Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
New to me a 2018 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum AWD. Even has an 'Off-Road' mode. But with 20" wheels, won't be practical for overlanding. With the 2nd and 3rd row seats down, I can definitely sleep in the vehicle. I took my 'advisor' with me for her honest and unfiltered opinions.

IMG_1480.jpeg

IMG_1481.jpeg

IMG_1482.jpeg

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Nice ride, we love our XC90. Surprisingly for a 2L turbo the thing can surly get up and go.
Yes for sure. For the short time that I've had it I've only switched to Dynamic mode a few times and I can tell the response time difference. Can't wait to try the Off-Road mode.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I think a lot of people don’t realize that they come with 9.4” of ground clearance. That’s more than a LOT of other vehicles that see this type of use including Subarus.

Grab some smaller wheels and appropriate tires and you’ll be good to go on a lot of stuff. I think some 17’s will fit but in general 18 is good to go. My only concern with the XC90 would be it’s soft paneled underbelly. That and everything is expensive to replace.

I like ours more than the wife but it’s her vehicle. It’s been an awesome road warrior and it gets her through the winters safely. Looking forward to seeing what you do with yours.

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I think a lot of people don’t realize that they come with 9.4” of ground clearance. That’s more than a LOT of other vehicles that see this type of use including Subarus.

Grab some smaller wheels and appropriate tires and you’ll be good to go on a lot of stuff. I think some 17’s will fit but in general 18 is good to go. My only concern with the XC90 would be it’s soft paneled underbelly. That and everything is expensive to replace.

I like ours more than the wife but it’s her vehicle. It’s been an awesome road warrior and it gets her through the winters safely. Looking forward to seeing what you do with yours.
Yeah the height is something to get used to since I am used to stepping onto a step bar on my truck. Not sure if my version lifts the car up when in off-road mode or not? The car came with 20's so I might just keep it for now and upgrade the tires. The one it came with are a little questionable as far as remaining life. A visual tells me that it will not get through another Winter.

Taking it for a longer drive this weekend, so we'll see how she does and what I think I might like to add/modify. For now just picked up some air fresheners lol.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Yeah the height is something to get used to since I am used to stepping onto a step bar on my truck. Not sure if my version lifts the car up when in off-road mode or not? The car came with 20's so I might just keep it for now and upgrade the tires. The one it came with are a little questionable as far as remaining life. A visual tells me that it will not get through another Winter.

Taking it for a longer drive this weekend, so we'll see how she does and what I think I might like to add/modify. For now just picked up some air fresheners lol.
Tire selection in the OE size is pretty not great. Be glad you have the 20 though (the 21 and 22 selection is atrocious) because there is an severe snow service AT tire available in that size. If you decide to do a smaller wheel later I’m sure it would open up your options and get you out of some pretty pricey poor examples of tires.

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Tire selection in the OE size is pretty not great. Be glad you have the 20 though (the 21 and 22 selection is atrocious) because there is an severe snow service AT tire available in that size. If you decide to do a smaller wheel later I’m sure it would open up your options and get you out of some pretty pricey poor examples of tires.
Yeah when I did a quick search at Les Schwab they only had 4 choices starting at $181 on up. Hoping I won't have to look at tires again for a long time. Rather use that money on the premium gas I'm gonna have to use.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits