Rank II

Enthusiast II

Saint Helens, Columbia County, Oregon, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Dillon
Hey yall.
Ive enjoyed being a forum member for many years but that forum went belly up. Im back in the 4wd game with a 2018 tacoma, with a mild build started on it. Decided to get back into the forum game and see if I can make some like minded friends. Ill post up where i started, and where the build is so far. My wife and I are expecting our first child in march, so the build will be a work in progress. But I am excited and so is she. (For the baby and the awesome experiences in overlanding) I am so excited to bring up my child on exploration, conservation, and experiences.

My truck is a 2018 tacoma. Just at 72k miles. Started with a roof top tent and a rack to make camping easier set up and a little more fun. We recently did our first "overland" trip. Even though it wasnt offroad at all, it was a bucket list trip in Oregon.

I look forward to meeting some new people in the NW and going on some amazing adventures, while raising a baby and having a full time job. I might be a weekend warrior for a few years, but dont be fooled. My heart is in the back country.

Attachments

John_Dillon

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
John
Last Name
Dillon
Here is a little photo dump. Purchased the truck at 67k miles. Took it offroad bwfore i got my plates. Our first overland trip was to crater lake national park, and many state parks. Did 900 miles in 4 days. Celebrated our anniversary, her birthday, my birthday and the knowledge of our first born on the way.
Started a little patch spot on the headliner of some of the places we visited. I can do a seperate write up of the trip, because it was really awesome. But basically, hood river, mt hood, eastern oregon, crater lake, up 101 and home(portland area ish) about 900 miles. Other than a racoon incident in one camp sight, my wife loved the experience and is excited to do it again.

Attachments

Reactions: John Levers

John_Dillon

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
John
Last Name
Dillon
Sounds like your trip was awesome and it’s great to see some others from the pnw on here, can’t wait to watch your build progress
Honestly it was a giant roadtrip, but ill call it overlanding.. haha we camped the whole way and really enjoyed it alot.
Cool to see others in the pnw too. Would love to meet some new people and get back into the offroad hobby again!
I started with xj's, then got a TJ, so ive been a jeep guy, but the taco seems to fit my mission right now the best so im excited to build it out.

In the future, i need to work on recovery gear and armor i dont plan on doing crazy browns camp trails, but id like my truck to be as capable as it can reasonably be.
For this season, getting the camping setup dialed will be my main goal.

Reactions: Brad_b59c17

Brad_b59c17

Rank V

Advocate III

Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Sounds like your trip was awesome and it’s great to see some others from the pnw on here, can’t wait to watch your build progress
Honestly it was a giant roadtrip, but ill call it overlanding.. haha we camped the whole way and really enjoyed it alot.
Cool to see others in the pnw too. Would love to meet some new people and get back into the offroad hobby again!
I started with xj's, then got a TJ, so ive been a jeep guy, but the taco seems to fit my mission right now the best so im excited to build it out.

In the future, i need to work on recovery gear and armor i dont plan on doing crazy browns camp trails, but id like my truck to be as capable as it can reasonably be.
Sounds like we are in the same boat lol, I’ve had Tj’s for years, and I jousted to wheel a lot in your neck of the woods at bunker hill, but got a family and needed something bigger so the Tacoma seems perfect. I’ve had to control myself though because all my jeeps were heavily built and I’m trying to pace myself with the taco

John_Dillon

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
John
Last Name
Dillon

Sounds like we are in the same boat lol, I’ve had Tj’s for years, and I jousted to wheel a lot in your neck of the woods at bunker hill, but got a family and needed something bigger so the Tacoma seems perfect. I’ve had to control myself though because all my jeeps were heavily built and I’m trying to pace myself with the taco
Yessss. My TJ wasnt super built. But it was pretty capable for what it was. It could wheel harder than I wanted to thats for sure. Decided that I should give wheeling a break while i was perched upright on my back bumper waiting for somebody to come pull my winch and set me back down haha daily driving a wheeler is rough some times lol

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Patches are the most important thing. The hell with suspension, tires and the like. You need patches. LOL
That truck is extremely capable. Do what you're doing right now, and drive it like you own it.
Zim

Reactions: John_Dillon

John_Dillon

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
John
Last Name
Dillon
Haha had to start the patches early!

Ok. Here is a question for you tacoma guys... are these things worth the annoyance? I guess i could see how the bed could potentially spread with my setup. But is that an actual concern?

The truck came with them installed and I initially took them out not knowing what they were. But now i put a rack and a tent on, im wondering if I need them?

At worst Its cheap insurance against the damage, because i didnt buy them

Attachments

Last edited:

Brad_b59c17

Rank V

Advocate III

Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ok. Here is a question for you tacoma guys... are these things worth the annoyance? I guess i cpuld see how the bed could potentially spread with my setup. But is that an actual concern?

The truck came with them installed and I initially took them out not knowing what they were. But now i put a rack and a tent on, im wondering if I need them?

At worst Its cheap insurance against the damage, because i sidnt buy them
With the rack and tent it’s definitely worth it, since the majority of your bed is fiberglass weight is a concern. The more weight you have above the bed rails the more important they become

John_Dillon

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
John
Last Name
Dillon
Evening yall!
Hope you had great weekends.

This weekend we did our second trip in the new setup. We met some friends at the coast to hang out for the weekend. Tent did awesome. Used a self inflating air mattress to make the bed more comfortable and it worked perfect. Deflated, it stays stored inside the tent when folded up. Super convenient. Cooking duties were handled by the friends RV/cook setup this weekend. We were just crashing their site. So no kitchen setup pics this week.

Awesome weekend and good second trip in the tent. So far no complaints!

I am working on designing a set of bed drawers that will be custom built to house the kitchen and recovery gear. Still a design in progress, but the more ilI use it, the more i refine what I want out of this setup.

I decided not to drive on the beach this time due to extremely soft(hot) sand, and lack of recovery gear. But hopefully we will be down on the beach soon enough.

I ordered some mounts for shovel and an axe for my rack. Here in oregon, burn season requires carrying a shovel,axe, and fire extinguisher or water. So those are things i want to perminitally include in the truck.

Ill update with photos of the mounts this week installed!

Attachments

Reactions: Dougnuts

John_Dillon

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
John
Last Name
Dillon
I know some people think its kind of foofoo to add, but its utility for me. Added some shovel mounts, and some fire extingiushers. Having had 1 car fire myself, fire supression is important to me.

They work in their spots. I dont know if that will be their forever home, but im happy for now. Need to buy an axe to keep onboard.

Next project is going to be a low mounted water tank as big as I can fit. Hoping to pressurize it. Also wanting to add onboard air while im at it. Showers, dishes, and just general water usage is good to have while on the road. The air for pressurizing the tank, and airing up after a trail

Thoughts?

Attachments

John_Dillon

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
John
Last Name
Dillon
Hunting season is here in oregon, and i am extited to get out and see what the setup can do.
I am continuing to work on the rig. Purchased some lights im hoping to use as work/camp lights. Had to get a switch system for that as well. Went with the auxbeam 8gang setup. Got the switch box and circuit breaker installed tonight, and ill work on the switch panel, and light wiring tomorrow night. Ran out of daylight after work tonight.

Excited for the build. Its coming along really nicely. Focusing on utility type things right now that fix an issue i have. And lighting at camp is one thing i wanted to fix quickly. Still need to work on a shower/potable water setup. But thats planning phase still.

Other things to come is a custom built drawer setup. I have been mulling this over for a bit and i think i have a few ideas to make it very usefull.

Thats all for this evening. Check back soon!

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)

Ok. Here is a question for you tacoma guys... are these things worth the annoyance? I guess i could see how the bed could potentially spread with my setup. But is that an actual concern?

Yeah the bed will move and stay moved. I had a home built cap and no brace. Sold the truck with a little larger gap on the driver side. Mine was a 19
Zim
IMG-1433.JPG

John_Dillon

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
John
Last Name
Dillon
Put some more work in on the switch panel and light setup tonight. My brackets didnt come so i had to settle for temp install on the light. I am really happy with the install pn the switch panel. The app is super useful too. I chose to wire my panel hot so i can use my lights when my truck is off. I invision using them mostly as an emergency on in the middle of the night in case of something weird happening. But sparing use in other cases may happen.

I think i would like to install 2 lights per side as this little light doesnt quite have enough lateral throw for my liking. But output seems to be great for what I want them for.

Attachments

Reactions: eroyar23

John_Dillon

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
John
Last Name
Dillon
nice build. i just got that same tent how do you like it so far? what mattress did you go with?
I really like the tent so far. Having a minor issue with condensation. I have found its best to leave the tops of the side doors slightly open to help vent. The mattress it comes with is junk. I tossed an air mattress we had in it. Its a king camp double self inflating. I deflate it and leave it inside the tent during storage. Works great and in my opinion is comfortable too.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: eroyar23

John_Dillon

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
John
Last Name
Dillon
Its been little bit since I updated. Added a few more work lights. I really like the low draw work lights for camp use and security. 2 on each side and one on the aft end. Each side is idepently switchable so I do not spread more light than i need. (Drivers, passenger and back) i like being able to switch lights depending on where/how I am parked.
Also added amber ditch lights.

It may become more apparent as this thread grows, but I am a hoe for lights. I love being able to hit a switch and see. Using the auxbeam module, i can switch all my lights via an app. Which is a cool security feature when your inside your tent(or truck in bed) depending on your setup. If you select them all on, you can use an "all on memory
" function to switch all on that you had on when the memory button is pressed. So turn on all your work lights before bed then use the one switch to shut them all off. In the off chance you need something in the middle of he night, one button to turn them all on again.

I like the forward ditch lights but i think the forward lighting can be improved by a bumper light bar or the like. Not sure yet.
Thoughts?

Attachments

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

When I put my small RTT (Tepui Ayer 2 @ 97lbs) on my bed, I started to see spread. It was making it hard to get my tailgate to work properly.

I put stiffeners on, the spread is gone, and the gate is great.

Could just be my setup, though.