Rank III

Enthusiast II

Rosenberg, TX, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Moser
Member #

Yea that's what i'm encountering too, prices for some of these accessories that do not get used too often puzzles me as to the direction I want to go.

Cobblecrazy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno
Yea that's what i'm encountering too, prices for some of these accessories that do not get used too often puzzles me as to the direction I want to go.
I actually thought about a work rack. there are some that are specifically designed to fit around a shell - even fitting up a little more snug to the shell. Costs were in the $200-$600 range, and they can be modified to utilize quite a few things. Any weight on the rack is transferred down to the sides of the truck bed and not the fiberglass shell. At least an option to consider...

Here is a pic of rack and a shell with similar windoors like mine.

over-topper-ladder-rack-pick-up-truck-camper-thoughts-leer-truck-topper-racks-under-topper-ladder-rack by cobblecrazy, on Flickr

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Awesome.. I'm surprised I didn't see this sooner.. You and I have very similarly built rigs.. I love what you've done..Mine is a 2016 dc.. I have a Decked system, 275 Cooper ST Maxx tires on 18" American Outlaw "Hollywood" wheels, Bilstein shocks with the front leveled. I had the bed, front and rear bumper ends and grill LineXd. I originally thought about a CanBak topper until they raised their prices waaay too high. Then I was going to go with a Softopper but didn't like how they don't have full coverage against the back of the cab and seemed loosely fitting. Soo, I ended up building my own bed topper frame and had an Amish man sew up the canvas cover to what I wanted to have.. I then built outer racking to mount on the sides for some Rotopax containers, and another frame for above the top to mount a roof basket. This spring I will have an attachment for our shower on one side and an awning on the other..I'm using 2 Alps Mountaineering self inflating base mats to sleep on. Last year we had 1 dog going with us. Since the beginning of Nov we adopted another rescue. So now we have 2 large dogs I need to figure out comfort for along with my wife and I. AND, if I'm not working too much ot and my joints don't give me issues, I also trail run, mountain bike, snow shoe, hike, etc. I guess I should start my own build thread..

Last edited:
Reactions: Slo4x4

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Awesome.. I'm surprised I didn't see this sooner.. You and I have very similarly built rigs.. I love what you've done..Mine is a 2016 dc.. I have a Decked system, 275 Cooper ST Maxx tires on 18" American Outlaw "Hollywood" wheels, Bilstein shocks with the front leveled. I had the bed, front and rear bumper ends and grill LineXd. I originally thought about a CanBak topper until they raised their prices waaay too high. Then I was going to go with a Softopper but didn't like how they don't have full coverage against the back of the cab and seemed loosely fitting. Soo, I ended up building my own bed topper frame and had an Amish man sew up the canvas cover to what I wanted to have.. I then built outer racking to mount on the sides for some Rotopax containers, and another frame for above the top to mount a roof basket. This spring I will have an attachment for our shower on one side and an awning on the other..I'm using 2 Alps Mountaineering self inflating base mats to sleep on. Last year we had 1 dog going with us. Since the beginning of Nov we adopted another rescue. So now we have 2 large dogs I need to figure out comfort for along with my wife and I. AND, if I'm not working too much ot and my joints don't give me issues, I also trail run, mountain bike, snow shoe, hike, etc. I guess I should start my own build thread..
We have 2 full size dogs along for the journey in my 14 DC as well. I removed the entire rear seat and made a raised dog bed platform with storage underneath, and storage along the back firewall. I have no need for the rear seats so it works perfectly for us.

Reactions: Wallygator

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

We have 2 full size dogs along for the journey in my 14 DC as well. I removed the entire rear seat and made a raised dog bed platform with storage underneath, and storage along the back firewall. I have no need for the rear seats so it works perfectly for us.
That's exactly what I had planned on doing last summer.. It'd definitely let them be more comfortable on hours long rides.. I already have the storage bin under the seat. I just need to remove the seat bottom and back.. Did you insulate the cab backwall with anything?

Cobblecrazy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno
We've got a dog as well, and certainly one of the considerations in each of the builds we've done is a place for her to ride. While there are many ways to take your dog along we prefer to have her inside the cab with us, but I also like to have a little larger place for her to lounge if the need arises.

I purchased an Orvis "hammock" that has a partial zipper in the center. The hammock attaches to the front and rear headrests, and the center portion allows for her to rest her head on the center console if she wanted.

IMG_8449 by cobblecrazy, on Flickr

We put her Orvis dog bed on the hammock as she seems to be more relaxed than just on the hammock alone.

IMG_8451 by cobblecrazy, on Flickr

The floorboard area between the front and the rear seats is perfect for personal items, or for a soft sided ice chest.

IMG_8459 by cobblecrazy, on Flickr

If we have more than two people riding in the back, I can move the hammock and bed into the rear shell and she can ride there. We can open the cab/shell slider windows if she wants to poke her head inside for a quick pet. Also, we can set her up in the shell if we have to leave her in the truck and it might be a little too warm inside the cab. The shell, or the cab slider windows are great for ventilation because I can open them completely without the possibility of someone being able to get in through either one.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

That's exactly what I had planned on doing last summer.. It'd definitely let them be more comfortable on hours long rides.. I already have the storage bin under the seat. I just need to remove the seat bottom and back.. Did you insulate the cab backwall with anything?
I didn't bother insulating the back wall. The cabinet has a wooden back wall, and I don't notice any heat (or cooling) loss or greater noise at all. 20190210_041211.jpeg

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I didn't bother insulating the back wall. The cabinet has a wooden back wall, and I don't notice any heat (or cooling) loss or greater noise at all. View attachment 85443

That cabinet, you built it? I like that.. Its a good place to store items for the dogs so that's the "known" place every time you head out.. I like that..

@Cobblecrazy, I too have a similar hammock. We've opted to not attach to the front head rests though. The option is there though. I'm really liking how trikebubble did his..Thats what I need to do.

When I did my bed cover, I didn't make the flex window openable. Wish I would've so I could have a pass through to inside the cab..

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

That cabinet, you built it? I like that.. Its a good place to store items for the dogs so that's the "known" place every time you head out.. I like that..
Yes, it took a while but I built it. We store extra pantry items in one side of the upper cabinet and I store my compressor line, power cords, first aid kit and stuff in the other. I keep all my tools on one side under the dog bed platform, and other recovery stuff, axe, saw, jacks, blocks, rubber boots etc under the other. The dog bed platform has hinged lids that open up, but I left the sides open on purpose. This way I can access important stuff without having to remove the dogs and beds. I also built a padded long section in the upper cabinet to store my shotgun. The whole thing is in 2 pieces and is bolted in using the rear seat attachment points.

Cobblecrazy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno
I use my rear seats too often to go with a platform, but I really like the ones people come up with. I wish my Tundra back seat was like my Tacoma. They both have the under seat storage, but I like the way you access the empty/storage area behind the seat in the Tacoma, and the back of the seat would fold down to create a nice platform for the dog bed without having to remove the seat and build one. You can stuff things behind the seat in the Tundra, but there is still a lot of unused area back there. The way the Tundra seats folds up is good and bad. The good - if you have the floorboard area filled with stuff, you don't have to remove it to access the under seat storage. The bad - the "platform" that you could get with folding down the back of the seat in the Tacoma is now gone. Still prefer my Tundra to my Tacoma...

I've run the hammock both ways, clipped to the headrest and not. The issue we had was when not clipped she would often slide forward and then get stuck down in the space between the front and rear seats. She also likes to rest her head on the center console so unless there's something under her she couldn't do that. She's about 85 lbs. so the seat is a little narrow for her as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scout

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Tires and wheels were next.

I had my mind set on the Method NV from the beginning. In the last two builds (a Tacoma and a 4Runner) I used the MB 352 that I got at Discount Tires. They are similar to the NV in design, at about a $70 a wheel savings, and just slightly lower weight rating per wheel. I was happy with the MB's, but I had the extra money allotted so I decided to go with he Methods (and I got a "package" deal that lowered the cost a little).

IMG_7789 by cobblecrazy, on Flickr

Now we come to the tires. I must have gone through hundreds of images, as well as, I strolled through isles of tire racks trying to come up with what I wanted. I knew I didn't want a MT for a variety of reasons, but I also knew some of the ATs didn't have the "bite" I was looking for either. I've used the BFG AT2 like everyone else, and I've had success with them, but I haven't always been excited on how they wear over time on at least one of my vehicles. I had a set of Goodyear Duratracs on my Tacoma, and I was very pleased with their performance. They seemed to fall into that "Hybrid" style similar to the Toyo Open Country R/T (one of the options I considered).

Having finalized the brand/style, I now had to figure out the size. I did not want to look like a monster truck, and I also didn't want the truck to look like it was driving around on skateboard wheels. I wasn't apposed to doing a little plastic or sheet metal trimming, but I wasn't interested in doing the body mount chop (I had done it on my Tacoma). The problem is trying to come up with what will fit based on how much of a lift you are going to do.

I knew I was going with a 2'-3" lift so I decided on the 275/70/18. Basically a 33" tire with the same width as the stock. I knew I would be going with the Icon system - specifically a 2.5 coilover in the front and a 2.0 with remote res in back. This coupled with an OME Dakar leaf pack (with the extra leaf).

IMG_7820 by cobblecrazy, on Flickr

IMG_7821 by cobblecrazy, on Flickr

IMG_7822 by cobblecrazy, on Flickr

IMG_7804 by cobblecrazy, on Flickr

I wanted to have the tires/wheels on at the time the lift was installed as I also knew the alignment would be better (confirmed through a variety of sources).

Do you recall the part # and price for the OME leaf springs..I've been wanting to get new leafs but haven't decided which. I don't want to lift the rear of the truck and have it look too much without weight in the bed..My stock ones look pretty flat without much weight in the bed.. I'm around 45,xxx miles on the odo..

Cobblecrazy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno
Do you recall the part # and price for the OME leaf springs..I've been wanting to get new leafs but haven't decided which. I don't want to lift the rear of the truck and have it look too much without weight in the bed..My stock ones look pretty flat without much weight in the bed.. I'm around 45,xxx miles on the odo..
Don't know the part number, but the OME Dakar leaf spring is listed at about $540 and the extra leaf about $90 extra. I got a little break on the price since I bundled it with a host of parts. Depending on what you want to do, and how much weight you're going to carry, I might opt just for the OME leaf without the extra leaf. From my experiences with my Tacoma, and what we were planning to do with the truck, I knew I wanted the extra leaf to handle weight and keep as close to that factory rake as possible.

I went with a local company - Custom Truck Accessories - but when I did my Tacoma I purchased the springs/extra leaf and the shocks from Wheeler's Offroad website.

Hope this helps.

northwood

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Crosslake, MN, USA
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Heisler
Member #

Thanks for posting your thought and build process. I just came across this thread after coming to the conclusion that the Tacoma just might not be the right platform for what I want. Lo and behold, this all echoes my plans. Camp in the back, 2 adults 2 large dogs, bring the mountain bikes, etc. and be able to handle any towing needs that may arise. I didn't think I wanted a full-size, but here we are. So I am looking for a Tundra now with a 6' foot bed. I am in Minnesota and am thinking of contacting a local company, TopperEZLift for converting the shell into a tent.

Death-Valley-5-Back-Up-Half-Open.jpg

Last edited:

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Don't know the part number, but the OME Dakar leaf spring is listed at about $540 and the extra leaf about $90 extra. I got a little break on the price since I bundled it with a host of parts. Depending on what you want to do, and how much weight you're going to carry, I might opt just for the OME leaf without the extra leaf. From my experiences with my Tacoma, and what we were planning to do with the truck, I knew I wanted the extra leaf to handle weight and keep as close to that factory rake as possible.

I went with a local company - Custom Truck Accessories - but when I did my Tacoma I purchased the springs/extra leaf and the shocks from Wheeler's Offroad website.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.. Just ordered a set of Icon RTX leafs and an SSO front slimline bumper..

Reactions: Cobblecrazy

Cobblecrazy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno
I placed an order for some running boards. Not a huge fan of them in the past. I've not ventured down the path of the true rock rails as this is my daily driver, and I just don't see banging my truck over giant rocks or bolder fields. Don't get me wrong, the truck sees it's share of backcountry travel, I've just set a limit as to what "abuse" I'm willing to subject it to. That being said I had a recent discussion with a family member who added a set of beefy running boards and within a week he struck a rock while doing some basic off road driving. The running boards saved the side of his truck from certain damage with no sign of denting or issues to the running boards. And add to that, we seem to have been venturing out with passengers of various ages who see getting into the truck a "challenge" to say the least.

I'm well aware of the advantages of getting something that bolts directly to the frame, and there are some great options out there, but for my application I think this is the best option - for now.

I've seen the Tyger Auto ones in person, read a variety of reviews, and I've watched various Youtube videos of them being installed. Everyone seemed to rave about them. I've had them in my Amazon cart about 10 times, but never seemed to do the order. At about $280, I finally figured they were worth taking the chance.

F96539 by cobblecrazy, on Flickr

The only other ones I have considered is the N-Fab RKR rails with removable steps, but I liked the larger "step" area of the Tyger Auto ones. I saw one installation video where the RKR had an additional fixed flair out/step just in front of the wheel well (they call it a bed step), but I couldn't find it as an option on some of the places where you could order the system.

The Tyger Auto ones should be here at the beginning of the week, and I'll be able to get them installed. Give it a few weeks and I should be able to give at least a fair first impression...

Last edited:

Cobblecrazy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno
Thanks for posting your thought and build process. I just came across this thread after coming to the conclusion that the Tacoma just might not be the right platform for what I want. Lo and behold, this all echoes my plans. Camp in the back, 2 adults 2 large dogs, bring the mountain bikes, etc. and be able to handle any towing needs that may arise. I didn't think I wanted a full-size, but here we are. So I am looking for a Tundra now with a 6' foot bed. I am in Minnesota and am thinking of contacting a local company, TopperEZLift for converting the shell into a tent.

View attachment 108781
I looked at these as well, and I really liked what they had to offer. I had a few questions on them though. The first was the lift mechanism. I'm sure it's battle tested and all, but it always seems that when you go with moving parts it seems as they always fail at the most inopportune time. ARE is a great company and I'm sure it would be fixed quickly, but just something that would gnaw at me. The second was the seal. It seemed to me the more you moved it up and down the less of a tight seal you would get.

The Leer 180 (or ARE equivalent) gives a little more headroom than my 100 series, but I liked the flush cab/shell look and it still gives me a little headroom to sit up in the morning.

I decided on the DAC truck shell tent enclosure. I've used them on my Tacoma and my 4Runner (they have two models). While not the end all-beat all, it's got a simple bungie system, and it's easily stowed in my Decked drawer. A hiking pole, or other similar piece, keeps the upper hatch from closing with the added weight of the tent material. When the tailgate is down I can put my Yeti there for the night as well as my boots or other things I don't want to leave outside, but I also don't want in my sleeping area. That area is also a great place for the dog/dog bed if there are two people sleeping in the shell. About $130 or so.

This is from a google image search as I didn't have one with my truck, but it gives a good representation of how they fit.

IMG_0377 by cobblecrazy, on Flickr

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I placed an order for some running boards. Not a huge fan of them in the past. I've not ventured down the path of the true rock rails as this is my daily driver, and I just don't see banging my truck over giant rocks or bolder fields. Don't get me wrong, the truck sees it's share of backcountry travel, I've just set a limit as to what "abuse" I'm willing to subject it to. That being said I had a recent discussion with a family member who added a set of beefy running boards and within a week he struck a rock while doing some basic off road driving. The running boards saved the side of his truck from certain damage with no sign of denting or issues to the running boards. And add to that, we seem to have been venturing out with passengers of various ages who see getting into the truck a "challenge" to say the least.

I'm well aware of the advantages of getting something that bolts directly to the frame, and there are some great options out there, but for my application I think this is the best option - for now.

I've seen the Tyger Auto ones in person, read a variety of reviews, and I've watched various Youtube videos of them being installed. Everyone seemed to rave about them. I've had them in my Amazon cart about 10 times, but never seemed to do the order. At about $280, I finally figured they were worth taking the chance.

F96539 by cobblecrazy, on Flickr

The only other ones I have considered is the N-Fab RKR rails with removable steps, but I liked the larger "step" area of the Tyger Auto ones. I saw one installation video where the RKR had an additional fixed flair out/step just in front of the wheel well (they call it a bed step), but I couldn't find it as an option on some of the places where you could order the system.

The Tyger Auto ones should be here at the beginning of the week, and I'll be able to get them installed. Give it a few weeks and I should be able to give at least a fair first impression...

I bought and installed these also. I only had 1 issue with the installation. As others in the reviews stated, I had a hard time installing 1 bolt. The 2nd one from the front on the driver side. I had to open the hole a bit with a reamer and then the mounting "pad" would not lay flat against the mounting hole on the body.. With a little finessing with a hammer, it saw things my way..lol It may be a pain to install them alone. You may want to use a floor jack and/or jack stands to assist on 1 end. It took me about an hour and a half to install. Even with the extra bit of work..

I really like them. As does my elderly mother and my 2 dogs..haha. I did a little "rock crawling", river crossing, and night time lone travelling of the Canaan Loop in WV a few weekends ago.. I hit hard a few times and these bars saved the bottoms of my rockers on the Tundra. As it sets right now, the very rear of the driver side bar is about 1/16" away from the bottom of the rocker. If the bar wasn't there, who knows what the cab corner would look like..This pic was exiting Flagpole Knob..

Attachments

Cobblecrazy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno
So...I've been toying with the idea of going a different direction on the front bumper. No issues with the Southern Style bumper, but looking at something with a little more protection. A few "close calls", and some friends who have had too close encounters, has me thinking. When I did my Tacoma build, I went with a Relentless Fabrication full protection bumper, and I was very happy with the results.

Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 8.56.39 PM.png

Unfortunately it doesn't look like they do the same style bumper for the Tundra. Doing some research, I found only a few bumpers that had this same bar configuration. Several of the "mid" height bumper bars said there would be a conflict with the front sensor, and some did not include holes for the stock sensors. The ones with the low bar didn't really do much more than the SSO bumper I already had so, although I really like some of them, I kind of ruled them out.

I had always liked the ARB bumper. I've seen them in person, and in countless photos. Most detractors state the bumper is "too big", but when put side by side to others with similar designs it really is just about the same. The safety standards the company goes through in their design appear to be top notch, and the fact the bumpers seem to outlast some of the vehicles they've been put on attests to their build quality.

I took one of the side profile photos of my truck and a photo I found of the ARB bumper and did a little photoshopping to see how it might look. Here's what I came up with...

Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 8.16.41 PM.png

Curious what others think.

Attachments

Last edited: