Nashville, TN
First Name
David
Last Name
Yancy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4DKY
When we were shopping for a truck recently, we compared both the ZR2 and the Tacoma TRD Pro. We went with the ZR2.

Our garage is proof that a TRD 4Runner and a ZR2 can co-exist nicely. ;)

Terex

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Taos, NM
I really see no reason to buy a PRO over a regular TRD OR. The fact that these are getting marked up above an already high MSRP is ludicrous to me.
Yeah, I recently looked into the Pro's when my wife bought a new vehicle. I was trying to get her to buy a Forerunner, but she really wanted a Highlander. :( The Pro's are a point of entry add-on in the US and they actually don't have some of the competency of the TRD OR. They Taco and the Forerunner Pros look really cool though!

Last edited:
Reactions: StuntmanMike

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Yeah, I recently looked into the Pro's when my wife bought a new vehicle. I was trying to get her to buy a Forerunner, but she really wanted a Highlander. :( The Pro's are a point of enter add-on in the US and they actually don't have some of the competency of the TRD OR. They Taco and the Forerunner Pros look really cool though!
Your wife is a smart woman! While it's not as cool as a 4R, as a DD the Highlander is better in every way than the 4R, other than offroading. I think the Highlander can even tow more.

Terex

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Taos, NM
Your wife is a smart woman! While it's not as cool as a 4R, as a DD the Highlander is better in every way than the 4R, other than offroading. I think the Highlander can even tow more.
She is a smart woman - very smart! The Highlander and the ZR2 complement each other for our needs and if I take a couple of things off the top of the Chevy, both will fit in the garage. The 4R is really cool, but the technology is old, there really aren't any of the bells and whistles that she likes, and, well, she's happy.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

This is sort of a tough one. The ZR2 is just overall more comfortable off-road and on-road, especially for tall people and those who enjoy a smooth ride. It has a front locker which is pretty awesome for crawling but not truly needed for overlanding. It also has the diesel engine option while being "Prius slow" it has excellent range. The biggest drawback with the ZR2 currently is limited options for aftermarket support however that is quickly changing. That being said you really don't need to do much because it's just so capable for the majority of drivers. BUT for serious overlanding you will need to beef up the rear leafs which means custom leafs. No one currently offers one but Deaver says they can make them. For mild overlanding an add-a-leaf should be good enough. The ZR2 is more unique and some people dig that.

If you want to build a serious overland rig and don't feel like dealing with custom work then the Toyota is an easy choice. Parts are easy to find and so is support. The work has already been done for you so you just need to throw money at it. Sure you won't have a front locker but you have crawl control and that's pretty darn good for overlanding. If you were building a rock crawler I'd argue for the locker. You'll also be just another Taco on the trail but who cares what everyone else thinks.

As for reliability, they both have issues. Go play on their respective forums and you'll find the '16+ Taco has just as many issues as any other new truck. Taco reliability is not what it used to be. Sucks but it is what it is.

Zillon

Rank II

Enthusiast II

CNJ
First Name
Zack
Last Name
R
I chose the Colorado because it drove better, I fit better, the technology was better, and the deal was better. If I was to choose between the ZR2 and the TRD Pro Taco - the ZR2 would win 100%.

The aftermarket is certainly improving for the twins, and as many have said... Tacoma reliability just isn't what it once was. I have a friend who was a service advisor for Toyota for many years up until last year. Things have certainly changed.

Yota-Rover

Rank 0

Traveler I

Wow tons of input!! Thanks you guys! I’ll be sure to put up photos of the new rig once the yota dies and I need a new truck! Running 316K now it might be soon and it might be years from now. You never know with these old yotas.

I’m definitely leaning towards the Colorado.

Reactions: Terex

Michael Kinnett

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Muncie, IN
Member #

Ummm, which one is it? You own a 2013 Toyota Tacoma Limited DCLB, or you don’t own a Toyota?
I don't own the company, Toyota, so I don't care. Do you understand context of speech, because I had 3 people read what I said and they all understood I was making reference to the company. I didn't say, "I don't own A Toyota" I said "I don't own Toyota".

Reactions: Arailt

Michael Kinnett

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Muncie, IN
Member #

Ok, where to start? I'll just go with the statement about diesels. Not true. Chevy sells, by far, more 3.6 ZR2's than diesels. Sales data shows MANY conquest sales for the Colorado.

EVERY truck has a weakness or compromise. Put some shock mount armor on the ZR2 and get a good spotter, which you should have, anyway. I've seen ZR2's do extremely well on some very tough trails. In fact, I've seen more of them on the trail than TRD Pros.
I think you misunderstood my point about Toyota having a diesel. If the Tacoma had a diesel, people wanting the option wouldn't buy the Chevy. I've personally spoken to more than half a dozen owners of a Colorado who went Chevy for the diesel powerplant and for no other reason, so call that subjective, as it is my opinion. Every truck does have their weakness, but those lower shock mounts are poor design, I've never heard anyone reason otherwise but feel free to. I just haven't heard good justification for such poor mounting location considering it's an "off road" truck yet, but I'm willing to listen.

Michael Kinnett

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Muncie, IN
Member #

This is sort of a tough one. The ZR2 is just overall more comfortable off-road and on-road, especially for tall people and those who enjoy a smooth ride.
I have to disagree on two points. I'm 6'3" tall and the Tacoma fit is just fine. I haven't driven the Colorado but I have ridden in one and they definitely had a different feel, but the Tacoma is just fine, you just have to accept it's a shallower floor pan. On the smooth ride, my Tacoma was perfectly fine stock. It didn't get uncomfortable at all until I added weight and upgraded suspension. I've driven my '13, a '16, and '18 and I didn't notice any difference in ride quality (for a truck, they're all fine) but that's just me.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I don't own the company, Toyota, so I don't care. Do you understand context of speech, because I had 3 people read what I said and they all understood I was making reference to the company. I didn't say, "I don't own A Toyota" I said "I don't own Toyota".
I misread what you wrote at 5:30 in the morning. Clearly you have it all figured out and I never should have ever doubted you.

Reactions: Michael Kinnett

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I think you misunderstood my point about Toyota having a diesel. If the Tacoma had a diesel, people wanting the option wouldn't buy the Chevy. I've personally spoken to more than half a dozen owners of a Colorado who went Chevy for the diesel powerplant and for no other reason, so call that subjective, as it is my opinion. Every truck does have their weakness, but those lower shock mounts are poor design, I've never heard anyone reason otherwise but feel free to. I just haven't heard good justification for such poor mounting location considering it's an "off road" truck yet, but I'm willing to listen.

Chevy has been using that shock mount on 1 tons on down since the late 80's. If you are really concerned you can install a shock skid. I admit if you spend all your time crawling thru boulder fields it could be a pita.
I think the weak link is the aluminum drive shaft but you can replace with a steel version.
The ZR2 is really getting a lot of aftermarket support now that it was been on the market for just over a year.

Reactions: DanW

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I have to disagree on two points. I'm 6'3" tall and the Tacoma fit is just fine. I haven't driven the Colorado but I have ridden in one and they definitely had a different feel, but the Tacoma is just fine, you just have to accept it's a shallower floor pan. On the smooth ride, my Tacoma was perfectly fine stock. It didn't get uncomfortable at all until I added weight and upgraded suspension. I've driven my '13, a '16, and '18 and I didn't notice any difference in ride quality (for a truck, they're all fine) but that's just me.

While the ZR2 has the Colorado name it rides totally different that the Z71. The DSSV shocks are amazing.

Reactions: JCWages

Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Bay Area CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
Chevy and Ford mount all their leaf spring based shocks the same way - inboard hanging below the axle. Jeep does a nice job tucking the shocks close to the wheels. Not sure if they have leaf springs or coils.

I put the 589 skids on mine but agree that GM should engineer a better setup for this truck. It would probably add cost to make an oddball in their lineup.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Aye, it's just you. The ceiling is uncomfortably low and the floor is uncomfortably high for me at 6'3". Now, that being said I see tall people drive Tacos all the time and they seem to enjoy their trucks but that doesn't change the fact that the GM Twins have more headroom and a more conventional seating position compared to the Taco.

The Taco rides like a truck, an old truck. The ZR2 offers a smoother more refined ride as does the non-ZR2 but the ZR2 is on a whole nother level. Just because YOU are ok with the way the Taco rides doesn't change the fact that the ZR2 rides smoother.

Do you see a trend here? There are facts and there are opinions. It's ok to have an opinion but don't confuse the two. :)

For the record, I went to buy a Taco in 2016 until I test drove one and compared it to the Canyon. The Taco is a great truck but it wasn't a good fit for me.

Reactions: Michael Kinnett

Michael Kinnett

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Muncie, IN
Member #

Aye, it's just you. The ceiling is uncomfortably low and the floor is uncomfortably high for me at 6'3". Now, that being said I see tall people drive Tacos all the time and they seem to enjoy their trucks but that doesn't change the fact that the GM Twins have more headroom and a more conventional seating position compared to the Taco.

The Taco rides like a truck, an old truck. The ZR2 offers a smoother more refined ride as does the non-ZR2 but the ZR2 is on a whole nother level. Just because YOU are ok with the way the Taco rides doesn't change the fact that the ZR2 rides smoother.

Do you see a trend here? There are facts and there are opinions. It's ok to have an opinion but don't confuse the two. :)

For the record, I went to buy a Taco in 2016 until I test drove one and compared it to the Canyon. The Taco is a great truck but it wasn't a good fit for me.
So what you're saying is, what I'm saying are opinions but what you're saying are facts? So you use the word "feel" but quote it as a fact.... How is that quantifiable? And you end that whole statement with "...wasn't a good fit for ME." Just as you stated, many tall people drive Tacomas, just like any other vehicle, it's all subjective based on what you're looking for and how you feel. Additional headroom is not a factor that would ever make me buy one brand over another if everything else about the truck/vehicle was inferior (for what I'm looking for, wants, needs, etc,.) so that wasn't a selling point for me, especially seeing as I didn't have any issues with any gen Tacoma made (I've driven/ridden in them all), or as a matter of fact any of the nearly 200 different vehicles I've driven (used to have a job driving cars/trucks/suv's). So I disagree on not having enough room for tall people and I'm somehow negating the facts because there's 1.7" more head room in the Colorado? No, it's still an opinion and it's true, there's more than enough room for me, or you unless you have some abnormally long torso or a huge ass. Quantifying one suspension over another as "smoother" is kind of ridiculous don't you think? Did you buy the Colorado for the smooth suspension? I've NEVER known someone who bought a truck for the smooth suspension, unless they're looking at that aspect for towing or maybe as a delivery vehicle they spend 8+ hours in a day. As a tertiary feature, sure, but you act like that's the reason you bought it over a Tacoma, come on.

Reactions: chuckoverland

Michael Kinnett

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Muncie, IN
Member #

Chevy and Ford mount all their leaf spring based shocks the same way - inboard hanging below the axle. Jeep does a nice job tucking the shocks close to the wheels. Not sure if they have leaf springs or coils.

I put the 589 skids on mine but agree that GM should engineer a better setup for this truck. It would probably add cost to make an oddball in their lineup.
Closer to the wheel isn't bad, but that's not the case with the Colorado like it is with the Jeep due to the different suspension setup. As I said before, if not for that it'd be much more desirable for its intended capability (off road). This isn't a complete killer, but it's not helping it (the truck).

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Dude, I think it's time to call it a day. You are taking this way too personal. My whole point on chiming in on this tread, and a few others on other media, is to say it's cool that another manufacturer is taking this segment seriously. This will benefit everyone, regardless of their preferred brand. Unfortunately, it's the Toyota guys who are flinging all the mud at GM's attempt. I will go through a few of my points to better clarify some of my thoughts.

I wouldn't call it line choice or driving experience, but rather the TERRIBLE ground clearance and rear shock mounts that are clearly designed by someone who doesn't have a clue about off road driving. You can put 37's on a Chevy Tahoe but that doesn't make it a Land Cruiser or as capable as one with 33's.

If Toyota put a diesel in their Taco, Chevy would only sell to brand loyal's. If you're looking for actual capability right out of the box and reliability, I can't give it to the ZR2 at all. All of the off-road tests you can find on youtube are terribly biased in the comparisons because the TRD they're testing are on road radials vs all terrains on the ZR2 and the TRD does just as well.
If I remember correctly it did the Rubicon, with full support and a professional driver. Hell a Kia Sorrento did Hells Gate with a professional driver and PLENTY of built vehicles have failed that being driven by amateurs or weekend warriors, does that mean that a Sorrento is more capable? Not being snarky, just making a point.

Any true capability test needs to have as equal parameters as possible. Same driver, same lines, same tires, otherwise you're not going to get anything close to a real result of capability. All of the YT comparisons have been on the stock tires, and Toyota sells their Tacos with more road worthy tires that are decent, but not an All Terrain by any means.
You are talking out of both sides of your mouth here. On one side the TERRIBLE (your emphasis) ground clearance can not be overcome by the driver or line choice, but then the ZR2 is only capable of running the Rubicon because they used a professional driver. As to the YouTube videos, a stock truck versus stock truck (tires and all) is not bias. This is one area where Toyota may learn something with these new competitors and put decent tires on their off-road oriented models. As to reliability, as stated by others, the Toyota has slipped a bit on this most current generation. Capability out of the box? Given your statements that the videos are unfair makes me think the Chevy was shown to be more capable. I know you think it was rigged, but unless they modified one and not the other, it sounds like a fair fight. Can you make the Toyota more capable than the GM, I'm certain you can. But again, I am only talking about stock vs. stock.

You also really seem to be hung up on the shock mounts. That's been the only performance related thing I can remember you bringing up. HONESTLY, how big of a deal is this on an "overland" style rig? Yes, it sucks in big rocks, but if your a regular rock crawler you're probably going to build a Wrangler or buggy. It's really a minor point, in my not-a-toyota-fan opinion.

Calling me a fanboy and accusing me of making negative comments, that's attacking. You didn't answer me, what experience do you have with either vehicle? You haven't refuted anything I've said, merely called me a fanboy and dismissed my opinion and accuse me of just making negative comments like I'm trolling around the internet telling people not to buy the Colorado with biased information. And the losing the top spot thing, I don't own Toyota so I really don't care. Honestly I wish someone with make a big impact on the mid sized market so we could get a diesel and a wheel well redesign, because there's literally nowhere else the Tacoma is lacking for the money you spend on one.
Yes, I called you a fanboy. It wasn't meant to be derogatory, though I can see how you thought it was. You are obviously fanatical about your Toyota, that's fine. You will never own anything but Toyota, OK. It doesn't make anyone else's opinion or statements less valid.

You DID make negative comments, so that is not an unfair accusation. You clearly are trying to steer people away from the GMs with your biased opinion.

OK, again, you love your Toyota. I have heard many people complain about them being cramped. You feel OK in it, fine. I used to own a Pathfinder, it had a very low seating position, just inches off the floor. I didn't mind it, my wife hated it. Is she wrong because I thought it was OK?

Don't be pissed and defensive just because I, and others, don't agree with you. Variety is the spice of life.

Michael Kinnett

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Muncie, IN
Member #

Dude, I think it's time to call it a day. You are taking this way too personal. My whole point on chiming in on this tread, and a few others on other media, is to say it's cool that another manufacturer is taking this segment seriously. This will benefit everyone, regardless of their preferred brand. Unfortunately, it's the Toyota guys who are flinging all the mud at GM's attempt. I will go through a few of my points to better clarify some of my thoughts.

You are talking out of both sides of your mouth here. On one side the TERRIBLE (your emphasis) ground clearance can not be overcome by the driver or line choice, but then the ZR2 is only capable of running the Rubicon because they used a professional driver. As to the YouTube videos, a stock truck versus stock truck (tires and all) is not bias. This is one area where Toyota may learn something with these new competitors and put decent tires on their off-road oriented models. As to reliability, as stated by others, the Toyota has slipped a bit on this most current generation. Capability out of the box? Given your statements that the videos are unfair makes me think the Chevy was shown to be more capable. I know you think it was rigged, but unless they modified one and not the other, it sounds like a fair fight. Can you make the Toyota more capable than the GM, I'm certain you can. But again, I am only talking about stock vs. stock.

You also really seem to be hung up on the shock mounts. That's been the only performance related thing I can remember you bringing up. HONESTLY, how big of a deal is this on an "overland" style rig? Yes, it sucks in big rocks, but if your a regular rock crawler you're probably going to build a Wrangler or buggy. It's really a minor point, in my not-a-toyota-fan opinion.

Yes, I called you a fanboy. It wasn't meant to be derogatory, though I can see how you thought it was. You are obviously fanatical about your Toyota, that's fine. You will never own anything but Toyota, OK. It doesn't make anyone else's opinion or statements less valid.

You DID make negative comments, so that is not an unfair accusation. You clearly are trying to steer people away from the GMs with your biased opinion.

OK, again, you love your Toyota. I have heard many people complain about them being cramped. You feel OK in it, fine. I used to own a Pathfinder, it had a very low seating position, just inches off the floor. I didn't mind it, my wife hated it. Is she wrong because I thought it was OK?

Don't be pissed and defensive just because I, and others, don't agree with you. Variety is the spice of life.

Speaking of being defensive, you should take a step back and re-read the things you've said, and the fact you just spent all of that time quoting several of my posts that had nothing to do with you.