Launch Member

Member I

Norwich, CT
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Heely
Member #

Here's a shot from the day I brought her home.

IMG_1695 (3).JPG

Here's what she currently looks like.

4runner_with_sliders.JPG

Completed Items
  • Falken Wildpeak A/T3W tires in 275/70R17
  • Toyotec Rock Sliders

Upcoming Mods
  • ARB Diff Breather Relocation
  • Rockblockz Mud Flaps
  • Apex Overland Front Recovery Points
  • Install Braketeer and Fire Extinguisher

Attachments

Last edited:

Marman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pleasant Hill, MO
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Marlowe
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Retired
I have the Wildpeak's on order for mine in the same size. Looking forward to following your progress. I had to look up 2 items on your future mods list, lets just say my mod list got longer.

PaulH

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Norwich, CT
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Heely
Member #

Got my Toytec rock sliders installed. These are made by RCI for Toytec. Look almost identical to the RCI ones, just with the Toytec name. I chose these primarially because Toytec had them in stock and I needed them for an off-road trip in a couple of weeks.

slider_pair.JPG

They came well packaged and had no damage.
slider_packaging.JPG

In hind sight I should have left the foam packing material on the sliders to protect the paint on the 4Runner, just in case. Thankfully I didn't have any accidents. I was also pleasantly surprised when I got them unpacked that the tops of the sliders had a raised tread pattern to reduce slipping; important in New England because of ice and snow.
slider_tread_closeup.JPG

I removed the plastic plugs from the frame that would be under where the sliders mounting plate would be. I also applied Fluid Film to the contact surface between the sliders and frame. Once that was done, I got them up in place using a jack and a jack stand to get a bolt on either side started.
jack_holding_slider.JPG

After that it was easy to get the rest of the bolts installed and everything torqued down. I did use Blue Loctite gel on all the bolts. Love that Loctite gel! Here's a shot of the final product, and yes the 4Runner needs a good washing...
4runner_with_sliders.JPG

PaulH

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Norwich, CT
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Heely
Member #

In an attempt to reduce the rubbing I'm getting with my 275/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT/3Ws, I ordered a set of Rockblokz mud flaps. Got the fronts installed yesterday and no longer have rubbing on the mud flap, but will need to do the fender liner mod .

Here's the original front mudflap. The big hump in it seems to be the source of rubbing, and other than asthetics, I could not see any reason for the hump.
old_front_mudflap_full.jpg

You can definitely see where the tire was rubbing. This is from the drivers side, which had the worse rubbing.
old_front_mudflap_close_up.jpg

The new Rockblokz flap is flat and has a cutout to further reduce the chance of tire contact.
new_front_mudflap.jpg

End result is no more rubbing on the mud flaps, but now i have an ever so slight rub on the inner fender liner. Will be doing the fender liner mod soon. The chart that says a 275/70R17 will fit a 5th gen 4Runner with no issues and no mods, must not have been created using this particular tire.

Reactions: Wallygator

Marman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pleasant Hill, MO
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Marlowe
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Retired
I have the same tires in the same size and have just minor rubbing on the mud flaps at full turn in reverse. I didn't know about these flaps, will be looking at ordering a set as well. Thanks.