Biddeford, Maine, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Gilbert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFT263, HAM:
you have about 1400 pounds you can add to a Ranger before you're over the GVWR. That includes passengers and fuel. 8.3 pounds to the gallon for water and 6.3 for fuel.

15 gallons of water = 125 lbs
23 gallons of fuel = 145
2 adults = 400
GFC camper 200 to 225
recovery gear (wild ass guess here) 150
pullkitchen = 200

total of 1245 lbs (est.) added. Thats before food and cooking fuel, any firewood, 12 v batteries, solar panels and wiring added.

I guess I'm going to need to bring less food or go on a diet. I'm going to be real close to the limit, too.

slightNine

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Yukon, OK, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hutton
Member #

Quick status update:

Still waiting on the RSI Table and platform rack. 3 Months now. lol
The Shrockworks winch plate should be shipped this week! Really looking forward to having that little extra peace of mind with us.

We've had the rig out camping 6 times this year so far. Here's some observations.

The awning is super worth it. It does hold rain water, but can be guyed down between the arms to allow drainage. It also attracts intrigued people over to have a look.
The Bluetti 200p will run the 65 qt Elements fridge for nearly 5 days on a single charge. Haven't used the solar out camping yet to recharge it. I did at home once, it took about 5 hours from empty.
The floor in our Gazelle T4 was too big. Bunches in the Velcro let bugs in. I smoothed out the Velcro connection with the walls, pinched the extra material and sewed the pinches closed in a couple of spots. = No more bugs.
The black RSI gets pretty hot in the sun. Your chocolate for smores will be a melty mess. lol
The Old Man Emu leaf springs ride great with the weight. I have the +300 Kilo set. They creak and squeak pretty often even with the proper grease on the pads. A healthy spray of Motorkote solved the noise issue completely.
Amber covers on led lights makes the light cut through rain and fog. Tried them with and without the covers. Huge difference.
Camping on a beach is neat, you even get to take it home with you. Seriously still have sand in everything. LOL

20210529_075829.jpg

slightNine

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Yukon, OK, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hutton
Member #

After several trips, we decided a couple things needed improved.

First on the list was fridge access.
The fridge was too high for the rest of the family to really use easily. This meant either loose the decked drawers to lower it down or find/build some sort of drop slide for it.
We went with the former, as this would drop a couple hundred pounds from the truck as well.
PXL_20210716_205154490.jpg

Staying on the weight loss theme, we needed to add some light weight storage for the bedding. I used some weld tube and paracord to fashion a light weight shelf.

PXL_20210716_205342813.jpg

The drop in the center of gravity is very noticeable. Handling improved greatly!

Planning on the dry foods living in a bear box of some sort, leaning heavily towards the Zarges cases for that.

slightNine

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Yukon, OK, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hutton
Member #

Test fitting the camping gear.

Plenty of room for a Zarges case to fill the roll of chuck box! Oh, and room for full size pillows up top. The Magellan "camping" pillows are a joke. Seriously, save your money.

PXL_20210724_153013450.jpg

slightNine

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Yukon, OK, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hutton
Member #

Update to the suspension on the rig.

original_90a08b09-4f52-4399-a1ca-ade0e7dfd21b_PXL_20211207_225143283.jpg

After 7 mos. and adding weight to the nose of the truck the Fox IPF 2.0 coilovers needed to go. They are undersprung and under dampened for a kitted out rig. Adding the winch and mounting plate dropped the nose 2" over the last couple of months.

Went with OME BP-51's with medium weight springs up front and added The ICON tubular upper control arms. I already had the OME +660 lbs leaf springs in the rear. Haven't had it off pavement yet but I am really impressed how well this setup handles considering the weight of the rig.

PXL_20211207_225247463.jpg

Ursa Major

Rank VI

Influencer I

Woodstock, Vermont, United States
First Name
Gunnar
Last Name
Nourse
Member #

After several trips, we decided a couple things needed improved.

First on the list was fridge access.
The fridge was too high for the rest of the family to really use easily. This meant either loose the decked drawers to lower it down or find/build some sort of drop slide for it.
We went with the former, as this would drop a couple hundred pounds from the truck as well.
View attachment 205006

Staying on the weight loss theme, we needed to add some light weight storage for the bedding. I used some weld tube and paracord to fashion a light weight shelf.

View attachment 205007

The drop in the center of gravity is very noticeable. Handling improved greatly!

Planning on the dry foods living in a bear box of some sort, leaning heavily towards the Zarges cases for that.
I currently run a DECKED system in my Ranger, and was just curious on your full thoughts of the drawers. Did you not find them useful? Was it more the weight factor? I'm making a build very similar to yours and just looking for another view on it

slightNine

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Yukon, OK, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hutton
Member #

The decked drawers are awesome. I love them.

The fridge was just too high up for the Mrs. Tilt slides for the element fridge aren't in stock atm.

They'll be back in the build at some point.

Ursa Major

Rank VI

Influencer I

Woodstock, Vermont, United States
First Name
Gunnar
Last Name
Nourse
Member #

Nice! Perfect weather for it too! I just got a Wraptor 6K awning from Overland Pros and I'm gonna get that situated for a big trip this summer. Let us know how the roof nest goes!

slightNine

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Yukon, OK, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hutton
Member #

I nearly forgot to add this!

Picked up a Taeger Ranger pellet grill/smoker/griddle for the primary "camp stove". It has been game changing for us. Put on a boston butt, go about you day, come back to pork ready to shred for sandwiches etc. The griddle is a camp friendly bonus! The Bluetti AC200 has no trouble running it. On ignition it draws around 260 watts, after that is barely 30 watts/hour when the auger runs to add pellets.

It is 60ish lbs, but rather compact.

PXL_20220607_195541670.jpg

• Love
Reactions: GLOCKer and Shahn

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
I nearly forgot to add this!

Picked up a Taeger Ranger pellet grill/smoker/griddle for the primary "camp stove". It has been game changing for us. Put on a boston butt, go about you day, come back to pork ready to shred for sandwiches etc. The griddle is a camp friendly bonus! The Bluetti AC200 has no trouble running it. On ignition it draws around 260 watts, after that is barely 30 watts/hour when the auger runs to add pellets.

It is 60ish lbs, but rather compact.

View attachment 233301
OMG I want one of those! I figured it would be good for cooking around the house for just the wife an I. Stuff like a smaller brisket or a chicken.

How hot can it get? Can you grill up burgers for an added smokey flavor in 'em or is it strictly low and slow?

TCBTacoma

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butt
Member #

Love the build...while I'm a Taco guy, I've really found the Ranger interesting, so enjoy seeing how people build them and looking to learn more about the longer term experiences. I think your ground tent is a great solution given your requirements and downsizing approach. And I LOVE the webbing you put in for additional storage...the wheels are turning!

slightNine

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Yukon, OK, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hutton
Member #

Installed a KC Highlights M-rack with Gravity spots and side lights. Pretty involved install.

Spots have a dumb name, but God the light they throw.

Bonus, we now have an outside location for the recovery boards again.

Attachments