Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Monument, CO
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Woodward
Member #

I'm just starting out on my Overland build with my Ford F150 diesel truck. I've had a Ford Performance 2" Level Kit and Fox rear shocks installed, plus added a Expedition Rack and Decked drawer system. New Warne front and rear bumpers, 12K winch plus some offroad lights are waiting arrival of parts.

I'm looking at options for a dual battery on the F150. There isn't a lot of extra real estate under the hood, so thinking about mounting it in the back of the bed in a weatherproof box as a semi-permanent/portable solution. Local RV service place thinks it is feasible to mount it under the frame in a reinforced battery box.

I would use it to power a SnoMaster fridge, accessory lights mounted on the rack plus a few 12V/USB outlets for other accessories. I want to be able to use the starter battery to charge it while driving and tap in to solar and possibly shore power when camped.

I was thinking a AGM or Lithium battery with a Redarc Manager30 and either a Switch-Pro or Trigger6 switch package. I have a meeting with Overland Power Solutions to get in to this further, but frankly this stuff makes my head hurt. Electrical stuff is not in my wheelhouse and I'm more inclined to write a check than do it myself, but doesn't seem like there are turnkey solutions available in the US, like there are in Australia and South Africa.

I'm open to doing this myself. I have a few friends who have experience with this that respond well to pizza and beer.

Would gladly welcome comments from others who have installed a dual battery in a Ford F150 or put together portable solutions themselves.

Here's how the truck looks now:

2019 Ford F-150 Lariat Diesel 2.jpg

Last edited:

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
I think you are only going to be able to fit a second battery under the rear seat. I know my 3.5 eco doesn't have room in the engine bay, and i'm willing to bet yours is pretty much the same. If you have the inverter under the passenger side rear seat, you might be able to tap into the power input at that point for the second battery.

MikeW42

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Monument, CO
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Woodward
Member #

I think you are only going to be able to fit a second battery under the rear seat. I know my 3.5 eco doesn't have room in the engine bay, and i'm willing to bet yours is pretty much the same. If you have the inverter under the passenger side rear seat, you might be able to tap into the power input at that point for the second battery.
Mine is like your 3.5 EcoBoost. No extra real estate under the hood. They have a good size AGM in the diesel but unless I want to mess with the air box, there isn't room. Hadn't thought about the rear seat but definitely an option to keep it out of the weather. I asked Redarc for some ideas and they are coming back with some suggestions, plus Overland Power Solutions is working up a solution that is portable that I can mount in the bed in a commercial oversized NOCO battery box.

Rex: I'm not aware of any Ford factory options for a F150. Perhaps on their larger F250 and above. When I posed that question to my dealer's accessories and service folks, that wasn't an option.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Mine is like your 3.5 EcoBoost. No extra real estate under the hood. They have a good size AGM in the diesel but unless I want to mess with the air box, there isn't room. Hadn't thought about the rear seat but definitely an option to keep it out of the weather. I asked Redarc for some ideas and they are coming back with some suggestions, plus Overland Power Solutions is working up a solution that is portable that I can mount in the bed in a commercial oversized NOCO battery box.

Rex: I'm not aware of any Ford factory options for a F150. Perhaps on their larger F250 and above. When I posed that question to my dealer's accessories and service folks, that wasn't an option.
You get a dual battery setup for an F-350 with the diesel for the same generation of truck... you need the second battery tray, air box from the diesel, and the wiring harness.

JMSYD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

PNW
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7TXT
I just added a 2nd battery system, in a Lund box in the bed. I use a Redarc BCDC charger in the box. This is powering LED bed lights, power for the tent (lights, 12vdc, phone chargers), rear flood light, ham radio (HF, VHF). I'll probably add a small inverter, and a solar panel can be plugged in directly when I eventually get one. The next step for this is to make a distribution box which will be mounted on the RCI rack, with switches and outlets. It's connected to the main battery via AWG6 cable which runs along the passenger frame and up into the bed next to the fender.

IMG_2112.JPGIMG_2113.JPGIMG_2115.JPG

Attachments

JMSYD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

PNW
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7TXT
One thing I'd suggest is a larger box than I have, it's technically enough but pretty cramped and doesn't leave much room for expansion, e.g. for an inverter, or powersupply to allow charging from mains.

This is the enclosure I'll use for the control box, to be mounted on the outside of the RCI rack:

and the hinged front:

This will be under the folded out part of the rooftop tent when camping.

I've tried to use American made stuff as much as possible, and use marine grade components.

MikeW42

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Monument, CO
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Woodward
Member #

Redarc and Blue Sea Safety Hub 150 are what I plan on using. What is the dimensions of the Lund box? The folks at Overland Power Solutions were proposing a build using a NOCO 8D Commercial Battery box that is 21x11.8x 10.3 and thought that was going to be a little cramped and limit expanding it.

I was originally thinking a box that extended across the back or passenger side of the bed with the outlets facing towards the tailgate for easy access. In the latter case, I will lose access to the tie downs, so still debating the location. Use some for the power system and have additional space for other storage.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Nice build so far! My 2015 has served me well on multiple expeditions and operations. Check out my build in my link for ideas.

MikeW42

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Monument, CO
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Woodward
Member #

Excellent. I'll follow your thread. You have some good ideas that I hope you don't mind I pirate.

My goals are similar. Mine is my daily driver as well, so no plans for rock crawling or extreme 4wd trails either. I like what you did with the BuiltRIght molle panels. With the Decked system, I can't run their panels but am working with Orange Box to fab molle panels that extend fore and aft on both bed sides that I can tie into the mounting slots on the expedition rack, while retaining access to the tie down points. I used their rear seat release as well plus have their velcro molle panel and dash mount coming in. I may mount the Trigger6 switch panel on it. Just testing the velcro molle panel to see if that will work under the seat for a small trauma/first aid kit and other smaller items.

IMG_1385 (002).jpg

MikeW42

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Monument, CO
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Woodward
Member #

RV Service shop I went to recommended that as well but still working through the use of a Redarc Manager30. They just wanted to use an isolator switch and I want the ability to recharge the battery using solar and possibly shore power. On the frame will help with space in the bed.

Reactions: Sparksalot

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I like having the switch so that I know for sure that an aux house battery can't drain my main.

I'll be going with a low wattage solar setup, if I stick with this hobby and get a camper.