2020 Goals? What do you wish to Accomplish in 2020?

• HTML tutorial

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

As the New Year is literally around the corner, what goals do you have for 2020? Rig Related, Camping more, Attending Events.....These are all on my list with a whole lot more! 2 big goals I have this year is attending SEMA and Overland Expo East. Then obviously more Rig upgrades and Exploring more!

OE-EAST-2020.png

ShowLogo_noBox_W.png

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

My goals for 2020 are below, easier to list them out visually haha

1. New suspension for my Silverado
2. Back seat delete, and build out my own version of drawers and fridge
3. Buy a fridge
4. Steel Front bumper
5. Find a rear steel bumper with swing out arm to house the full size spare tire
6. Plan & Complete my 2 week trip out west from NC
7. Have fun

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

I'd really love to do the Mojave Road again, this time East to West. A Death Valley trip, too!

On my 4Runner.. I need to blow apart my roof rack, reseal the mount points (pretty sure that's where a little water gets in when hard rains come) and do the 1.5 extension I have planned. I have the parts.

An awning would kick ass.

Cheers to 2020. Hope to see you out on the trail!

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
After 2 years of being on the back burner, 2020 will be the "Year of the Van" for us. I plan to attend a number of smaller local events along with a handful of the bigger ones like Overland Expo, Rawhyde and SEMA to help with ideas on finishing the interior and finalizing some equipment/gear decisions. I also am planning on attending Tierra Del Sol, King of the Hammers and the Baja 250. I have a couple of smaller trips I'd like to do and hopefully throw in the Mojave Road, Alabama Hills and a Death Valley trip if possible.

My ultimate goal is to have the van completed & field tested by the time my wife retires at the end of the year so we can start planning our trip to Cabo & back in the spring of 2021.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Goal for 2020 is to do as much as I can, maybe build another sema vehicle, get new suspension, more gear, steel bumpers, supercharger, camp more, completing our moab trip in feb

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Goals for 2020

Do some solo trips (this is something I've not done yet, due to being scared. I've got a spot now in case of emergencies).

Mods for my Xterra will be PML lift and new tires, DIY rear tire carrier bumper, sliders, and roof basket. I'd love to get some skids for it as well. I'm also planning to build a sleeping platform, dual battery system, and get it all wired up.

Get out AT LEAST once a month. I'll probably stay fairly local this year (eastern oregon and idaho), since I'll have a bunch of money going into the rig this year to build it up.

Reactions: Wallygator

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

Goals for 2020

Do some solo trips (this is something I've not done yet, due to being scared. I've got a spot now in case of emergencies).

Mods for my Xterra will be PML lift and new tires, DIY rear tire carrier bumper, sliders, and roof basket. I'd love to get some skids for it as well. I'm also planning to build a sleeping platform, dual battery system, and get it all wired up.

Get out AT LEAST once a month. I'll probably stay fairly local this year (eastern oregon and idaho), since I'll have a bunch of money going into the rig this year to build it up.
I love solo trips. You can pack light, sleeping is easier (although, warm GF body is always nice on a chilly night!) and it's good to have quality time with your own thoughts.

19mystic96

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pacifica, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
2020 is a busy year for me. We just bought a house that we will be doing some renovations on, getting married and then a honeymoon. a goal of mine for this year would be to get out for more than a weekend trip to a place I haven’t been before, preferably out of the state I live in. I’d like to check out Oregon or maybe Moab.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

As the New Year is literally around the corner, what goals do you have for 2020? Rig Related, Camping more, Attending Events.....These are all on my list with a whole lot more! 2 big goals I have this year is attending SEMA and Overland Expo East. Then obviously more Rig upgrades and Exploring more!

I haven't been to Overland Expo for a couple years, so may do that again. I may apply to present workshops on a few things, as folks who already present or help run Expo keep suggesting strongly that I do.

Primarily, though, I intend to:
- Continue my long-distance, long-term adventuring around North America. I'm on the coast of Maine now re-gearing and preparing. In general I'll be heading down the Appalachians, through the eastern Ohio River Valley, then south to explore more fully the land south of I-10 from Florida to El Paso, maybe further, before heading up the Rio Grande Valley into New Mexico and maybe Colorado.
- I'd like to get back up to Maine and Canadian Maritime coast for part of the summer/fall. Especially back up to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Possibly explore more of New Brunswick and Northern Quebec around the north side of the St Lawrence Seaway. I was up there once in French-speaking Sept-Iles in winter and would like to explore the area in milder weather.

Remains to be seen if I get back up here or stay in the southwest.

Those are the Travel Goals for 2020.

Creative Goals:
- Expand my photographic skills in landscape and night sky work, including laser & IR triggered images of bats, lightning/storms, and insects & wildlife in general. Also want to expand illustrative possibilities with my images.
- Working on more desert flora and animal track documentation. I made over 1,000 images of the record spring bloom in the Chihuahuan Desert last year and lord knows how many animal track images, and would like to do more.
- I'm working on a couple hand-painted mural designs for businesses in the borderlands using the desert documentation I've done and am hoping to expand that to other creative mural work with factually accurate themes.
- Expand my writing with more essays, short fiction, and gear reviews for my blog and website.
- A couple other creative projects in the works, some digital, some not.

Personal goals:
- eat better and more naturally
- exercise more
- continue exploring how simple and self-sufficient I can make a traveling off-grid life and write about it more.

Dang, @Granite Ridge Overland, 'til you asked I had not really seen this in a list. I always have a shitload in mind to do; helps me accomplish more than I would otherwise.

So, thanks, and HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and everyone!

carlightsonrvrrd-5821-pano.jpg
Night Sky in the Borderlands

roaddude_chisospano-frmwestendent-8231-1350.jpg
Chihuahuan Desert Sunrise

pricklypearblossom-bibe-2677-crop.jpg
Purple Prickly Pear (Opuntia macrocentra) Blossom, spring 2019

leatherstemblossom-2462-crop.jpg
Leatherstem (Jatropha dioica) Blossom, spring 2019. These blossom bells are only 1/4" wide.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

For the rig:
  • Replace radiator, e-fan install, and all the extra maintenance stuff I ordered (figured I'd do water pump, t-stat, hoses, belt, etc. while I was in there, and eliminating the hydraulic vid requires a different PS pump etc.)
  • Winch install (bought a hidden winch mount to keep the stock bumper for now
  • Tank tuck
  • "maybe" full frame stiffeners and rear long-arm conversion
For me:
  • Camp a lot more - both in our 5'er and Overlanding
  • Start cycling again and lose some weight
-TJ

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
After a couple years of misuse and lack of upkeep I plan to rebuild the truck. Have the parts but need to make the time.

New front diff, CVs, all steering from rack out, new springs on coilovers, brakes, exhaust, paint and re-install swings on bumper, fix some rust, and maybe even wash it.

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

My goal is to just get out more often - Ideally once a month. I joined an active 4WD club, so hopefully this will be easily achievable.

I miss being able to disperse camp, which I did often when I lived in the States. It's not really much of a thing in New Zealand, unfortunately. The same freedoms to go out into public lands and camp as , and where, you wish do not exist in New Zealand as they do in many areas in the US (such as State/National Forests, et al). However, the reasoning for this is sound. Tourists come from all over the world to New Zealand, most of whom are not practitioners of Leave No Trace, etc, and as a result, there has been noticeable negative impacts on the condition of certain areas.