Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I figured it was time to go ahead and start a build thread to keep track of what I’ve done to this Jeep. My wife and I love to travel and see new places and in 5 months this rig has already seen National Forests and Parks in 5 states. It’s pretty normal for us to take a Friday off and be out the door on a Thursday night to visit some random destination. We also like to check out local wineries wherever we travel and (of course) try the best local food. Because of the miles we rack up, this needs to be comfortable on the interstate as well as capable off-road. I think a lot of people lose sight of the fact that even the most capable rigs still spend most of their time on pavement and it’s important to make sure the on-road capability is not lessened by the off-road modifications. That being said, I lIke the flexibility of being able to take the road (trail) less traveled for some great scenery. I don’t do a lot of rock crawling but I like having the capability in a pinch so I’ll likely add a 2“ lift later on. We’ll see how it goes.

I chose the Cherokee Trailhawk because, after almost a year of research and test drives, it was the vehicle that met both the ‘wants’ and the ‘needs’ best for me. So far I’ve been very happy with it. I got well north of 100,000 miles out of my last rig and I hope this one will do as well.

OK, on to the progress. Here it is on day 1, a stock 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk:

4E139E15-450E-4F17-A4F3-57C9396CFE04.jpeg

I don’t have a name for this one yet but I think it sort of looks like the shark from Jaws. I’m still kicking around some ideas. The roof rack was the first addition and I picked up some recovery boards (full post about the boards and mounts here) because getting stuck sucks. I‘ve done it in the past and don’t recommend it at all.

97326696-7A0F-4B00-A58D-0B8683852F29.jpeg

I also added a Cobra 75 WXST CB radio (full post here). Even with the renewed popularity of HAM and the recent surge in GMRS/FRS radios, CB is still the one most used. I mounted the base under the passenger seat and the CB can stay out of the way in the center console when not in use. I also keep a cheap Baofeng with a 12V adapter an a mag mount antenna in the truck in case I want to reach out a bit further. Lately I stick to DMR but, again, its nice to have options.

0095195B-6A66-4A35-8245-FE03F10E3CE8.jpeg

CEBCDD52-2871-4504-A31C-477351BBE6E8.jpeg

I had the front two windows tinted to match the rear ones. I don’t like limousine tint but I also don’t like slow-roasting on the interstate when the sun is on me. The back windows tested at 28% factory tint so the 35% I had put on matches almost perfectly. No problems seeing at night and I don’t turn medium well as the sun sets.

2A864C78-4888-49A6-AE0C-C4395782DA99.jpeg

This week I finished changing the interior lights. I’m used to having a red dome light in my work vehicle to save my night vision so I always do it to my personal vehicle as well. Some people love it, some hate it. it works well for me. In my last rig I just changed out all the bulbs but in the Jeep, the front map lights and the rear cargo lights are incandescent while the rear passenger lights are single LEDs soldered on a circuit board. For those, I had to buy some red window tint and cover the lenses with two applications of the film. That ended up matching the LED bulbs I bought for the front and cargo areas perfectly. I left the white lights in the visor vanities and I left the white LED that shines down on the center console because it can be turned off. If I were to need super bright white light for anything, I also have an LED lantern on board. So, yet again, now I have options.

8BD20ECC-BA8B-4245-9512-347705853FF8.jpeg

0C68F8F0-D24F-420C-A5FB-76182DD77492.jpeg

EF60F5DF-394B-49A4-A3D5-5BDFC67E5A08.jpeg

So here is how she sits right now. Still close to stock with some minor changes. I wanted to make this post so I would have a record of the changes/additions I’m making and I’ll try to keep it updated as I go.

E82C91DB-2114-476C-99B1-8D5F3A59C44A.jpeg

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I thought my two mag mount antennas were going to be a temporary thing but they have ended up working so well that I don’t think I’m going to bother with permanent mounts. The mag mounts allow me to pull the antennas easily for parking garages or or the occasional car wash and it’s nice to be able to make the Jeep look stock when I don’t want to advertise expensive radio gear. Open the lift gate and both of them stow away with the spare tire. Easy! CB range is what it is; with the firestik I get 1-2 miles on the interstate which is plenty. The 2m/70cm antenna is a 1/2 wave so it more than adequate. I might actually pick up a 1/4 wave and see if that will work for me.

Before the summer, I would like to pick up a cheap dual band mobile to keep in the truck full time. Time for more research.

7279A02A-9365-489C-A2F2-38AF1D2F0C07.jpeg

Last edited:

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I hope it works out for you. I bought a 2014 Cherokee TH. White with dark brown leather interior. Fully loaded, heated steering wheel, the works. It was so damn comfortable and smooth. It was quiet, and I thought it looked amazing. However, I couldn't keep it out of the damn dealer for warranty repairs. I'm sure they've been sorted by now but it drove me to buy a Toyota. So much potential w/ this rig.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

My Koolatron electric cooler has died. Long live the Koolatron.

It had a good run, I think I‘ve had it for about 12 years. It wasn’t anywhere near as good as these newer units but it got the job done and the price was right at the time because it was a had-me-down from a friend. Free is ALWAYS the right price! Looks like it’s time to start searching for a new portable refrigerator.

A6A537DC-FA42-4EA3-A1D0-DE6F06967F38.jpeg

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

This isn’t any major addition but it’s worth passing on for the mounts. I wanted to mount a shovel on the rack but I didn’t want to shell out $50-$80 for a rack mount so I picked up a couple of conduit hangers at the hardware store ($1.05 each) and got a set of Quick Fists ($9.95) while I was there since people here on OB seem to like them.

I hit the hangers with a quick shot of Rustoleum that I had leftover from another project and they seem to work great as a shovel mount. I cable lock my recovery boards when traveling and I’ll probably just do the same for the shovel.

BE824510-DD1D-4A9B-8D8E-43787D9B84EF.jpeg

E0D3D173-3D6D-48DA-B6B9-88D6435FB5B3.jpeg

0CF4AE95-AF86-47E8-9598-BEBCD1028112.jpeg

Pathkiller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Effingham, South Carolina, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
I hope it works out for you. I bought a 2014 Cherokee TH. White with dark brown leather interior. Fully loaded, heated steering wheel, the works. It was so damn comfortable and smooth. It was quiet, and I thought it looked amazing. However, I couldn't keep it out of the damn dealer for warranty repairs. I'm sure they've been sorted by now but it drove me to buy a Toyota. So much potential w/ this rig.
I gave my daughter my 3rd Gen 4Runner LTD. Her Bf & I are trying to get her interested in overlanding. I had to get something that would flat tow behind our motorhome and not beat me to death like my 4Runner did. (It made sense to get a KL Trailhawk for it's comfort and on/OFF road performance.)

Reactions: DanW

cmeades

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Aurora, CO, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Eades
Member #

I've been looking into an awning for my trailhawk but need something to attach the L brackets to. The conduit hangers look they could be a good idea. Not sure how sturdy they are - do you think they'd be worth looking at for a way to mount the awning?

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I've been looking into an awning for my trailhawk but need something to attach the L brackets to. The conduit hangers look they could be a good idea. Not sure how sturdy they are - do you think they'd be worth looking at for a way to mount the awning?
Stamped conduit hangers would definitely bend. Cast hangers might hold but I think they would stick out too far anyway. Why not just bolt the L brackets to the Bottom of the rack with U bolts?

Reactions: Devildawg2136

cmeades

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Aurora, CO, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Eades
Member #

Stamped conduit hangers would definitely bend. Cast hangers might hold but I think they would stick out too far anyway. Why not just bolt the L brackets to the Bottom of the rack with U bolts?
Either that or drilling holes in my Yakima crossbars is what I'll do. Just figured I'd ask about these since I came across them in your thread.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I added something to expand the ”Outdoor Charcuterie” opportunities! The newer “K” version of the Alpicool refrigerators went on sale for 25% off so I couldn’t resist getting the new K18 with bluetooth. I haven’t had time to test this one on a trip yet but the fit and finish are solid and my first impressions are good. I know a few people who have the previous gen Alpicool and they seem to hold up well. Here’s hoping this one proves to be as durable.

The instructions were not great but, after some googling and experimenting, I got everything set up and it seems to work well. The inside temp went from 80 to the mid 30 in about 20 minutes. The app paired with the fridge without any issues and it’s nice to have that info from the driver’s seat without having to open the hatch and check on the panel.

A few pics:

3D812391-41DE-4116-A56D-6F5CB4227679.jpeg

BEE9690F-6FF2-4806-BD7E-9B2ADEEFF456.jpeg

DE2A56EA-3C33-4560-9F18-7A174BEB82F6.jpeg

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
How does the cherokee do off road? I like the look of the newer models. Once they changed the headlight to the new style it just cleaned things up so much.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I added something to expand the ”Outdoor Charcuterie” opportunities! The newer “K” version of the Alpicool refrigerators went on sale for 25% off so I couldn’t resist getting the new K18 with bluetooth. I haven’t had time to test this one on a trip yet but the fit and finish are solid and my first impressions are good. I know a few people who have the previous gen Alpicool and they seem to hold up well. Here’s hoping this one proves to be as durable.

The instructions were not great but, after some googling and experimenting, I got everything set up and it seems to work well. The inside temp went from 80 to the mid 30 in about 20 minutes. The app paired with the fridge without any issues and it’s nice to have that info from the driver’s seat without having to open the hatch and check on the panel.

A few pics:

View attachment 171610

View attachment 171611

View attachment 171612
What app is that? I've not found one that works with my little 20qt Alpicool. Awesome Jeep, btw!

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

How does the cherokee do off road? I like the look of the newer models. Once they changed the headlight to the new style it just cleaned things up so much.
I've only had this one since May 2019 but so far it has had no problems with anything I've thrown at it. Mud, snow, rocks, it's pretty much a billy goat. The Trailhawk trim adds a true rear locker which I still haven't had to use but it's nice to have it if the need arises. I don't do any real rock crawling with it but here are the badges from some of the trails recognized by Jeep that I've had it on. No issues at all.

badges.png

IMG_3530.JPEG

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

What app is that? I've not found one that works with my little 20qt Alpicool. Awesome Jeep, btw!
I just searched "Alpicool" and it was the first thing that popped up in the Apple store. Here is a pic of what the icon looks like. Also, I think the app only works with the "K" series or newer refrigerators because it has to have bluetooth. Hope that helps.

app.jpg

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I just searched "Alpicool" and it was the first thing that popped up in the Apple store. Here is a pic of what the icon looks like. Also, I think the app only works with the "K" series or newer refrigerators because it has to have bluetooth. Hope that helps.

View attachment 171815
Great! Mine says it has bluetooth but the old app was hard to find and it would not connect to my phone. I'll give this a try! Thanks!

Reactions: J.W.

Pathkiller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Effingham, South Carolina, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
The Trailhawk trim adds a true rear locker which I still haven't had to use but it's nice to have it if the need arises
I really don't do much sand or mud and snow is all but a non-factor in SC where 4H is required.

I do most of my wheeling on steep mountain roads with rocks, ruts, waterfalls, & ledges. I haven't necessarily needed to use my locker either. But, I usually keep it in 4low, manual gear 1st or 2nd and the locker engaged when on trail. I could make it through almost anything without them. (I could even keep my KL in "Auto" mode for most things I do.) But, doing what I do allows me to slowly climb steep grades and slowly go down steep grades with little to no drama.

Hill control is also a great feature; although, a little too slow for me most of the time. (So, I don't use it. But, my wife does.) I can also crawl over rocks & ruts with little effort and worries. It also makes things more comfortable & relaxed.

The one thing a person does not want to do is wait until your stuck somewhere to engage 4L & lockers. So far, my winch & my traction boards have never been required on the trail. (But, I don't intentionally seek out obstacles that would call for their use.)

Last edited:

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

We took a road trip this week to pick up some bourbon I've been waiting on for 7 years. My Maker's Mark Ambassador barrel matured in the spring and now that they have some covid precautions in place at the distillery, we decided to make the trip to pick up a few bottles. We opted out of the full distillery tour but it was fun to get out on the road again.

This also meant that I had my first chance to test the new refrigerator. This thing is great! Huge upgrade from the old Koolatron. We usually don't take very much refrigerated stuff with us on our adventures but I think that is about to change. This is easily big enough for a few days and it is more efficient that I expected. The phone/tablet app is ridiculously handy for checking on the status without having to stop and open the hatch.

No glamorous offroading but here are some pics from bourbon country.

jeepbot1.jpg

The Maker's Mark Distillery in the background

IMG_6091.jpg

IMG_6110.jpg

ED3EA678-A6A2-4807-9580-A1114C741A0A.JPG