Rank 0

Contributor I

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Lukas
Last Name
Steirer
Hello!

I purchased a 2020 Subi Outback (Base Model) this year and have been progressing my build slowly. Before, I was in a 2003 Toyota Highlander V6 that did me well until the tranny gave and the differentials were leaking crazy. I had been using a homemade sleeping platform/pullout storage set up, with Discovery AT3 tires.

With the Outback, I run blizzaks in the winter (Oregon, frequent snowboarder), and just slapped on some 235/65/r17 Yokohama Geolander GO15s for spring summer fall. We have been sleeping in the bed of the outback (w/ air mattress) and using a RightLine hatch tent (more like a cabin). We've been caught in too many nasty situations with weather to warrant continued use of the hatch tent/trunk sleeping combo. Takes to long to set up, then unload the entire trunk into the tent, then set up the bed, cover all the windows, and hope we'll be comfortable. Then breaking all that down in the rain/mud sucks. We'd go back to a ground tent if it were not for all the rain/mud in Spring/Fall, not to mention the winter camping we are planning. So, goodbye hatch set up.

Prinsu rack is awaiting arrival and install, GOFSR Odyssey 49" is on the way. Thank you Lolo Overland! Cool place near Portland OR. We're super hyped to see where else this build will go, now that we'll be more comfortable and have quicker set up.
I'll mount my 2500x2500 ARB awning on the side where the RTT doesn't hatch open. ARB tire deflater bought, will most likely get an IronMan 4x4 compressor.
Looking to just get the OEM subaru skid plate and rear differential cover.

I don't want to lift the car if I can avoid it. A huge part of why I got a new Subi is the safety features (and that sweet AWD), and all the Eyesight features might become unreliable with a lift.

Is there anyone on here with experience in lifting new Subarus with their Eyesight safety features that can let me know how a lift has effected its functionality?
If I can avoid a lift, and install better springs, does anyone have any recommendations?

Best!

TravelingDog

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Chicago, Illinois
Member #

Welcome to the Subaru world :) I have a 2016 Outback with a 2" lift and the Geolander tires. It's been fine with no problems for a 2 summers of mountain exploration a this last year of tame, close-to-home travel. I don't do many technical trails so mainly softroading with a few challenging ones. I have a homemade teardrop camper to tow but the Outback gets filled with the gear. We've had no trouble at all with the eyesight or safety features. I've also not had trouble with the cv joints which is what I was worried about. I'm not sure if I needed the lift but I know I've been on a few spots where I was nervous about clearance but we had no issues. It's nice having the couple inches of height reassurance. Good luck on your decision.
Peace

Reactions: steirerl

steirerl

Rank 0

Contributor I

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Lukas
Last Name
Steirer
Awesome! Thanks for the insight! Makes me a lot more comfortable about doing a lift down the road. More of a "just in case" mod, but I'll put it off until it's necessary.

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Check out LP Adventure.
I was close to looking into a Subaru a while back and was 100% going to lift with their products. Subaru even sells LP Adventure modified Subarus from some dealers.

Reactions: 100ideas