Wilmington, NC, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Root
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RFE
I am trying to figure out if I can fit a 285/70R17 on my stock 2020 TRD PRO with out body mount chops, UCA replacement or any other mods. I have seen a thread on a T4R forum that a 275/70R17 will fit on other models with out any rubbing, so does the 1 inch lift on the PRO clear the way for the 285/70R17?

Icculus

Rank I

Member I

Asheville, NC, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Scarboro
Member #

I am trying to figure out if I can fit a 285/70R17 on my stock 2020 TRD PRO with out body mount chops, UCA replacement or any other mods. I have seen a thread on a T4R forum that a 275/70R17 will fit on other models with out any rubbing, so does the 1 inch lift on the PRO clear the way for the 285/70R17?
Yes they will fit. I run 285/70R17 BFG KO2 on my 2020 Off road (as well as on my old 2014 trail). I've never had any rubbing although some people have reported having to move the front fender liners forward at full wheel lock combined with full compression. That size will even just barely fit if you are still running the spare under the car.

Now one thing you might want to think about is the factory trail/off road wheels are 7.5 in wide while those black trd wheels is only 7.0 in wide. Technically that width is less than what's recommended for a 285 but many people have done it. Hope that helps

ETA: 285/75R17 is considered to be 33 but technically just short. You shouldn't need the body mount chop unless you jump to 34 (285/80???) Or straight up 35's. I should also add that if you're looking at km3 or other mud terrain everything i just said might go out the window

ETA2: crap just saw where you said absolutely no modification. Forget everything I just said. The above will all work with puck leveling kit lift of 2.5 in front and 1.5 in the back. I've had those right from the jump on both vehicles and didn't even think about it. On standard no lift I'm not sure. Apologies if I gave you misinformation.

Last edited:

Sakerdave

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Oklahoma City, OK
Member #

80% into my 2018 TRDP build. I would say no, they won’t clear. How far are you planning to take your build? I ran the stock 265/70/17 Nittos while I steadily built out. Rack, sliders, skids, etc. required suspension upgrade w/adjustable UCA’s. 33’s then only required fender liner mod, no BMC.

Reactions: Brian Root

Tango Tiger

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

I can’t say for sure because I don’t have the exact same set up, but I doubt it. I have a 2018 TRD Off Road with The front lifted 3” and the rear lifted 2”. I run 285/70/17 BFG KO2’s and had to push the front fender liner forward about an inch and do a very small amount of trimming at the bottom of the wheelwell. When the tires are properly aligned I get a little rub on the body mount at full wheel lock. I hope this helps some.

Reactions: Brian Root

Brian Root

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wilmington, NC, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Root
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RFE
80% into my 2018 TRDP build. I would say no, they won’t clear. How far are you planning to take your build? I ran the stock 265/70/17 Nittos while I steadily built out. Rack, sliders, skids, etc. required suspension upgrade w/adjustable UCA’s. 33’s then only required fender liner mod, no BMC.
I plan to keep my suspension stock, but am contemplating SSO Slimeline front bumper and high clearance mod. I will totally BMC too if that would make way for 33's.