Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arlington, WA
First Name
Dakota
Last Name
Howard
Member #

I’ve never posted a build thread before so I guess I’ll do this how I think it is supposed to go. So first, why an outback? Well I had an f150 that I loved but dealing with a local dealer trying to get them to honor a warranty on a known issue was impossible. So I sort of sold it to the dealer out of spite and it being during Covid I ended up getting more money that I paid for it, I wasn’t upset about it cause I hated filling it up and rode my motorcycle 99% of the time. Fast forward 5 months and I was hit by a car getting groceries nothing serious but enough to scare the lady into saying “you need another car”. The search began and a truck was out of the questions as the market was unreasonably high and still is. I had a Crosstrek before the truck that I did some mods to, so I’ve been down the road of Subaru before. I wanted something with led room being 6’5 that narrows down the options, I wanted something with good gas mileage and enough room in the back I could sleep in it. That really left me with one option and that was an outback. And it ended up actually being cheaper to get a brand new one than a used one which blew my mind. So there it is. Car currently has 22000 miles on it coming up on a year of ownership and I love the dang thing. What solidified my choice was taking it up some extremely tore up roads to get to a hiking trail. So the parts list began. Skids showed up today, overload springs are on the way along with new wheels. There’s some things I’ve bought em before this thread like an awning, roof box, and mattress for the back. I’m excited to put some solid exploring miles under the tires this year.

Attachments

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
Congrats on your new Outback. I have thoroughly enjoyed my Outback for the last decade. Mine has been modded a bit. It has been an excellent vehicle and pretty reliable.

20221209_144116.jpg

cody92595

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arlington, WA
First Name
Dakota
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Overload springs showed up today. Gonna be a busy weekend.
Stock Height or Lifted Springs?
.5” lift. I mainly just wanted to fix the subie sag. When towing the dirt bikes or have a car load of people haha. The .5” is just a bonus. Maybe end up gaining an 1” between the spring and the little bit larger tires

Reactions: Terry Pickens

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Oh man I want that tube bumper
Custom made by Stellar in Sacramento, CA back in 2019, they also did the rear bumper that holds full size spare tire, Hi-Lyft jack and 2-5 gallon gas cans. My entire build is here Another Subaru Build Thread Just take your time and build it to your requirements.

_STP0063.jpg

Reactions: cody92595

cody92595

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arlington, WA
First Name
Dakota
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Wheels on, and if anyone is a similar situation a 235/65-17 will fit in the spare compartment with the styrofoam tray removed.
Have about 200miles so far of pretty 50/50 driving. Before I got 28mpg combined. Now I get 26.5mpg combined. I expected more so I’m very happy with this. The ride with the over load springs is a bit more firm but in a good way if that makes sense.

Attachments

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Wheels on, and if anyone is a similar situation a 235/65-17 will fit in the spare compartment with the styrofoam tray removed.
Have about 200miles so far of pretty 50/50 driving. Before I got 28mpg combined. Now I get 26.5mpg combined. I expected more so I’m very happy with this. The ride with the over load springs is a bit more firm but in a good way if that makes sense.
Load up all your heaviest belongings, remove the rear sway bar, and hit some trails or the beach. Unlike front springs the rear springs will only break in from real use.

Congrats on building your off road Subaru! Lot of people on here either used to or currently run one so feel free to ask questions and use the search for a number of build threads

cody92595

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arlington, WA
First Name
Dakota
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Load up all your heaviest belongings, remove the rear sway bar, and hit some trails or the beach. Unlike front springs the rear springs will only break in from real use.

Congrats on building your off road Subaru! Lot of people on here either used to or currently run one so feel free to ask questions and use the search for a number of build threads
That’s the plan. We’ve been trying to get out and camp and hike for the last 2 weekends. But ya know how it is, something else always comes up.