2020 Goals? What do you wish to Accomplish in 2020?

• HTML tutorial

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

My goals for 2020 are below, easier to list them out visually haha

1. New suspension for my Silverado
2. Back seat delete, and build out my own version of drawers and fridge
3. Buy a fridge
4. Steel Front bumper
5. Find a rear steel bumper with swing out arm to house the full size spare tire
6. Plan & Complete my 2 week trip out west from NC
7. Have fun
Sounds like you got a good list rolling! If you are ever up in Mount Airy I run a Car Audio / Truck & SUV Accessories Shop!

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

My goal is to just get out more often - Ideally once a month. I joined an active 4WD club, so hopefully this will be easily achievable.

I miss being able to disperse camp, which I did often when I lived in the States. It's not really much of a thing in New Zealand, unfortunately. The same freedoms to go out into public lands and camp as , and where, you wish do not exist in New Zealand as they do in many areas in the US (such as State/National Forests, et al). However, the reasoning for this is sound. Tourists come from all over the world to New Zealand, most of whom are not practitioners of Leave No Trace, etc, and as a result, there has been noticeable negative impacts on the condition of certain areas.
Maybe you can be an advocate for the Off Road and Overlanding community there?

Reactions: RoarinRow

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

I haven't been to Overland Expo for a couple years, so may do that again. I may apply to present workshops on a few things, as folks who already present or help run Expo keep suggesting strongly that I do.

Primarily, though, I intend to:
- Continue my long-distance, long-term adventuring around North America. I'm on the coast of Maine now re-gearing and preparing. In general I'll be heading down the Appalachians, through the eastern Ohio River Valley, then south to explore more fully the land south of I-10 from Florida to El Paso, maybe further, before heading up the Rio Grande Valley into New Mexico and maybe Colorado.
- I'd like to get back up to Maine and Canadian Maritime coast for part of the summer/fall. Especially back up to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Possibly explore more of New Brunswick and Northern Quebec around the north side of the St Lawrence Seaway. I was up there once in French-speaking Sept-Iles in winter and would like to explore the area in milder weather.

Remains to be seen if I get back up here or stay in the southwest.

Those are the Travel Goals for 2020.

Creative Goals:
- Expand my photographic skills in landscape and night sky work, including laser & IR triggered images of bats, lightning/storms, and insects & wildlife in general. Also want to expand illustrative possibilities with my images.
- Working on more desert flora and animal track documentation. I made over 1,000 images of the record spring bloom in the Chihuahuan Desert last year and lord knows how many animal track images, and would like to do more.
- I'm working on a couple hand-painted mural designs for businesses in the borderlands using the desert documentation I've done and am hoping to expand that to other creative mural work with factually accurate themes.
- Expand my writing with more essays, short fiction, and gear reviews for my blog and website.
- A couple other creative projects in the works, some digital, some not.

Personal goals:
- eat better and more naturally
- exercise more
- continue exploring how simple and self-sufficient I can make a traveling off-grid life and write about it more.

Dang, @Granite Ridge Overland, 'til you asked I had not really seen this in a list. I always have a shitload in mind to do; helps me accomplish more than I would otherwise.

So, thanks, and HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and everyone!

View attachment 133042
Night Sky in the Borderlands

View attachment 133043
Chihuahuan Desert Sunrise

View attachment 133045
Purple Prickly Pear (Opuntia macrocentra) Blossom, spring 2019

View attachment 133044
Leatherstem (Jatropha dioica) Blossom, spring 2019. These blossom bells are only 1/4" wide.

I guess you are welcome for asking! lol! You have quite an extensive list and I think that's awesome! If you swing through the Foothills of NC, Let me know!

Reactions: Road

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

Maybe you can be an advocate for the Off Road and Overlanding community there?
This is more or less the plan.

Off-roading/4WD'ing is well-established and has a passionate following in NZ. However, it's kind of a "Good ole boys'" club, if I can draw that parallel. Most of the country is rural, and most of the rural land is privately owned agricultural land. So, to go wheeling, it's often about being "in the know". And, as people can be, it's often very clique-ish. Having said that, so far my experiences with the club I joined have been very positive.

dhossk

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atherley, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

I would like to plan a cross country trip. I am in Canada (Ontario) and frequent the east coast a few times a year. How ever, I've never done coast to coast.

Also, I just started my hand at making YouTube videos. Gaining some traction online would be a great push for me to video my trip along the way.
Other then that --- Wheel | Break | Repeat

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

- Two week solo trip to Colorado in August centered around Overland Expo Mountain West Aug 27-29. Goal is to run a few trails on my bucket list that can be done solo and run as many 11,000'+ peaks across the state as possible. Mt Evans and Bross being on the top of that list based on my travel route. Derived from:

Travel route will be -

ALBQ 1 night

Ouray 3 nights
Imogene Pass - 13,114'
Ophir Pass - 11,789'

Ouray Hwy North to Gunnison Valley NP
Jones Mountain Summit - 12,683'
Grand Mesa Summit - 11,332'

Parachute 2 nights - S of Breckenridge
Mt Bross - 14,178
Mount Evans Scenic Byway - 14,130'
Mount Lincoln - 13,854'
Mount Sheridan - 13,192'
Kuss Peak (Mount Repeater) 13, 569'

Loveland/Estes Park 5 nights
Estes Park - 7,522'
Rocky Mountain NP - Old River Road to Fall River Pass 11,796'

Pikes Peak/Colorado Springs 3 nights
Pikes Peak - 14,115'

- Finish a few small projects on the rig: removable fridge, roof rack lighting, undercarriage lighting, bigger awning.

- Personal stuff... finish writing my first book in 2020. It began at the end of 2018. It will go through first edit around spring.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

For starters, upgraded axles in the Jeep. After that:
More time on the Deschutes River and bumming around Central Oregon
Getting over to the Owyhee River more than once during the year
Moab in May
Do some exploring on and around the Alvord Desert
A trip to the Washington Scablands

Mulli - Jax

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Mulligan
Member #

April full Baja trip, hopefully I will have my rig n trailer ready for the adventure of a lifetime [emoji6]
If you are looking to head down in a small group...give me a hollar. I want to head down to CABO but would prefer to be in a small group. I am flexible on the route but would prefer hitting the small coastal towns on the way down. I am flexible on the departure and how long. It will be me and my dog, Jax.

Mulli - Jax

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Mulligan
Member #

- Two week solo trip to Colorado in August centered around Overland Expo Mountain West Aug 27-29. Goal is to run a few trails on my bucket list that can be done solo and run as many 11,000'+ peaks across the state as possible. Mt Evans and Bross being on the top of that list based on my travel route. Derived from:

Travel route will be -

ALBQ 1 night

Ouray 3 nights
Imogene Pass - 13,114'
Ophir Pass - 11,789'

Ouray Hwy North to Gunnison Valley NP
Jones Mountain Summit - 12,683'
Grand Mesa Summit - 11,332'

Parachute 2 nights - S of Breckenridge
Mt Bross - 14,178
Mount Evans Scenic Byway - 14,130'
Mount Lincoln - 13,854'
Mount Sheridan - 13,192'
Kuss Peak (Mount Repeater) 13, 569'

Loveland/Estes Park 5 nights
Estes Park - 7,522'
Rocky Mountain NP - Old River Road to Fall River Pass 11,796'

Pikes Peak/Colorado Springs 3 nights
Pikes Peak - 14,115'

- Finish a few small projects on the rig: removable fridge, roof rack lighting, undercarriage lighting, bigger awning.

- Personal stuff... finish writing my first book in 2020. It began at the end of 2018. It will go through first edit around spring.

Sounds like you have done some solid research....I am looking to do a SouthWest Colorado circuit.....Ouray, Durango, Silverton, Telluride, but am flexible. Keep me posted maybe we can ride/camp together for a few days. I will be trying to stay offroad on the trails as much as possible. It will be me and my dog.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I'm just hoping that I can get my wife out one a trip with me. I want to show her some spots that I have found that I think she would enjoy and once my kid is old enough to ride in the jeep we can do some decent camping trips off the beaten path
.62131728_336467750582834_1572367856115384320_n.jpg

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I'm just hoping that I can get my wife out one a trip with me. I want to show her some spots that I have found that I think she would enjoy and once my kid is old enough to ride in the jeep we can do some decent camping trips off the beaten path
.View attachment 133441
My daughter is 3, and loves going on trips! Start em early, I say. We're hoping to do one trip a month, once it starts warming up a bit here in Idaho.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
My daughter is 3, and loves going on trips! Start em early, I say. We're hoping to do one trip a month, once it starts warming up a bit here in Idaho.
That's what I am hoping for. My wife and I have been planning 1 trip a month as long as the snow doesn't fly for about 3-4 years now in my daily 4x4 or kayaks. I also usually do a couple of solo trips or trips with buddies somewhere mixed in and usually about 4-5 days in august o go out to a local offroad/camping event. things are going to be a little different now that we have the young lad but i am hoping that we can still manage to get out and do some decent trips ( if family will let us have our free time back).

Reactions: Wallygator

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
Well 2019 was the year of the spend every dime I had so I plan on getting a lot of that back in 2020 and getting out there more. Hind sight is 2020 :)

I also need to get in better shape physically as in my heart and lungs.

Reactions: WAYAWAY

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I want to get all the parts I've got piled up put on my Willys and get it running and out in the sticks exploring and camping.

I want to go to the Overland Expo again in Flag.

Nature Coast Overland

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Citrus Springs, FL, USA
First Name
Kim
Last Name
A
Member #

I've got a few in no specific order.

1. Take the exam for my electrical contractors license and certify my own electrical company.
  2. Start on truck build and use it to document/ showcase some business ideas for my second company (Nature Coast Overland).
  3. Get out in the trails or camping/ hiking at least once a month this year.
  4. Take at least one long trip with family while oldest son is out of school for summer break.
  5. Complete at least one of the last three classes required for my AA degree.
  6. Focus on finances and commit to F.I.R.E. financial plan to be debt free and begin partial/ early retirement in 5 years.
My short/ long term goal is to be debt free including house by age 45. I'm 40 now and on paper er spreadsheet... the numbers work out. I'm ready to escape the life of extended outage work, hotels away from family, and 7-12's to pursue work more aligned to my passions and for a better balance of time with my family.

Above all though I plan to keep an open mind and an open heart, hug my wife and kids every day I can and do my best to be thankful for each day above ground as tomorrow is never promised.....