2018 Ram Rebel Overland Build

• HTML tutorial

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

Very nice use of the Ram Boxes, that's a no brainer location for the air compressor. Still trying to figure out where I am going to mount mine, odds are it'll end up under the hood like most.

I love where this build is going, you're well on your way to having the coolest, best outfitted Rebel on the interwebs.

Reactions: DVC

DVC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hackettstown, NJ
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
R
Member #

A few new additions to the truck...

White Knuckle Off-Road Rock Sliders - I got these mounted on the truck last Friday, and they proved essential while off-roading at AOAA last Sunday. They bolt to the frame, so they're very solid (you can use them as a jack point); the extensions work great as side steps, and at helping to deflect obstacles from the bottom of the chassis; and I think they actually look great on the truck.

Dethloff Mfg Expedition Rack - Dethloff was kind enough to revise their existing Rambox-compatible rack design to fit short bed Rams. I've been working with him to get all the required dimensions, angles and specs for quite a while, and at long last the rack arrived a couple days ago. (A few days too late for the AOAA trip, but oh well). It bolts into existing holes hidden underneath the bed rail end caps - except it's recommended to drill one hole on each side at the front corners...the HDs have holes here already, but 1500s don't.

Once mounted, the rack is rock solid. And the curved bars are a nice match with the flowing lines of the truck...I really like the looks of it. It comes with two straight cross-bars (not mounted in the pic) that can be positioned anywhere along the length of the rack with roll bar-style clamps. There are optional riser bars for use when carrying long items that would stick out over the cab. Thule and Yakima rack accessories will all easily mount to the 2" cross bars.

I also worked with Dethloff on an idea I had for a low profile MaxTrax carrier that fits up between the cross bars to minimize obscuring vision out the rear view mirror...he's working on a design for that, and it should be completed soon.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

Love the sliders, I should have mine for the Power Wagon next month! Dethloff makes some nice stuff, I've been waiting for a few months now for him to get the PW engine/tranny skids back in stock for the 2014+ 6.4L Hemi.

Reactions: Ditch and DVC

dbungard

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

TN
Member #

Good build, I have a 2016 Rebel that I also am building up. It's been a great truck. I like the security bins you added, will have to check those out. I keep a compressor and other trail accessories in those floor bins. I just started a build thread too, and will also be adding the White Knuckle Sliders in a month or so.

DVC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hackettstown, NJ
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
R
Member #

Here are a few pics from Rausch Creek this summer that show the rack with the cross bars. I didn't get any good video on this trip like at AOAA in the Spring, but once again, I was really impressed at what the truck could tackle. For a full size, it's quite nimble at slithering through the trees and around tight switchbacks, and the LSD in lieu of a rear locker doesn't hold it back in the slightest. If I weren't averse to continuing to get pin striping, I wouldn't hesitate to attempt all manner of tight trails.

Once I got the rack installed, I set up a Cobra 75 CB in the cab, and a 4' Firestik non-ground plane antenna connected to the rack via a quick-release spring mount. The Cobra 75 has a tiny box that easily tucks up behind the dash, and all the controls are on the mic, which sits on a hanger that slips right between a gap in the dash panels. I primarily use the CB to communicate while on the trails or caravanning with other vehicles, but it's also entertaining to listen in on truckers while rolling down the highway... (plus I've just always felt like a pickup should have one : )

DVC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hackettstown, NJ
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
R
Member #

The next summer adventure in the truck was a family trip up to Martha's Vineyard. One of the highlights, from an overlanding perspective, was getting an OSV permit and doing some day trips through the dunes and along the beach on Chappaquiddick Island...nothing like a tailgate dinner while taking in a beach sunset!

New gear for this trip includes the 23 Zero Glenrock 16 awning...a great fit for a short bed pickup, as it's 62" wide (most are either too narrow at 4' or too wide at 6'). Also, 23 Zero is the only company I've found that will sell you a single wall for the awning (as opposed to a whole set of 3, which are usually only available for the 6' awnings)... a single wall is great for additional shade, or a wind break.

Also, just before this trip, I swapped out my 305/70-17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers (a little less that 34") for a set of D-rated 315/70-17 DuraTracs (closer to 35"). I really liked the RGs, but I wanted something a little bigger, not quite as stiff, and more designed to perform in snow (with the 3 peak symbol). So far, the DuraTracs have not disappointed.

Last edited:

DVC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hackettstown, NJ
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
R
Member #

Really nice bed rack, I wouldn’t mind seeing some pics of how it is attached to the bed???? If and when you get some time.
Thanks - it's made by Dethloff Mfg. It bolts directly to existing holes in top of the bed rails and bulkhead; the design concept is to accommodate opening/closing the Rambox compartments (nearly all other designs are not compatible with Ramboxes).
Here's a couple of pics of the mounting feet from Dethloff's website...

Last edited:

DrockinWV

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Morgantown, WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Parsley
Member #

Great looking rig! Glad to see someone else with a full size pickup in the overland community and on the east coast!

DVC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hackettstown, NJ
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
R
Member #

Here's a few pics from a couple towing excursions this summer... The first was to Summit Point Motorsports Park in West Virginia, and the second was to Watkins Glen International in New York. These were my first times towing something, so I don't have any frame of reference, but the truck seemed to me like it did really well. The trailer setups were as follows:

28' Box Trailer
- Approx. 8000-8500lbs with car loaded
- Electronic brakes
- Weight distributing hitch with anti-sway

Open Trailer
- Approx. 6000lbs with car loaded
- Hydraulic brakes
- Standard hitch

Gas mileage was pretty low with the box trailer (between 8-11mpg, depending on speed), probably more due to bad aerodynamics than weight; with the open trailer, I was doing much better at about 11-14mpg. Even with the heavier trailer, the hemi had plenty of power to get up to speed quickly. Once the gain was adjusted properly on the trailer brake controller, braking was fine with the e-brake on the box trailer; not as good with just the hydraulic brakes on the open trailer.

The box trailer was steady and straight as an arrow with the WD hitch; the open trailer with the standard hitch wasn't bad, but at highway speeds, I could feel it moving a bit with anything but slow steering inputs. I bumped my 315/70-17 DuraTracs (D- load range, 3195# @ 50psi) up to 45psi front/rear for the trip, and they were sure-footed and compliant; the rears peaked at about 49 or 50 after a coupe hours on the highway. Looking forward to the next excursion already!

Last edited:

DVC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hackettstown, NJ
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
R
Member #

I finally installed the Daystar front spacers to level the truck...they added about 2" of height with the adjustable front links set to 3.5" (center-to-center). I ended up lengthening the rear adjustable links to also raise the rear about 1/2" because I like the look of the rear being a hair higher than the front. Really happy with how she sits now. You can feel the extra ride height a bit while cornering, but the air ride still keep everything composed... and the spacers actually make for a smoother ride over bumps.
And I added 1" BORA hub-centric wheel spacers to the rear, and moved my 1/4" flat spacers from the rear to front wheels. At this point, the small amount that the tires poke out from the wheel wells is even front and rear... stance looks about perfect to my eyes.

I also finally installed my winch on the Vice Designs winch mount, and the set of 6" LED light bars on the Vice Designs mount brackets. Vice did a great job with the design and fit of this kit; everything looks OEM quality. Only suggestion for them would be to include a pair of cylindrical bushings/spacers (about an inch tall) to clearance the fairlead out in front of the bumper opening. My shop fabricated and powder coated a pair, and now my fairlead sits out front, tucked into the curvature of the bumper opening so that it's almost flush... Sticks out just enough for my flat link to rest perfectly on the fairlead.

Last edited:

-Yeti-

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N4MAL
I finally installed the Daystar front spacers to level the truck...they added about 2" of height with the adjustable front links set to 3.5" (center-to-center). I ended up lengthening the rear adjustable links to also raise the rear about 1/2" because I like the look of the rear being a hair higher than the front. Really happy with how she sits now. You can feel the extra ride height a bit while cornering, but the air ride still keep everything composed... and the spacers actually make for a smoother ride over bumps.
And I added 1" BORA hub-centric wheel spacers to the rear, and moved my 1/4" flat spacers from the rear to front wheels. At this point, the small amount that the tires poke out from the wheel wells is even front and rear... stance looks about perfect to my eyes.

I also finally installed my winch on the Vice Designs winch mount, and the set of 6" LED light bars on the Vice Designs mount brackets. Vice did a great job with the design and fit of this kit; everything looks OEM quality. Only suggestion for them would be to include a pair of cylindrical bushings/spacers (about an inch tall) to clearance the fairlead out in front of the bumper opening. My shop fabricated and powder coated a pair, and now my fairlead sits out front, tucked into the curvature of the bumper opening so that it's almost flush... Sticks out just enough for my flat link to rest perfectly on the fairlead.

Hmm. This thing sure does look familiar.. are those the LEDs from Vice?