haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Did you have the factory skid plates? My FX4 has skid plates, and i'm wondering if something like those RCI skid plates would be a better replacement along with some true rock sliders.

Reactions: PonoAdventures

.30 Al

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Came home from work to my new Dometic CFX3 55IM on my front porch. REI had their annual 20% member's coupon, and with the dividends I built up, it came out at a pretty good price. Just fits in the back passenger side so I still have 4 people in the truck. Can't wait for this quarantine to end to put it to the test. Now debating whether to flip the lid opening on it so I can leave the fridge in the truck but still access from the outside.

View attachment 146505

View attachment 146506
Glad to see how that fits in there nicely. I am also thinking of adding a fridge and that's the location I had in mind.

.30 Al

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Today's project was to install my RCI aluminum skid plates. Overall build quality is very nice, though instructions could be more clear for the bracket install. Overall the install was pretty easy, although I spend an hour trying to get one 10M speed nut onto the frame (their speed nuts are very sturdy!). If you don't have a lift, I recommend using some traction boards or something to get some extra room down there. Very tight fit with the crawler and if I didn't use my MaxxTraxx it would have been a lot more difficult.

Stock protection (pretty much felt protection):
View attachment 154373

RCI SkidPlates (Engine, Transmission, and Transfer Case):
View attachment 154374

Using MaxxTrax to help:
View attachment 154382

Fully Installed:
View attachment 154383

View attachment 154384
Those RCI skid plates are next on my list. I just installed SDHQ weld-on rock sliders.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Did you have the factory skid plates? My FX4 has skid plates, and i'm wondering if something like those RCI skid plates would be a better replacement along with some true rock sliders.
I didn’t have the factory skid plate since I knew I wanted better ones. I think you could not have the engine RCI skid plate but buy the transmission and transfer case one if you want more coverage.

I would also recommend true rock sliders. Currently I have some being built.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Came home from work to my new Dometic CFX3 55IM on my front porch. REI had their annual 20% member's coupon, and with the dividends I built up, it came out at a pretty good price. Just fits in the back passenger side so I still have 4 people in the truck. Can't wait for this quarantine to end to put it to the test. Now debating whether to flip the lid opening on it so I can leave the fridge in the truck but still access from the outside.

View attachment 146505

View attachment 146506
Glad to see how that fits in there nicely. I am also thinking of adding a fridge and that's the location I had in mind.
You have to move the passenger seat up slightly but the front seat still has room to fit comfortably.

Reactions: .30 Al

Ncat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Corona, CA, USA
First Name
N
Last Name
Cat
Member #

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Haven't updated in a while, but there has been a few changes:

1. Installed KC Hilites C-series area Lights, 2 on the left, 2 on the rear, and 2 on the right. Each side is on its own switch so I can light up only one side to not disturbed neighbors if in a developed sites. The switched used is a Switchpro 9100 with a Swarfworks sunglass holder mount and SDHQ mount inside the engine bay.

2. Installed KC Hilite 28" multifunction rear chase light. I have the amber and flashing amber put on the Switchpro and tapped the running, brake, and reverse lights into the tail lamps. This was the biggest pain, especially with the instructions not being clear on what they considered the "left" tail lamp (FYI they mean passenger side when they left, not driver).

3. Got a good deal on an OEM grill and switched out the chrome grill. Almost done getting rid of all the chrome now.

4. Bought Rigd Supply Megafit mount with frontrunner table.

5. Last but not least, bought a Builtright Industries dash mount. Used this to have a mount for my Inreach Mini. Also put in a Blue Sea Systems 12V USB outlet since I had the dash out so I could power the GPS/Gopro without the wires looking messy.

IMG_4460.jpeg

IMG_4443.jpeg

IMG_4470 (1).jpeg

IMG_4472.jpeg

IMG_4465.jpeg

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Nice build man! Builtright and RCI is solid kit. I have both on my 2015. I strongly recommend SPOD for electrical accessories and if you haven’t done your lift the Fox 2.0 system is great and doesn’t void your warranty(ford sells the kit even).

JBear223

Rank II

Enthusiast III

California
First Name
John
Last Name
Behrens
Very nice. I have a 2019 F150 as well. Added King coilovers all 4 corners, Deaver +3 leaf springs and Icon Delta Joint UCA. 275/75/17 Wildpeak AT3W on Method wheels.
I have a switch pro and all kinds of lights I still haven't put on yet. I will be getting a fridge but since it needs to go in the bed I will have to get a canopy/shell of some type, ARE, RSI...?

Also, anyone have any good ideas on mounting a fridge slider in the truck bed? The aluminum adds some issues that steel beds don't have.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Nice build man! Builtright and RCI is solid kit. I have both on my 2015. I strongly recommend SPOD for electrical accessories and if you haven’t done your lift the Fox 2.0 system is great and doesn’t void your warranty(ford sells the kit even).
Thanks! Yea so far no issues with either. RCI got a good test in Arizona and has held up. I went with the switchpro but was heavily debating between the two.

I have Bilsteins 5100 but will upgrade eventually. I blew threw my original warranty long ago and didn't upgrade to the 100k since I will probably hit that within the next 2 years.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Very nice. I have a 2019 F150 as well. Added King coilovers all 4 corners, Deaver +3 leaf springs and Icon Delta Joint UCA. 275/75/17 Wildpeak AT3W on Method wheels.
I have a switch pro and all kinds of lights I still haven't put on yet. I will be getting a fridge but since it needs to go in the bed I will have to get a canopy/shell of some type, ARE, RSI...?

Also, anyone have any good ideas on mounting a fridge slider in the truck bed? The aluminum adds some issues that steel beds don't have.
Nice! Kings or Icons will probably be my next big thing after my front bumper is done. The switchpro makes everything easier, but putting the lights wire in the cable protectors was the biggest pain. Can't help you on the slider for the fridge as I have mine in the cab.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Which bumper are you going with? And I assume you'll be cutting the crash bars? How about relocating the CAC?
I'm getting the RPG Off-road prerunner bumper and since I'm local to them I'm getting them to do the install to make sure its done right (plus don't think i have the skillset or tools to cut anything). Since I have the EcoBoost I purchased the intercooler relocation kit.

Reactions: Maverick9110E

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Awesome rig man! Love what you've done. Did you ever go about routing the other two breathers? I am debating on relocating mine but my rear is already up at the top of the frame in one of the cross beams that support the bed. Haven't dug around underneath long enough to find them.

To anyone who comes across this thread, the FX4 skid plates are ok, but they are definitively a one and done thin sheet metal plate. The RCI ones are legitimate skid plates.