2018 TRD pro VS 2018 Chevy ZR2 for overlanding

• HTML tutorial

Yota-Rover

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey all! I was curious to see what you all think about 2018 TRD pro VS 2018 Chevy ZR2 for overlanding.

Looking at maybe replacing the old yota some day. These are the two trucks that stand out to me.

The only reason the ZR2 stands out to me is that it has front and rear lockers. Something I just recently found out. Also something the Pro seems to lack. But I still like the tacoma (always been a Toyota guy)

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
That new ZR2 Bison seems interesting too with the AEV skid plates and bumpers, snorkel, etc. I haven’t seen a price, but I know they’re all way out of my price range!

Reactions: Roam_CO85

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I saw that chevy came out with a diesel Colorado. A duramax diesel and a zr2 package would be a bomb off road rig. I have always wanted a lil frame pickup but doesn’t work well having horses. Id choose the colorado with the factory lockers. One less thing you’d have to put on. A diesel engine. Travel a long ways before having to feed it!

Reactions: KDC and m_lars

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
Hey all! I was curious to see what you all think about 2018 TRD pro VS 2018 Chevy ZR2 for overlanding.

Looking at maybe replacing the old yota some day. These are the two trucks that stand out to me.

The only reason the ZR2 stands out to me is that it has front and rear lockers. Something I just recently found out. Also something the Pro seems to lack. But I still like the tacoma (always been a Toyota guy)
Factory lockers would be a turnoff for me. I would rather open diffs and install ARBS or a Detroit.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Dear Santa...I would like one of each please and make the ZR2 a diesel. Please don't tell The Black Pearl...she's an angry one and a bit jealous. HaHa....:sunglasses:

Reactions: flyingnome

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
The TRD off road has factory rear diff lock and crawl control.
It doesn’t sound like they come with that traditional Toyota reliability though. At least that’s what I’ve gathered in casual forum reading.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Factory lockers would be a turnoff for me. I would rather open diffs and install ARBS or a Detroit.
There are many variables in choosing how to outfit your rig. The ARB has kind of become the gold standard for selectable lockers, but that comes with a price. If your going to wheel a brand new rig that probably doesn’t really matter. Personally I’d never run a Detroit in a daily driver.

Reactions: Arailt

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
There are many variables in choosing how to outfit your rig. The ARB has kind of become the gold standard for selectable lockers, but that comes with a price. If your going to wheel a brand new rig that probably doesn’t really matter. Personally I’d never run a Detroit in a daily driver.
True, but OP did not mention cost as an issue.

Personally I’d never run a Detroit in a daily driver.
Been doing for 15 years, 70 miles round trip, 5 days a week. No big deal. Not sure where that rumor started, glad I did not believe it.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Been doing for 15 years, 70 miles round trip, 5 days a week. No big deal. Not sure where that rumor started, glad I did not believe it.
In snow? I’m not sure that’s the adventure I want driving up a snowy mountain pass at 3am on my way to work for snow removal.

Last edited:

Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Bay Area CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
I've had a ZR2 for about 3 months and am loving it. It seems to be a lot more bang for the buck compared to the Tacomas I looked at, although there were no Pros anywhere to be found and the Bay Area dealerships mark them up considerably >$50K. I paid under $40K for the ZR2 and it has everything you would expect in a modern vehicle and is super quiet on freeway. The DSSV shocks are awesome on-road and off and with the front and rear lockers, the truck climbs like a goat.
They haven't announced pricing for the Bison but there's really nothing there except better skid plates and the rear bumper looks interesting. It has ugly wheels and the same size tires.
The challenge compared to the Tacoma is finding aftermarket parts. They are starting to show up but are limited. It's hard to go from the stock 31" tires to 33s without rubbing but it can be done with a little clearancing work at the rear bottom of the front fenders.

TLK

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canton, GA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Kekel
Member #

Service Branch
US Coast Guard
IMO if you want a rig already built where you need to nothing , then it is worth it. If you are the type of person that wants to put your own personal touch to things then I would go for the TRD. That being said the diesel option in the ZR2 is bad ass.

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

IMG_1505.jpg
This is my first truck I have been overlanding with, and I cant give you any references regarding the Chevy.. but Iam super psyched with the trd Tacoma. I got in April and slowly Iam going to add all the required weight so that I can raise the required suspension. Your best bet if you get the trd pro is add your required package and avoid all the soon to be replaced items.

Last edited:

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
The challenge compared to the Tacoma is finding aftermarket parts. They are starting to show up but are limited. It's hard to go from the stock 31" tires to 33s without rubbing but it can be done with a little clearancing work at the rear bottom of the front fenders.
I think this is where the Bison is kind of a big deal. ExPo called it a game changer and of course most laughed that statement off. I my opinion it is a game changer in that it shows Chevy is serious in this segment, which will bring aftermarket support.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Features-wise, the Colorado is probably the better vehicle.

However, According to carAndDriver, he current 5th gen 4runner is the vehicle most likely to reach 300,000 miles above all options (it is the 3rd most likely to reach 200k, the rest of which are mostly domestic full-sized trucks and SUVs). Not that they are necessarily the same vehicle or the same reliability standards apply, BUT I do think it goes to support that even modern Toyota trucks are built to last, whereas who knows with this still-pretty-new Colorado.

Reactions: Arailt

Michael Kinnett

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Muncie, IN
Member #

I own a 2013 Toyota Tacoma Limited DCLB. I would prefer a diesel, I would've preferred lockers, but so far I've done fine without. I've been on trials with 2 diesel ZR2's so far, and they both got hung up on obstacles I didn't that required them to use a locker or two while I don't even have one available. I wouldn't call it line choice or driving experience, but rather the TERRIBLE ground clearance and rear shock mounts that are clearly designed by someone who doesn't have a clue about off road driving. You can put 37's on a Chevy Tahoe but that doesn't make it a Land Cruiser or as capable as one with 33's.

If Toyota put a diesel in their Taco, Chevy would only sell to brand loyal's. If you're looking for actual capability right out of the box and reliability, I can't give it to the ZR2 at all. All of the off-road tests you can find on youtube are terribly biased in the comparisons because the TRD they're testing are on road radials vs all terrains on the ZR2 and the TRD does just as well. Oh and btw, ZR2 is a nice looking truck, the styling is very nice overall.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I own a 2013 Toyota Tacoma Limited DCLB. I would prefer a diesel, I would've preferred lockers, but so far I've done fine without. I've been on trials with 2 diesel ZR2's so far, and they both got hung up on obstacles I didn't that required them to use a locker or two while I don't even have one available. I wouldn't call it line choice or driving experience, but rather the TERRIBLE ground clearance and rear shock mounts that are clearly designed by someone who doesn't have a clue about off road driving. You can put 37's on a Chevy Tahoe but that doesn't make it a Land Cruiser or as capable as one with 33's.

If Toyota put a diesel in their Taco, Chevy would only sell to brand loyal's. If you're looking for actual capability right out of the box and reliability, I can't give it to the ZR2 at all. All of the off-road tests you can find on youtube are terribly biased in the comparisons because the TRD they're testing are on road radials vs all terrains on the ZR2 and the TRD does just as well. Oh and btw, ZR2 is a nice looking truck, the styling is very nice overall.
I don’t know about YouTube videos comparing the two, I do know the ZR2 ran the rubicon in stock form. Given your account of how terrible the Chevy is I wouldn’t think that’d be possible.

In the YouTube videos, were they comparing with both trucks on stock tires? Are you saying they intentionally put the Toyota on tires that would be detrimental?