tire will have a negative effect on the overall gear ratio and will cause the engine to work harder to move the vehicle.
With this in mind, if a 30 will fit without rubbing and not robbing too much power, I would go with the 30.
As for brand, this is very subjective and your wallet will help decide.
I know the BFG A/T KO2 is very very popular, the Yoko Geolander is popular too.
I am running EcoPath A/T's I got off Amazon and I love them. Great tires and they were half the price of the name brand stuff. Quality is top notch and they ride smooth. Off road traction has been great.
Now, I am running 235/85-16's Load range E 10 ply. But I have a 3/4 ton Suburban. You seem to have a much lighter SUV and this may have an effect in your choice.

I use this link all the time. It will allow you to compare the different tire size options for your vehicle with the effective gear ratio at the bottom.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I have recently gone from 235/75R15 BFG ATs to 30x9.50-15 Falken AT3Ws on my '96 XJ. I am happy with the switch.

But that doesn't necessarily make it a good switch for your vehicle. I would think you would get the best answers from a forum dedicated to your particular platform.

I should also note that my XJ isn't stock. I am running about 3" of lift and have re-geared to 4.10s. I know I could get away with 31s, and maybe even 33s. But I also know that larger tires bring along driveability issues. Thus far I have been fine with what everyone else regards as small tires.

Reactions: Overland_Mitsu

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
You both make great points. I don’t want to put a lot of extra unneeded stress on the motor and trans. My Mitsubishi has a CVT setup which sucks already. It moves the current 235’s very easily. The setup still feels pretty comparable to when I was stock.

I am thinking about going with the 30’s. They’re not much bigger then the 235’s and I would like a little more ground clearance for the trails we do.

I should consider looking into an aluminum wheel setup and ditching my steely’s. That would save weight as well for sure. There’s a guy on Instagram who has a CVT Subaru Forester build and he installed 31” Patagonia MT’s. I recall him stating that it was wayyy to much for his rig so I can imagine I’d be in the same boat. He is switching back down to a 30. Both our cars have similar power/ratio setups.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
I have recently gone from 235/75R15 BFG ATs to 30x9.50-15 Falken AT3Ws on my '96 XJ. I am happy with the switch.

But that doesn't necessarily make it a good switch for your vehicle. I would think you would get the best answers from a forum dedicated to your particular platform.

I should also note that my XJ isn't stock. I am running about 3" of lift and have re-geared to 4.10s. I know I could get away with 31s, and maybe even 33s. But I also know that larger tires bring along driveability issues. Thus far I have been fine with what everyone else regards as small tires.
Did you notice a big difference in the actual size of the two tires? In terms of physical height and width? Clearly the 30 is bigger... just curious on that.

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
I am sure that you know this, but the taller tire will have a negative effect on the overall gear ratio and will cause the engine to work harder to move the vehicle.
With this in mind, if a 30 will fit without rubbing and not robbing too much power, I would go with the 30.
As for brand, this is very subjective and your wallet will help decide.
I know the BFG A/T KO2 is very very popular, the Yoko Geolander is popular too.
I am running EcoPath A/T's I got off Amazon and I love them. Great tires and they were half the price of the name brand stuff. Quality is top notch and they ride smooth. Off road traction has been great.
Now, I am running 235/85-16's Load range E 10 ply. But I have a 3/4 ton Suburban. You seem to have a much lighter SUV and this may have an effect in your choice.

I use this link all the time. It will allow you to compare the different tire size options for your vehicle with the effective gear ratio at the bottom.
Thanks for the info. I use the link a lot. There is another great one too called Tiresize.com. Both work pretty well!

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Swapping out to light weight Aluminum wheels will help lower rotating mass and unsprung weight. Both will help with acceleration and ride, but will not fix the effective gearing that will ultimately reduce the power and drivability.
In the end the best set-up may be some nice aggressive 235s on some light aluminum rims. Then make a good skid plate to protect those parts that don't clear the rocks and get some good recovery gear.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Used to have 235's on my litle suv, should have gone for 225's instead.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I have run both and with only about a 1/2" difference in height you likely won't be able to tell a lot of difference.
Depending on the tire the 30x9.5 may be closer to 29" than 30".

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Did you notice a big difference in the actual size of the two tires? In terms of physical height and width? Clearly the 30 is bigger... just curious on that.
I actually could tell when it came to getting in or out of the Jeep. Not that it made it difficult, but I could detect that difference in height from the seat to the ground. Keep in mind, the 235s I replaced were fairly worn.

I have not noticed that it makes much of a difference in terms of off road performance.

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
Thanks guys. I’m definitely leaning 30’s there’s a guy on CL selling 4 30x9.50 BFG KO2’s for $500 with only a few hundred miles on them. So.... we shall see [emoji848]

Cabin Fever

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Just a thought. Make sure you are comparing the actual height of the tires. Most tires are not as tall as the sidewall numbers would suggest. When I was shopping, I discovered that the 34"s I ended up with (Nitto ridge Grappler ) were taller than some other tires marketed as 35"

Reactions: Prerunner1982

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Woot Tacoma World calculator. I use that one for all my tire calculations

Swapping out to light weight Aluminum wheels will help lower rotating mass and unsprung weight. Both will help with acceleration and ride, but will not fix the effective gearing that will ultimately reduce the power and drivability.
Very good reply. Most people don't understand this part of modifying especially how it effects brakes and suspension.

I actually could tell when it came to getting in or out of the Jeep. Not that it made it difficult, but I could detect that difference in height from the seat to the ground. Keep in mind, the 235s I replaced were fairly worn.
It's funny how you can feel the difference climbing in and out of the vehicle but, when you look at it, the Jeep doesn't look taller.

Reactions: Overland_Mitsu