Launch Member

Enthusiast III

La Pine, Klamath County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Pyle
Member #

I have been looking at one as well, just not a fan of the center armrest for long distance travel. As for aftermarket support, you would be surprised at the amount there already is due to it being based on the worldwide version. Most of the major lift companies already have leveling kits out and I have already seen some with lifts and running 33's.

That looks bad ass love it

JackAttack

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ripley QLD, Australia
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Fredericks
Member #

If you're curious about the rangers, ask an Australian as they are everywhere here and arguably the most capable IFS 4x4 available (Only competition is the Toyota Hilux and Mazda BT50, and the BT50 is a ranger with a Mazda badge). I might be biased as I own one, however, my nearly stock rig can go anywhere, aside from deep water crossings as I am yet to fit a snorkel, and keeps up with the live axle crowd comfortably. As for aftermarket options, as soon as the ranger gets going over there then you will be spoiled by choice as there is a ridiculous amount of choice here for all accessories.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I'm not a Ford guy and I don't want to sell my jeep, but I'm really, really curious about the ranger raptor, it's the first truck in its category that will be available here in europe! Imported trucks are so ridiculously expensive here and aftermarket suspensions like in the US are more or less illegal here so we never had anything like this before.
I will drive it when it is available at the dealership.

jplemons

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fresno, CA, USA
Member #

The Ranger looks really disappointing here:

It does look poor here, but I’m not sure it gets a fair shake on the off-road test. TFL Truck did a head-to-head with a TRD Off Road and it was much more even. The only major dig was the articulation. Otherwise, as a dual-purpose truck, the seemed to prefer the Ranger.

Reactions: JackAttack

Overland Vagabond

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Balerna, Switzerland
Member #

The Ford Ranger is an ideal platform for the weirdest transformations - check-out my own build, here on the day of our departure for a multi-year odyssey. A dozen of videos documenting the build are also hosted on our channel.

I reckon - that's not yet the 2019 spec, but the cell would fit easily also on the US model.

HoosierT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fishers, IN
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Turner
Member #

I absolutely love my Ranger. Just about to hit 2k miles and did she got her break in oil change yesterday. I'm really excited to break into overlanding using this as my first rig. My buddy has a 2017 F150 5.0l and my Ranger put a big smile on his face when he drove it.

jplemons

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fresno, CA, USA
Member #

The local dealerships made my decision a bit easier for me. I test drove the Ranger and was impressed by the ride; however, a couple of things, very nitpicky, bothered me. Add those to the fact that the dealerships are all starting at $5,000 above MSRP, one is trying to force LoJack on all of its cars/trucks and inventory is lacking, I went with Chevy. Chevy is offering some great incentives right now, including 0% financing, and Ford is offering, well, not much. I'll be picking up my ZR2 today.

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
Probably too late to the party to put my opinion in on the whole shebang, but here it is anyway, coming from a ford guy and current old ranger owner. Keep in mind this is based on what's availible in Canada right now so far as trim levels.

The new ranger is a good platform, and has proven its salt everywhere else in the world except north america. And I think Ford has missed some major points where the old ranger sold best for a few basic reasons:

Configuration. Older rangers had 2 drive types, and 3 engines to pick from at their peak as well as 3 bed lengths, and 2 cab configurations. Also a bunch of trim levels and manual or automatic transmissions. You could build it as basic, or as complicated as you wanted it. The new ranger currently has 2 cab configurations, and 2 bed sizes. But you can only pick certain ones at certain trim levels and it only offers one driveline type, one transmission, and one engine. Which leaves me to the next point.

Price: Ok. To each thier own. But when the original ranger came out, it was the light duty truck of choice because it was cheap. Even brand new you didn't worry as much about scratching it or bouncing it off a tree as it was fairly cheap to buy. A base model was $13,970 and fully loaded, armed to the teeth Ranger SCAB Fx4 Level 2, was $24,425. Adjusted for Canadian inflation, that's a Range of $16,937.20 to $29,091.92 in today's dollars.

Today a base XL, with no options is $29,569.00 and tops out at $49,909 with the lariat Fx4 package. You could take it out in the bush and if you totally wrote off a Level 2 ranger, you'd be out 29 grand. Now you can barely get into one for 29. And if youre going for that price range, there are other options that are a better value in my opinion.

I think what I'm trying to get at is, the Ranger used to be a simple, basic pickup that was built reasonably tough and worked well. Now its more of a mall crawler because starting at 30k, its going to make people nervous to use it for its intended purpose. Its like jeeps. Jeeps used to be reasonably cheap utilitarian vehicles. Now the new wranglers are basically convertable sports cars with ground clearance.

I wish there was a new, simple, honest truck or suv that was 4x4, cheap, not overloaded with tech toys I wont use that gets the job done without breaking the bank.

/rant

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
From what little I have read on the Ranger theres A LOT different from the Midsize Ford the rest of the world gets. Frame and suspension is different, wich lets be honest makes it a different truck. I also believe the engines and transmissions are different. Its like most Fords honestly, the Fiesta in Europe is an amazing car, in North America its OK, because they are set up different for the different markets.

HoosierT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fishers, IN
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Turner
Member #

I have nothing but praise for my ‘19 Ranger. Only one engine option is needed honestly because this 2.3l mated with the ten speed is a joy to drive and with tune and exhaust, is one of the fastest trucks I’ve ever driven. Yea, mine wasn’t cheap but I don’t plan to do any heavy wheeling, just typical overlanding. If you watch any videos on the Last Line of Defense YouTube channel, he’s wheeling/overlanding, like many others, in a newer Tacoma which isn’t cheap either and he’s not out there breaking or damaging his truck. My insurance company has already agreed that they’ll cover any off-roading I do as long as it’s not competitive. That couple with proper armor should give me the peace of mind knowing I can get out and enjoy long overlanding trips with good tech comforts and an amazing drivetrain without much risk. That’s just my take on it.F8F57585-338A-4315-BA09-FBA84D55BF05.jpeg

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Man, it's shocking how much that thing looks like a Tacoma. Almost embarrassing actually.
A Toyota Hilux copy is exactly what everyone wanted. It's no mistake that the Zr2 and Ranger follow those lines.

Reactions: Plasmajab

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I dig the Ranger looks, and HoosierT's is pretty damn nice! I wouldn't give too much salt to what Edmunds has to say about it either. I think it's a good, capable platform that has some serious advantages over the aging Tacoma (like the motor and 10 speed). It has drawbacks too, which are largely covered here.

If you can do a non-solid axle rig, I think it's a definite contender... but for me a Colorado ZR2 with it's front and rear locking diffs and available diesel would just edge it out.
Whatever you do, don't buy a black truck as an offroad/Overlanding rig!

-TJ