Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Mateo, CA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Bright
Member #

TRD Jon posted this video. It sums up all the changes. 4runner section starts at 4:40.
Love the Army Green. Don’t need the keyless entry. Would be nice, but who cares. Push Start... whatever. Updated infotainment would have been nice. Safety sense. Nah. Wife has it on her 17 Highlander. PitchRoll tire info and whatever else the Tacos have would have been cool.
So far, only a couple things I like better about the 20’s. When I picked up the metallic black the guy trying to sell me extras was telling me there would be slight changes to the 2020 but not anything regarding looks. He did say they are going unibody. I believe he said 2021, but don’t take that to the bank. Regardless, I love mine and don’t need a new one!!! Wait. I have a new one. [emoji106]

Reactions: H60Flyer

H60Flyer

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

NC, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Wolfen
Member #

Love the Army Green. Don’t need the keyless entry. Would be nice, but who cares. Push Start... whatever. Updated infotainment would have been nice. Safety sense. Nah. Wife has it on her 17 Highlander. PitchRoll tire info and whatever else the Tacos have would have been cool.
So far, only a couple things I like better about the 20’s. When I picked up the metallic black the guy trying to sell me extras was telling me there would be slight changes to the 2020 but not anything regarding looks. He did say they are going unibody. I believe he said 2021, but don’t take that to the bank. Regardless, I love mine and don’t need a new one!!! Wait. I have a new one. [emoji106]
I completely agree with all that! I love my 19 and can't wait to create some lasting memories with it and the family.

Reactions: Jeepinit

Joel S

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boulder, CO, USA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8OJK
On the other hand, I’m gonna see if I can swap in a 2020 head unit with Apple car play for the one I have now. I like a stock looking head unit, and one with Apple car play peaks my interests

Jeepinit

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Mateo, CA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Bright
Member #

On the other hand, I’m gonna see if I can swap in a 2020 head unit with Apple car play for the one I have now. I like a stock looking head unit, and one with Apple car play peaks my interests
That does sound intriguing.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Feature breakdown from my perspective:

• LED Fog Lamps - Awesome.
  • Halogen projector headlights - Meh, old tech that isn't great. At least they aren't the old refactor housings
  • Inclinometer- Distracting toy. I've driven with it before and it's a novelty at best. If you are close to the edge of rolling over, you shouldn't be looking down at the dash and the last thing you need is something beeping frantically at you when you are in a dicey situation.
  • TSSP- Blind spot monitoring, auto-braking, adaptive cruise control. Lots of expense, lots of stuff to break, and the radar block is going to screw up aftermarket support. I can see this on the Limited, which is geared for street use, but not for an enthusiast vehicle.
I'm grouping these together because they share a common issue:
  • Keyless Entry and Push Button Start - Major security vulnerability for a tiny amount of convenience.
  • Infotainment - Meh. It's just expensive stuff to break and will be dated in a hurry. Technology moves faster than the automotive world, they should really make those headunits modular so they can get upgraded hardware and software when they are out of date in two years. This vehicle should be on the road a minimum of 15 years, would you use a 15 year old cell phone or computer?
  • Digital Assistant Integration: I don't use these at home or on my phone for a reason, the Internet of Things opens up a bunch of security holes (see below) and they are not necessary. Sometimes simple is better.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/carstairs-westview-co-op-grocery-car-key-fob-1.4999558
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/britains-most-popular-cars-are-vulnerable-keyless-theft
https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/01/how-easy-is-your-car-to-steal
http://www.thedrive.com/tech/23599/tesla-stolen-from-mall-of-america-using-only-a-smartphone
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jul/26/scientist-banned-revealing-codes-carshttp://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/07/24/hackers-reveal-nasty-new-car-attacks-with-me-behind-the-wheel-video/
  • New Dash: Looks nice. The PSI monitoring would be a welcome change, I hope the TPMS sensors aren't crazy-expensive to give an accurate reading.

I'm excited to see the Army Green color. What I would have really liked to see was a redesign of the hood, front end, and roof to offer better visibility. Of all the SUVs and trucks, Toyotas have the worst visibility in the market. The Sequoia TRD and Tundra TRD both have, not one, but two fake hood scoops stacked on top of each other. The 4Runner and Tacoma's fake scoops raise the hood and decrease visibility. The forward roof line and high belt line make it feel like driving an armored vehicle, I can't look up, I can't look down, I just have a narrow slit to see out of. The visibility is the single biggest down side of the current Toyota lineup for me.

Last edited:

Matoolie

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Allen
Member #

The first issue with this is the difference in size of the head units...8” for new and I believe 7” for existing. Different trim pieces, etc. next will be the high cost of of an OEM head unit....$1k-$2k I’m sure....unless you are extremely lucky to find one from a wrecked vehicle....unlikely early on. And potential differences in wiring. Particular with JBL systems as these will see changes as well.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Question: Has anyone ever tried slapping a Taco face on a 4runner of the same gen? I feel like that would look awesomesauce.

Joel S

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boulder, CO, USA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8OJK
The first issue with this is the difference in size of the head units...8” for new and I believe 7” for existing. Different trim pieces, etc. next will be the high cost of of an OEM head unit....$1k-$2k I’m sure....unless you are extremely lucky to find one from a wrecked vehicle....unlikely early on. And potential differences in wiring. Particular with JBL systems as these will see changes as well.
I didnt think the 4runner would have the JBL - and having a bit of inside information on auto manufacturing, I would be incredibly surprised if they changed connectors. That means they would have to change connectors for both the steering wheel interface and other data communication. My guess is they ditched all the bezels on the current screen and upped the screen size and resolution. Low cost, addition of carplay. people are buying cars with Apple CarPlay, and the current head unit doesn't really have the resolution/Aspect ratio for it.

For example, look how they adapted carplay to the sequoia. not much changed.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

I wish Toyota instead upgrading useless electronics, get better mpg with Turbo engine and bring diesel . All rest is just no point to have.