TMB725

Rank II

Enthusiast II

New Mexico
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Becker
Last year I decided to trade my 2017 F250 on 37’s and a full Carli Suspension for something a little smaller and more “Nimble”. I found a great deal on a used 2018 F150 Raptor (802a package) it had some minor cosmetic upgrades in wheels/Tires and some extra lighting upfront, otherwise it was bone stock with no real signs of off road use or abuse.

when I picked it up I immediately knew I wanted to start an overland build on it. I began about 6 months of researching, planning and collecting parts and have been able to make great use of them over the last few months.

currently build sits as follows:
35” BFG AT2 with Icon Leaf springs in the rear and Icon Collars up front. Rest of suspension is stock.
leitner designs bed rack With 2x small gear pods holding air and recovery equipment. Rotopax with fuel and water and MaxTrax
Decked drawers system holding all camp kitchen essentials and misc camping essentials including chairs
FSR high Country 80 RTT

additions in the future:
270 awning
Rock sliders
Fridge
Solar to charge lithium battery pack for fridge
Hidden winch
Icon stage 4 components for suspension

so far I am loving taking this set up out over my old 30’ trailer I pulled with my F250. 5CD9F355-CF40-4E57-843C-E65F6A87242A.jpeg

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Last year I decided to trade my 2017 F250 on 37’s and a full Carli Suspension for something a little smaller and more “Nimble”. I found a great deal on a used 2018 F150 Raptor (802a package) it had some minor cosmetic upgrades in wheels/Tires and some extra lighting upfront, otherwise it was bone stock with no real signs of off road use or abuse.

when I picked it up I immediately knew I wanted to start an overland build on it. I began about 6 months of researching, planning and collecting parts and have been able to make great use of them over the last few months.

35” BFG AT2 with Icon Leaf springs in the rear and Icon Collars up front. Rest of suspension is stock.
leitner designs bed rack With 2x small gear pods holding air and recovery equipment. Rotopax with fuel and water and MaxTrax
Decked drawers system holding all camp kitchen essentials and misc camping essentials including chairs
FSR high Country 80 RTT

additions in the future:
270 awning
Rock sliders
Fridge
Hidden winch

so far I am loving taking this set up out over my old 30’ trailer I pulled with my F250. View attachment 161486
Looking good so far!

Reactions: Schnell_958

TMB725

Rank II

Enthusiast II

New Mexico
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Becker
That’s cute. I’m just messing with you lol. I can’t trade it because we have horses that need to be moved on goosenecks. What Carli set up did you have on your SD?
it is Cute lol, until I follow a buddy in a jeep down a 2 track and then it shows just how wide it is!

I had a 2.5” pin top with LCA’s and full Seaver leaf springs and airbags in daystar cups, paired with Method wheels and 37x12.5 Toyo RT’s.
If I did it again I would have gone a full backcountry 4.5” with all the options!

Ncat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Corona, CA, USA
First Name
N
Last Name
Cat
Member #

Sw

FSR high Country 80 RTT

additions in the future:
270 awning
Rock sliders
Fridge
Hidden winch

so far I am loving taking this set up out over my old 30’ trailer I pulled with my F250. View attachment 161486
Sweet rig man !

Kendv8s

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

SoCal
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Nice build! I just picked up a 2020 Raptor and will be building it up similar to yours. Leitner rack has been ordered and gear pods will house the compressor and essential gear.

Question...do you use the pod to store your compressor or did you wire it in-place in the pod? I picked up an ARB dual and was going to hardwire it into the pod.

2nd question...I'm doing the same "basic" suspension mods as you have now from Icon. How has it affected the ride?

Reactions: SS308

TMB725

Rank II

Enthusiast II

New Mexico
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Becker
Nice build! I just picked up a 2020 Raptor and will be building it up similar to yours. Leitner rack has been ordered and gear pods will house the compressor and essential gear.

Question...do you use the pod to store your compressor or did you wire it in-place in the pod? I picked up an ARB dual and was going to hardwire it into the pod.

2nd question...I'm doing the same "basic" suspension mods as you have now from Icon. How has it affected the ride?
Thanks! The leitner rack is awesome! Did you get the forged or standard ACS?

I have a viair pump that is not mounted just stored. Down the road I would like to get an ARB twin and mount it. Share pics if you get it set up!
My next investment is going to be a Jackery in one of the cubes and some quick connects on the back/bottom for my fridge, solar etc...

I do not notice any real change in ride except for height. I had to use the raptor as a truck last weekend and it took about 20 mins to remove everything including the tent. Spent the week driving it “stripped” and the icon rears did recover a bit and give raise the rear but the ride was great! One thing to note is I do not have the live valve shocks that are on the 2020’s.

Would love to see pics/share ideas as you set up your Raptor. Not too many of them being built for Overlanding or at least not too many that I have seen!

Kendv8s

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

SoCal
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I ordered the classic.

I used a Viair with my Tacoma build. I eventually mounted it inside the cab and ran cable to my SPOD. I got tired of opening my hood every time I wanted to air up. The plan is to mount the ARB twin in a pod and wire it to an auxiliary switch or a switch in the pod. I also have some scene lights to mount when the rack comes in.

Good to know on the ride. I put an Icon leaf pack on my Tacoma to support the weight. It rides amazing. I know I'll need to do the same on the Raptor due to all the "stuff" I carry.

I'll get some pics up once the "build" starts. You're right that there aren't many Raptor Overland builds out there. It seems like the perfect platform with the interior space, power and off-road capability.

Reactions: Jaytperry89

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Id totally agree with that last statement, lol but I'm a little biased haha. When I started with my raptor I knew I wanted to explore and see new things. Overlanding helps me accomplish that goal. And it hasnt disappointed me yet. The only complaint is not being able to squeeze through some of the fallen trees everyone has cut just wide enough for their jeep to fit. And that happens alot in the cascades lol. I like your set up, that rack is pretty sweet. Along with that massive tent lol.

SS308

Rank V

Advocate I

Cheyenne, WY, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7QFH
Service Branch
USMC
I have a 2012 Raptor that I'm building for "overlanding". Purchased a Tepui RTT and awning and I'm presently fabricating my bed rack.
Put Geiser springs in the front and have Deaver Springs on the way for the rear.
Love the pics and will be following for ideas.

Attachments

TMB725

Rank II

Enthusiast II

New Mexico
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Becker
I have a 2012 Raptor that I'm building for "overlanding". Purchased a Tepui RTT and awning and I'm presently fabricating my bed rack.
Put Geiser springs in the front and have Deaver Springs on the way for the rear.
Love the pics and will be following for ideas.
I miss my Gen 1 raptor! That is a good looking truck!

TMB725

Rank II

Enthusiast II

New Mexico
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Becker
I figure I should update this build thread:

1.Had a local fabricator make me a set of bolt on Rock sliders.
2. added a Midland MTX275 for Comms.
3. scored an amazing deal on a lightly used ARB fridge and a DFG tilt slide with power run to the bed.
4. Waiting on a rhino rack 270 awning to be delivered this week.

next up is updating suspension as the shocks are going to need a rebuild soon.

Attachments

BigH2OChief

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Carmel Mountain Ranch, San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Woody
Member #

Service Branch
US Army / US Navy
Excellent looking through these posts and confirming I’m not the only one using a Raptor as an overland platform. I have a 13’ Gen1 and love having that V8 power when I need it. I’ll be following you all closely.

SS308

Rank V

Advocate I

Cheyenne, WY, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7QFH
Service Branch
USMC
I figure I should update this build thread:

1.Had a local fabricator make me a set of bolt on Rock sliders.
2. added a Midland MTX275 for Comms.
3. scored an amazing deal on a lightly used ARB fridge and a DFG tilt slide with power run to the bed.
4. Waiting on a rhino rack 270 awning to be delivered this week.

next up is updating suspension as the shocks are going to need a rebuild soon.
Like to see how you mount your awning (I have not mounted mine yet). Looking for ideas...

When you get ready to have your shocks done, call Shocks by Hammer, Brian Diede (605-354-2126). Certified Fox dealer/repair. He rebuilt mine and installed my Geiser coils for my front shocks. Did an awesome job!

Last edited:

SS308

Rank V

Advocate I

Cheyenne, WY, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7QFH
Service Branch
USMC
Any new updates? Did you receive your awning and get it installed yet?

TMB725

Rank II

Enthusiast II

New Mexico
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Becker
Any new updates? Did you receive your awning and get it installed yet?
Sorry for the slow reply, been super busy at work!

I did get the awning mounted but not the rhino rack as the shipping got messed up and delays due to Covid. I was able to get a 23Zero 270 from CB Adventure supply (amazing company to order from) I used the supplied mounts from 23Zero (which are super stout I might add) and some left over Leitner hardware.
Additionally, I scored a smoking deal on an iKamper Skycamp 2.0 from a buddy that upgraded to an AT Habitat, so I upgraded my RTT.

next up I think I am going to try and tackle a power management system and mount a 100AH lithium battery with solar and dc to dc charging in the bed.

Here are a couple pics from our last trip! 8DCDD0C8-F1E0-413E-A05A-740E536ADAA2.jpeg179AD46F-4F9B-4A36-AA62-4974474D8650.jpeg

SS308

Rank V

Advocate I

Cheyenne, WY, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7QFH
Service Branch
USMC
Sweet! At least you’re progressing. Between my work and my son-in-laws work, progress has been painfully slow. If you don’t mind I’d like to post just one here, since you are our Raptor Guru...
Kinda make it our little Raptor Over Landing thread.

Last edited: