Enthusiast III

Darby, Montana, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7MTP
A partner and I are putting together a pretty epic trip for March 20-30 2020. We plan to spend 2 days hitting the highlights of the Bourbon Distillery Trail, and then dropping in and doing a large portion of the Kentucky Adventure Trail. We are still in the planning phases obviously, but we already have Rogue Overland on board to join us and several other people have expressed interest as well. We are trying to get a pretty decent sized group together, and are planning some pretty cool stuff for this trip. Anyone interested leave a post and I will update this thread as the planning moves ahead. Hope to see Y'all on the trails!
Hello from Arizona! How many days/miles? I'm interested and would like to make that trip.

Overland_Serenity

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middleburg Florida
Member #

Okay original post has been updated. I think we will need to get confirmed head counts close to the beginning of the year so we can plan accordingly. For right now anyone that is seriously interested send me a PM and I'll figure out how to keep everyone in the loop... also if anyone has inside info or ideas, feel free to hit me up.

Reactions: bmwguru

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

Okay original post has been updated. I think we will need to get confirmed head counts close to the beginning of the year so we can plan accordingly. For right now anyone that is seriously interested send me a PM and I'll figure out how to keep everyone in the loop... also if anyone has inside info or ideas, feel free to hit me up.
I'm very interested. My concern is the snorkel recommendation. I do not and will not have a snorkel. Is that a deal breaker?

Overland_Serenity

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middleburg Florida
Member #

I'm very interested. My concern is the snorkel recommendation. I do not and will not have a snorkel. Is that a deal breaker?
I dont think so. Trail reports are slim. There will be water crossings, but there will also be bypass routes. The snorkle thing is a safeguard, and a sound investment in my book. But a deal breaker no....

Reactions: bmwguru

OkieMizzou

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Darby, Montana, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7MTP
Edited for updated plans

A partner and I are putting together a pretty epic trip for March 22-28 2020. We plan to hit the entire 900 miles of the kentucky adventure trail. The routes that I have indicate that it should take 5 days, but there are harder options that some may want to try, and we would rather not be rushed. As of 10/01/2019 the plan is to have everyone meet in Queeny Tennessee the morning of March 22. From there we will be hooking up with forestry roads and back country byways, with some trails and optional routes sprinkled along the way. If all goes to plan we will finish the loop and disperse from Queeny as well.

DISCLAIMER!!! This is an adventure involving driving your vehicle over rough, possibly overgrown terrain, damage is possible. Also 4x4 is highly recommended, and I'll go out on a limb and say you might want a functional snorkle as well....
I typically overland with my trailer but I don't know anything about this trail. Would the trailer be prohibitive in any way?

OkieMizzou

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Darby, Montana, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7MTP
Edited for updated plans

A partner and I are putting together a pretty epic trip for March 22-28 2020. We plan to hit the entire 900 miles of the kentucky adventure trail. The routes that I have indicate that it should take 5 days, but there are harder options that some may want to try, and we would rather not be rushed. As of 10/01/2019 the plan is to have everyone meet in Queeny Tennessee the morning of March 22. From there we will be hooking up with forestry roads and back country byways, with some trails and optional routes sprinkled along the way. If all goes to plan we will finish the loop and disperse from Queeny as well.

DISCLAIMER!!! This is an adventure involving driving your vehicle over rough, possibly overgrown terrain, damage is possible. Also 4x4 is highly recommended, and I'll go out on a limb and say you might want a functional snorkle as well....
Hey guys, help me out. I can't find Queeny, Tennessee on the map. Is it an actual town or just a "local knowledge" kind of place?

Overland_Serenity

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middleburg Florida
Member #

From ADVrider....

"This is a 900 mile loop (not counting the hard sections) around the hills and mountains of south eastern Kentucky. It is about 40% rural narrow twisty paved roads with the rest being gravel, dirt roads and trails. It will take 5 full summer days of riding to complete the main loop. It will take 5-6 days if you take the hard sections. Some of these areas are very remote so do not go alone! The average distance between gas stops is around 60 miles."

"You may run into downed trees and creeks that may be too big or deep to cross. Any of this can be bypassed if you just scroll around on your GPS screen. "

OkieMizzou

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Darby, Montana, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7MTP
My bad... Queener hill. It's a part of Jellico Tennessee. I'm using three different gps apps and trying to work from memory. I'll edit the main post....
No worries. I geek out on land nav but couldn't find it or anything remotely close. Appreciate the update.

Overland_Serenity

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middleburg Florida
Member #

So I found a facebook group dedicated to the kentucky adventure tour.... same diff. This actually looks like it could be a bit more adventurous that originally thought. I'm getting pretty excited.

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

OkieMizzou

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Darby, Montana, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7MTP
So I found a facebook group dedicated to the kentucky adventure tour.... same diff. This actually looks like it could be a bit more adventurous that originally thought. I'm getting pretty excited.

I'm looking forward to it as well. I'm from Missouri originally but have lived in the Desert Southwest for the past 25 years. I've traveled everywhere west of the Rockies pretty extensively and although the West will never get old, I'm eager to get back East a bit and do some camping around that part of the country. I've already downloaded the tracks/route typically used by everyone and getting my research in early.

KAT.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris74

Overland_Serenity

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middleburg Florida
Member #

I'm looking forward to it as well. I'm from Missouri originally but have lived in the Desert Southwest for the past 25 years. I've traveled everywhere west of the Rockies pretty extensively and although the West will never get old, I'm eager to get back East a bit and do some camping around that part of the country. I've already downloaded the tracks/route typically used by everyone and getting my research in early.

View attachment 121114
Yep, same here! The tracks work well in Gaia GPS I have found. Getting to see some of the hard bits and some of the views has made me very excited for this trip.

Morrisdl

Rank II

Enthusiast II

SML, VA
I did a small part of the KAT and some other recommended trails in the Leeco and Red River Goarge area back in 2017. Some of the very best wheeling/camping we have ever done in 20 years. Going back to do more in Nov. In June a snorkel was not required, but a winch was VERY helpful. I would NOT suggest pulling a trailer though any of the "hard" sections.

1571329245356.png

1571330770776.png

Reactions: jazzy13

BPCLFD

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

Sellersburg, IN, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
just came back from 4 days in red river gouge area which has parts of the KAT mixed in. I will second the no trailer and no need for snorkel. most of KAT would be ok for trailer but there are some pretty tight sections also. we have had very little rain like 2-3 day in the last 3 months here in KY with that said the gouge area hold water bad still nothing over 20inch or so and you literarily drive down the creek/river in some parts. you can checkout our trip video on this threat i posted "Daniel Boone Back country Byway" to get a idea of trail

Reactions: Five-0 and Morrisdl