Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Griz
Last Name
Grzywa
Member #

I bought this Jeep last year after having driven a 92 YJ for the last 28 years. I got over the rock crawling scene and wanted something capable of going long distance. I knew I wanted to go with 37" tires as long as the gas mileage was good. I drove a year on 37s before deciding on a lift kit. The 37's get my pumpkin off the ground and I'm still getting 22mpg on the highway. Fully loaded up I can still hit speeds over 90mph, even in the mountains. I chose not to regear to 4.88s because the 4.10s work perfectly fine, hitting all 8 gears and no loss of power.

After considering coilovers, I decided they were a little overkill for what I needed. I decided to go with a 4.5" EVO Overland Stage 4 plus lift. Adjustable trackbars, new control arms, brake relocation brackets, shock relocation brackets and King 2.5 shocks with reservoir.

The lift and shocks are fantastic.

Currently purchased not installed:

Mopar tailgate reinforcement
Mopar spare tire relocation bracket
Dual ARB compressor with front passenger seat mounting bracket.

I have plans to delete the rear seats as it will be just me and my service dog, Ranger, doing a 49 state trip starting March 2021. I will add a rear kitchen setup, a J30 Ursa Minor hardtop tent etc. Before I get ahead of myself and say too much about what I'm going to do, I will do it first then talk about it.

I originally named the Jeep Poison Ivy because of the color scheme but the vinyl shop put the name in the wrong place lol. I've since decided to rename my Jeep "Drengr" old Norse for warrior, and a Viking themed vinyl rewrap is in the works. I saved a lot of money driving my 92 YJ for the last 28 years so I'm spoiling myself and dumping a lot of money into this rig. I got sick of working to pay for a house and bills that confined me to walls so I decided to retire, sell everything, and take life on the road full time.

Drengr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Griz
Last Name
Grzywa
Member #

I added a Mopar tailgate reinforcement to support the weight of the 37" tire. I also added the Mopar tire carrier relocation brackets to clear it off the bumper.

Next up to install the ARB Twin Compressor. I purchased a bracket to put the compressor under the front passenger seat. I also purchased a product called Up Down Air that will allow me to air up and air down all 4 tires to whatever PSI I set on the gauge.

I'm minimizing my build to just enough to live on the road comfortably, while I determine what I really need. I decided against the J30 Ursa Minor or an RTT. With it just being my dog and I, I think I will be fine with a platform system for storage, along with a foam pad to sleep on. I feel this will not only be better for security, but less weight, saving me money to put elsewhere in the build as well.
1606956737604.png

CO_Jeep_Zach

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Fairbanks, AK
First Name
Zach
Last Name
W
Member #

I bet going from a YJ to a JLU was life changing. I noticed a huge difference going from a TJ to a JKU. Is that Old Stage Road?

Reactions: Drengr

Drengr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Griz
Last Name
Grzywa
Member #

Considering my YJ hasn't had a top on it in two years and going to heated seats and steering wheel lol, definitely life changing. The pic was at Rainbow Falls, after the steep hill on Forest Road 344.

Reactions: CO_Jeep_Zach

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I notice that your 37 inch tires are mounted on the stock Rubicon wheels. How did that work in general prior to your lift? Did you have clearance or rubbing issues with that setup?

Reactions: outside.perception

Advocate III

King County, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Aurich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREY362
I'm also interested in what you think of the stock Rubi wheels on bigger tires. I just picked up a 2020 JLUR. The 33s are fine for me at the moment, but am interested in bigger. I look forward to watching your build.

Reactions: Drengr

Drengr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Griz
Last Name
Grzywa
Member #

I'm also interested in what you think of the stock Rubi wheels on bigger tires. I just picked up a 2020 JLUR. The 33s are fine for me at the moment, but am interested in bigger. I look forward to watching your build.
I had to get spacers for the stock wheels and the lowest I have gone is 15 PSI. So far so good, I want to go beadlocks but not legal in all 50 states which defeats the purpose for me. Honestly 15 PSI has been a sweet spot for me. With lockers and Nitto Grapplers, traction isn't an issue. With the King shocks, comfort isn't an issue.

Drengr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Griz
Last Name
Grzywa
Member #

A few new upgrades: I installed a dual ARB compressor under the front passenger seat which runs to an Up Down Air system under the hood. The UDAS runs to all 4 wheel wells, each with it's own air valve. I have 4 short airlines I run from the Air valves to the tires, set my gauge to the desired psi (air up or air down) then flip the switch and it sets all 4 tires to the desired psi in under 3 minutes. The compressor is loud in the cab but I'm not in the cab to hear it.

Other upgrades and things of note:

ARB Zero 47L and slide
Jackery 1000 and 2x100w Solar Panels
Samsung 7+ Tablet on a RAM Mount connected to my grab handle with a Carolina Masters 1" Ball
DJI Mavic Air 2 for Drone footage

Purchased not installed:

Hefty Front and Rear Bumpers
Aluminum Belly Skid Plate
RCV Axle Shafts
Adams 1350 Front and Rear Driveshafts
Goose Gear 100% Delete
Genesis Dual Battery System
Rhino Rack Backbone and Platform
iKamper Skykamp Mini and Mini Annex Room
AAL Tailgate Table
AAL Rear Shelf
KING Front and Rear Bumpstops
KING Steering Stabilizer
JL Tazer Front Cam
Rock Lights Amber
AAL Aluminum Inner Fenders front and rear
WARN Platinum 10S w/spyderco w factor 55
Lots of Lights
Rebel Offroad rear window delete with fuel rotopacks
S&B Cold Air Intake
Mishimoto intercooler
Hutchinson Rock Monster Beadlocks 17x9
Lifesaver 5 gal water purifying jerry can

Still deciding:
Type of track pad

142558126_1796627747159300_4809475877118609052_n.jpg142994765_1796627693825972_1651082059722695151_n.jpg143036656_1796627820492626_4056847117083619385_n.jpg141201028_1796627790492629_6781869015050689773_n.jpg

Last edited:

Drengr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Griz
Last Name
Grzywa
Member #

I find the JL Molle to be too stiff to be practical. I found these clips that I can run through the Molle, giving me the ability to use them to hold pouches or kit.

PXL_20210131_205558135.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20210131_205626128.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20210131_205750486.MP.jpg

Reactions: Marman