2018 Nissan Armada as overland vehicle

• HTML tutorial

Jay in NY

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello to all members,
I am a new member with no prior experience or no overland vehicle yet. Live in Vestal , NY, upstate.
Near retirement or partly retired so looking to explore US in a rather non conventional way and looking to explore possibilities with some over landing, camping in the wonderful outdoors of US.
I read and saw a lot of videos about the New Nissan Armada and how comfy and well equipped it is for rugged travels.
I would appreciate other member thoughts and advice about modifying with after market accessories including beefier suspensions and wheels.
Thanks,
Jay

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Jay in NY
While I can't speak to the merits of he Armada. Welcome to the Group!
Check with the folks at Rugged Rocks Off Road in CA. I came across their site while shopping. They seem to specialize in Nissan off road upgrades.

Boort

MichLC_2000

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

DeWitt, Michigan, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bower
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello to all members,
I am a new member with no prior experience or no overland vehicle yet. Live in Vestal , NY, upstate.
Near retirement or partly retired so looking to explore US in a rather non conventional way and looking to explore possibilities with some over landing, camping in the wonderful outdoors of US.
I read and saw a lot of videos about the New Nissan Armada and how comfy and well equipped it is for rugged travels.
I would appreciate other member thoughts and advice about modifying with after market accessories including beefier suspensions and wheels.
Thanks,
Jay
Jay,
I bought a 16v Scirocco in Vestal about a life-time ago while stationed in upstate NY....
Since you asked, I can provide my humble opinion and hopefully it’s not too late for you to change direction.
I own an Armada, Tacoma and LandCruiser so I do have first hand knowledge.
The Armada is big! It’s got a ton of power and is comfortable. It’s my wife’s daily driver and she does really like it. We bought it because of its perceived refinement, relatively low cost, ability to carry 8 passengers and tow our 21’ travel trailer. This was an upgrade from our 2007 Sequoia (the 4.7L 8 was just a bit shy of the power we wanted).
Last year we traveled 8000 miles in the Armada as a family of 5 over 3 weeks and towed our camper down Route 66 to California and home to Michigan via 80/90. We hit several National Parks, drove over many washboard roads, over mountains, through heavy rains and 114 degree weather.
We’ve also taken the Armada and camper through Michigan’s UP and Canada the past couple of summers and to Camden NY (inlaws) for the past 3 years for Christmas through snow and -degree weather.
We have a 2012 model Armada and it’s the same running gear as the 2018 with the 2018 having an updated shell. Currently we’re at 96k miles.
My Land Cruiser 100 is a 2000 model year with 249k miles and some modifications that have been added as original equipment ages out; e.g. new muffler at 189,900 miles to replace the factory stainless steel original, new springs at 242k miles to replace originals, etc.

The build quality of the Land Cruiser is a standard much higher than the Armada. The 4WD system of the LC is much, much better on snow, gravel, any surface. There are several companies catering to Land Cruisers for Overland mods and there is a reason it is well represented in any Overland venue.

The Armada is temperamental and little ghosts exist in the electrical components where they may or may not work when you need them. Periodically the vehicle likes to drain the battery (no lights were left on... it just happens sometimes) just low enough to require a jumpstart.
The Armada is built to be a family grocery-getter...it is not meant to take the trails of an Overland agenda and it will brake. The suspension won’t take it and the whole vehicle will loosen up.

In my humble opinion, I’d take the $ that would be spent on a 2018 Armada and put 1/8 of that into buying a good Land Cruiser... make any necessary repairs and drive it until you feel you really need to modify it for the level of Overlanding you desire.

We’re replacing our Armada with a Land Cruiser 200 and the 5.7L 8.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Traveler I

I own a 2007 Nissan Armada, and am currently looking to replace it for my future over landing ventures. There is not enough aftermarket support for the Armada, and although it is the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned, I can't build it to what I want or need. I am looking into Toyota, and just not sure which model to go with.

Good luck with your choice, and enjoy the adventure no matter what vehicle you use.

Cheers!

bnyc000

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Utah
First Name
Carlisle
Last Name
Baptiste
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello all, I have an '04 Nissan Armada that I use for my trips and Iove it. I've had the vehicle since 2006 and I've looked out for the electrical gremlins and other issues that are known to plague the vehicle, but I haven't experienced anything outside the normal wear and tear of the vehicle. I know this reply is a little late for this thread, but I just wanted to say that its been a reliable vehicle for me and my excursions and its been good to me.

I have to agree with MichLC_2000, I wish there were more aftermarket items to outfit the Armada, but thats when you have to start drafting and engineering things you want for the vehicle. Which can be fun!

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Szczecin, Westpomerania (PL)
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

Nice tread >Jay in NY< becouse Y62 ARMADA is, in my believing, most underrated vehicle in Overlanding
NISSAN PATROL Y62 (Armada in USA) is in tough use in AU - check my mate DASH in some vlogs - impressive!!!
Great in OVERLANDING

bnyc000

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Utah
First Name
Carlisle
Last Name
Baptiste
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Yeah I bet! I have a 2017 Nissan Armada that I really love, but I wish they made it comparable to the Patrol. Nonetheless, an awesome vehicle.

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

Yeah I bet! I have a 2017 Nissan Armada that I really love, but I wish they made it comparable to the Patrol. Nonetheless, an awesome vehicle.
Dear >bnyc000< Your american Armada is REALLY equall to Y62 Nissan Patrol that Aussies modify into tough off-road vehicle.
As far as you have 4x4 model (from 60'ties avaiable 4x2 patrols) you have the same rough Patrol gen. Go for australian pages to buy some mods (lift, front locker, bumpers and long-range fuil tanks). Patrol Y62 is one of the rare "SUVs" where You may put 35" wheels on it without lifting (Y61 - most famous for its off-road must be lifted to 35" wheels). Y62 is so capable that you can carry crosswise full OZ TENT on back seats - no way to put it to LC200 toyota. Engines VK56 is one of the best V8s, well known in USA, reriable and not so thirsty. Gear-box RE5R05A is the same mounted into Y61 TB48 and can stand 1400 HP of power mods!!! It is very underestimated OVERLANDING VEHICLE.

nissan-armada-mountain-patrol-10-1542959319.jpgCustom-Nissan-Y62-Patrol-dual-cab-ute-mudcrossing.jpg

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Dear >bnyc000< Your american Armada is REALLY equall to Y62 Nissan Patrol that Aussies modify into tough off-road vehicle.
As far as you have 4x4 model (from 60'ties avaiable 4x2 patrols) you have the same rough Patrol gen. Go for australian pages to buy some mods (lift, front locker, bumpers and long-range fuil tanks). Patrol Y62 is one of the rare "SUVs" where You may put 35" wheels on it without lifting (Y61 - most famous for its off-road must be lifted to 35" wheels). Y62 is so capable that you can carry crosswise full OZ TENT on back seats - no way to put it to LC200 toyota. Engines VK56 is one of the best V8s, well known in USA, reriable and not so thirsty. Gear-box RE5R05A is the same mounted into Y61 TB48 and can stand 1400 HP of power mods!!! It is very underestimated OVERLANDING VEHICLE.

View attachment 137476View attachment 137477
The early Armadas are completely different from the Patrols. Up until 2016 they were built in Mississippi and based off of the Titan. Honestly that factory has lots of issues and while I think the design is sound, build quality is not what it could be. I would have no doubts about abusing a 2017 and up Armada as it is a Patrol with different badging. But it is worth noting, even the current Armada runs a different engine from the Patrol.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Yeah, the 2012 and the newer ones aren't the same. I was sitting outside of my hotel the other night looking at an Armada wondering why they aren't more popular. In the US, we don't have the off road gadgets on the "Patrol" that the Aussies have though so keep that in mind. I would consider a newer one for sure. Especially since I've been bit by the fullsize bug.

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

The early Armadas are completely different from the Patrols. Up until 2016 they were built in Mississippi and based off of the Titan. Honestly that factory has lots of issues and while I think the design is sound, build quality is not what it could be. I would have no doubts about abusing a 2017 and up Armada as it is a Patrol with different badging. But it is worth noting, even the current Armada runs a different engine from the Patrol.

You Are right. Older Armadas have not much to do with Patrol legend. Still Armada 2016 (USA) and up is stricktly the same in body, frame, chassis, drivetrain and engine/gearbox like those in AU, Russia, UAE and Africa.
Engine VK56DE is one of the best in general - avaible now for both extreme hot (Dubai desert and their national "dune flying") and extreme cold (Jakuck -65C / -75F). Even Toyota has not put their gasoline V8 to Australia. Nissan has. You know - aussies do not joke when they go to the interior. :tonguewink:

The gear-box RE5R05A is the same that went to SuperPatrolSuper with TB48 in-line six. Only transfer box is different.

So if You want reliable Overlander vehicle that is serviced all around the world and is cheaper then competitors (I have no idea why) this is a choise.
I know the company which takes Armadas to EU, modify them to be a propper overland car and send back to USA as PATROL Y62. Price is like 65t$

Check my mate David - what he is doing with those cars.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

You Are right. Older Armadas have not much to do with Patrol legend. Still Armada 2016 (USA) and up is stricktly the same in body, frame, chassis, drivetrain and engine/gearbox like those in AU, Russia, UAE and Africa.
Engine VK56DE is one of the best in general - avaible now for both extreme hot (Dubai desert and their national "dune flying") and extreme cold (Jakuck -65C / -75F). Even Toyota has not put their gasoline V8 to Australia. Nissan has. You know - aussies do not joke when they go to the interior. :tonguewink:

The gear-box RE5R05A is the same that went to SuperPatrolSuper with TB48 in-line six. Only transfer box is different.

So if You want reliable Overlander vehicle that is serviced all around the world and is cheaper then competitors (I have no idea why) this is a choise.
I know the company which takes Armadas to EU, modify them to be a propper overland car and send back to USA as PATROL Y62. Price is like 65t$

Okay, I want one now.

• Wow
Reactions: Ralph

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF

Yeah 2016 production, 2017 model year is the Patrol just badged Armada for the US. However the engine for the US market is made in Tennessee and is the same Endurance V8 that the Titan runs. Im not sure if We import parts and just assemble them here or not. I do know its very common for manufacturers to make some components in the US that are simply copies for the market here to dodge tariffs, but sometimes so long as something like an engine is simply assembled here it "counts" as US made for tariff purposes.

Reactions: Ralph

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

Yeah 2016 production, 2017 model year is the Patrol just badged Armada for the US. However the engine for the US market is made in Tennessee and is the same Endurance V8 that the Titan runs. Im not sure if We import parts and just assemble them here or not. I do know its very common for manufacturers to make some components in the US that are simply copies for the market here to dodge tariffs, but sometimes so long as something like an engine is simply assembled here it "counts" as US made for tariff purposes.
Heah.
Thats the engine from TITAN. The early models have had timing chain issues. Not sure if those in Armada because NISSAN reflected Titan's experience and put the same engine into Patrol. Much more than that - there are only two engines for Patrol/Armada Y62 models: 5,6 and only in UAE V6 4,0 litre. So it's got to be good machinery. From 2017 the engine name is VK56VD - I shall serch what is the difference...:-)

They lauched PATROL y62 2011 and tested it all around the world before ventured to go for US customer (after 40 years of absence). People aren't stupid - 5 years of the production the name Armada has nothing to do with the fact that this is Patrol. If Nissan would fail....?

By the way - the same family engine VK45DE was mounted in GT-R which I must not introduce, must I?

Reactions: Dilldog

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
By the way - the same family engine VK45DE was mounted in GT-R which I must not introduce, must I?
Ya know, lots of people are gaga over the GTR. I cant speak for the rest of the world, but here in the US you can get the new mid engine Corvette for half the price wich is arguably a far better track car. The biggest thing that makes me laugh at Nissan with the GTR is that if you take that car to a track and put it in race mode, your warranty is voided. Where as with the new Corvette they literally changed the roof line to make sure a 6' tall person could sit comfortably with a helmet on for track use.

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

Well, I just mention an example with this engine...
Personally I'm not a fan boy of NISSAN as a brand. After some years of torturing many off-road vehicles I can just resume my opinion: PATROL itself is the best I can get concidering all of issues playing any role in Overlanding. Just for me. Not for everybody ;-)

1) G-class is better - YES but it's too heavy and too expensive as a base
2) Wrangler is better - YES but it's not reliable enough and too tiny inside
3) Pick-ups are better - YES but I need a vagon not a house-car
4) Defender is better - No it's not in any point except show-off
5) Pajero is better - maybe but it's too fregile for my style of driving
6) Toyota is better - YES but everybody say so and I don't like it in first place
7) old UNIMOG is better - YES but it won't fit into a container. And I'm not a masochist - long trip driving comfort is .....
8) and many more

So even if PATROL is worse from all of those - It's the best car for me in overlanding. :tonguewink:

Last edited:
Reactions: PanoZen and Dilldog

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Nissan Patrol is an amazing vehicle. Is your Patrol gas for diesel?
We in the US go through hoops in order to get a diesel overland vehicle.

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

Nissan Patrol is an amazing vehicle. Is your Patrol gas for diesel?
We in the US go through hoops in order to get a diesel overland vehicle.
This is a thread of Jay's but he drives Armada so I resume this question was to me... :flushed:

I have two PATROLs Y60, both are 4.2 trubo diesel due to mechanical winch. Believe me this shouldn't exist :tonguewink:

Reactions: Ob1