First Name
Wouter
Last Name
Parmentier
Member #

Day 18

I hate camping

Well, it started to storm this night...
So we got out off bed, folder the rtt up and went to sleep in the car.
Well, Elodie slept a little. I couldn't, normaly i can sleep everywhere, but for some reason it wasn't working.
So we decided to find is a good hotel this evening.

Once on the Road we went to the very Southern tip off öland, Ottenby.

IMG-20190819-WA0004.jpg

It's a very beautifull place. There we're a lot off Bird wathers there.

IMG-20190819-WA0021.jpg

And turbo was very interested in watch i did with some rocks

IMG-20190819-WA0002.jpg

We then went back to the main land of Sweden

IMG-20190819-WA0027.jpg

Over a very long bridge that went very high :p

We drove some more, stoped at a shop to get some food and coffee, stoped at a gas station to get some more coffee.
Eventually we stoppen to eat a bit and let turbo out to do some dog things...

like Running after fliyng sticks ;)

We then went to look for a camping because the weather was very good and we already fergotten the bad weather off yesterday ;)

But the search for a camping (or b&b ) had to wait becuas we Found An amazing place to check out:

IMG_20190819_144520.jpg

IMG-20190819-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20190819-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20190819-WA0017.jpg

IMG-20190819-WA0029.jpg

IMG-20190819-WA0034.jpg

IMG-20190819-WA0035.jpg

IMG-20190819-WA0054.jpg

After this amazing sight we went to look for something to camp again. And eventually Found a very Nice spot, near a lake again ;)

IMG-20190819-WA0000.jpg

We went to the nearest town to eat a good warm meal, because we didn't want to coock.
When we just orderd it started to storm again. So we said that we would definitely book a hotel this time !
The food was not to bad though
IMG_20190819_184120.jpg

So yeah, we are now lading in a good soft bed and Will watch some Netflix tonight ;)

Attachments

76_overlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

wanted to know more about this car graveyard and could not read the picture of the board so :

"The story of the car cemetery begins with Åke Danielsson, who lived in the village of Ryd in southern Sweden. In 1935 he bought a piece of forested peat bog, where he harvested the natural fuel and fertilizer by hand. As demand grew, “Åke on the Bog” upped production by building himself a peat shredder using old car engines.

With the post-war years came a boom in car ownership, and the village of Ryd’s old cast-offs were often abandoned to the surrounding forest. Åke started gathering them up, and with no training in engines or auto mechanics—he didn’t even have a driver’s license—he learned all he could from the old junkers. A little side business in spare parts caught on, and soon he had a skrotbilar – loosely translated, a “scrap yard”—and the parts business outstripped the peat. The collection grew until 1974, the year Åke bought his last car.

Over time the empty shells took on an aesthetic life of their own, attracting tourists and shutterbugs. Even though Åke had been keenly aware of the risk of contamination to his peat bog, careful to always remove the gas, oil and batteries, City Hall wasn’t so keen on the whole setup. They decided the cars had to be sent to an authorized recycling site, imposing a fine if it wasn’t done by a November 1998 deadline.

That’s when some bad weather struck. The plan had to be postponed, which gave Åke’s supporters valuable lobbying time. All kinds of people rallied to his defense, including journalists, photographers, and even the director of the Småland Museum in nearby Växjö. The voices of support won out, and a 49-year permit for the site was issued.

Åke Danielsson passed away in 2000, but not before seeing his scrap heap saved from the scrap heap. What’s to happen after the year 2047 is anyone’s guess, but the skrotbilar is staying put. At least for the time being."

Source

WouterP

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West-flanders (Belgium)
First Name
Wouter
Last Name
Parmentier
Member #

Day 19

Bird watching

So we slept very good tonight. OH and the breakfasts !! That was something ! So good.
That's what i like the most about the hotels, those awsome breakfasts !!

We went on route and didn't have to stop for coffee, we drank a little to mutch of it this morning .

We arrived in Falsterbo around noon and went for e little walk on the coast.
It was a Nice walk around a golf club.
A bit windy but very sunny.
Turbo Found some sticks to play with and dunes to run off so all was good :)

IMG-20190820-WA0009.jpg

Then we met with my fathers frends and joint them on a field to watch the birds who flex over and migrate to the warmer Parts of europe and some even to Arriva, to spend the winter there.

We saw some Eagles( fisch Eagle and sea Eagle, don't knouw if that's the right name of them) and some other large groups off big birds, i'm not that familiar with al the bird,.

IMG-20190820-WA0008.jpg

But it was nice relaxing.

We then spread some of my fathers ashes.
This was the place he went every two years with his mates to count all the migrating birds.
The birdlife was his hobby like the overland/offroad and cars, is mine.
So this was a very good spot and groupe to give home some honour and Remember him.

Now we are at the home they Rent and we Will join them for bqq and sleep on the parking lot.
No doubt we Will talk some more about my father. That's a way i can know him some more like how they knew him.

WouterP

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West-flanders (Belgium)
First Name
Wouter
Last Name
Parmentier
Member #

Day 20

It was a relaxed morning,
We ate some eggs, bacon, very tastefull Swedish bread, and around 10u we went back to the tip of Falsterbo.

We watched birds for some hours and saw some great formations and large birds (again some Eagles and other not so comon once)

At around 12u we ( Elodie, turbo and me) left and hit the Road with destination, home.

We had to pay toll for the bridge from Sweden to Denmark, drove treu Denmark with just one stop (coffee and sandwiches) and took the ferry to Germany.

When we passed Hamburg we drove off the highway to look for a Nice hotel.
We wanted to stay in a good hotel for the last night and enjoy the last night of our trip.
But al the hotels we looked at were way to expencive or it Nice enough. There was like no Middle route to take.

So we drove back on the highway.
We then Found a Nice hotel Ith the right price in the city
Off Bremen.
The parking lot off the hotel was full so we searched for a Place around the hotel, on the side of the Streets, but all was full. We Found some place to park the car really far from the hotel and in some shady neighbourhood.

So, NAH
Don't want to come back tomorrow and find the car without rtt or broken in to.

So decided to drive home in one go and arive around 2u at night.

But Elodie managed to find some other hotel near the route we have to take.
Will drive the last 500km tomorrow.

The hotel is not to bad, but the airco or wathever is making a lot off noise, you can hear everyone talking outside, but yeah the bass are good ;)

Hope the breakfasts is very good tomorrow morning.

Good night !

WouterP

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West-flanders (Belgium)
First Name
Wouter
Last Name
Parmentier
Member #

Day 21

Back home

So the breakfasts wasn't what we expected.
We longed for a breakfasts lik 2 mornings ago in Sweden. But it wasn't that extensieve.
It wasn't bad though. (It also was lik 45 € difference on price ;) )

The dat wasn't that exciting. A lot of driving back home

We stoped just befor the border of the Netherlands to fill up the tank with diesel. There is like a 20 cents difference in the price !!

We then stopper somewhere in Holland to have a quick lunch.
And we arrived at my moms around 4u30 in the afternoon.
O we filled up the tank some more because the diesel getting more expencive tomorrow in Belgium

So we are back home again..

And already longin for the next trip ;)