Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Hello everyone! Even though Expo is still a couple months away there's already been a lot of discussion about who's leaving when and from where so I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to get this thread started. Ultimately the goal is to have as many of us rolling into Expo together so that we can camp together. This thread will be focused on those of us planning to arrive on Thursday but I'd gladly add a Friday folks variant.

As it stands there are two planned routes coming down from the northeast/mid atlantic. Please know that things can change slightly this far out but here are those plans thus far. If you have different plans please discuss it with me in DM and I'll add it to the thread.

We will be using the OB comm channels for the caravans and from the Rally Point.

CB 16
GMRS 15

Northeast Caravan

My plans for this caravan are to turn the drive down I-81 into a two day thing to include some trail riding and camping in George Washington and Jefferson National Forest. If you want to meet up at these places or along the way please mention it so that we know to expect you and can plan accordingly.

Wednesday 8AM.. meet at the Walmart in Wilkes Barre (2150 Wilkes Barre Township Blvd, Wilkes-Barre Township, PA 18702)

Wednesday afternoon.. hit a bunch of trails in George Washington and Jefferson National Forest

Wednesday night.. camp next to Puffenbarger Pond in Virginia (Lat: 38.51001 Lon: -79.18415)

Thursday 3PM.. meet at Papa's and Beer Mexican Restaurant (1000 Brevard Rd, Asheville, NC 28806)

Mid-Atlantic Caravan

The plans for this caravan are to leave the Alexandria/Arlington area and will be headed up by @NovaBound and @sabjku. Their route will be I-95 I-85 I-40.

Thursday 630AM.. meeting spot TBD

Thursday 3PM.. meet at Papa's and Beer Mexican Restaurant (1000 Brevard Rd, Asheville, NC 28806)

Papa's and Beer (http://www.papasandbeerasheville.net/) is the meeting point for everyone regardless of where you're coming from. The plan is to leave the restaurant by 4PM to arrive at Expo before we will no longer be able to camp at 6PM. So who's making the trip?!

**** Rally Point ****

I set up a rally point for people coming from any direction. If you plan to caravan or simply meet us at Papa's and Beer, please follow the link and confirm your intentions.

https://www.overlandbound.com/event/2018-expo-east-caravan-meeting-point/

@Hank Outdoors @Jeepsies @JRElaxED @dziner @Cpol @Yota 4X4 @Ian McAdorey @WE ROME @MolangiNaeda

Last edited:

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

Hello everyone! Even though Expo is still a couple months away there's already been a lot of discussion about who's leaving when and from where so I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to get this thread started. Ultimately the goal is to have as many of us rolling into Expo together so that we can camp together. This thread will be focused on those of us planning to arrive on Thursday but I'd gladly add a Friday folks variant.

As it stands there are two planned routes coming down from the northeast/mid atlantic. Please know that things can change slightly this far out but here are those plans thus far. If you have different plans please discuss it with me in DM and I'll add it to the thread.

Northeast Caravan

My plans for this caravan are to turn the drive down I-81 into a two day thing to include some trail riding and camping in George Washington and Jefferson National Forest. If you want to meet up at these places or along the way please mention it so that we know to expect you and can plan accordingly.

Wednesday 8AM.. meet at the Walmart in Wilkes Barre (2150 Wilkes Barre Township Blvd, Wilkes-Barre Township, PA 18702)

Wednesday night.. camp on Flagpole Knob in Virginia (Lat: 38.51001 Lon: -79.18415)

Mid-Atlantic Caravan

The plans for this caravan are to leave the Alexandria/Arlington area and will be headed up by @NovaBound and @sabjku. Their route will be I-95 I-85 I-40.

Papa's and Beer (http://www.papasandbeerasheville.net/) is the meeting point for everyone regardless of where you're coming from. The plan is to leave the restaurant by 4PM to arrive at Expo before we will no longer be able to camp at 6PM. So who's making the trip?!

@outwardbound @Hank Outdoors @Jeepsies @JRElaxED @CFTAdventures @dziner @Cpol @Yota 4X4 @Ian McAdorey @WE ROME @MolangiNaeda
I plan on meeting you all at Papas and Beer. Since I'm coming from Illinois, I may leave Wednesday night to get a jump start on the drive and hit Daniel Boone NF on the way down. Either way, I plan to be there barring any crazy drama between now and then.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet

Northeast Caravan

Wednesday night.. camp on Flagpole Knob in Virginia (Lat: 38.51001 Lon: -79.18415)

Mid-Atlantic Caravan

Rally Point

https://www.overlandbound.com/event/2018-expo-east-caravan-meeting-point/

@outwardbound @Hank Outdoors @Jeepsies @JRElaxED @CFTAdventures @dziner @Cpol @Yota 4X4 @Ian McAdorey @WE ROME @MolangiNaeda
I’m driving in from Austin TX. Bit of a drive. Looking forward to seeing everyone at Papa’s and Beer.

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

This will be my 3rd year at East, hit Expo West as well this year. @Wawa Skittletits @outwardbound @dziner have been also been to many as well.
Indeed. Been going since they started even before the Biltmore. If this is your first one, you might feel overwhelmed with the vendors. Soooooo much to buy, soooooo little money yet some great discounts. Camping is great and meeting new people from all over, with a common love, appreciation for exploration, is awesome. And the classes are great, if you choose them, if you are looking to become more educated on all things offroad and travel. At the end of the day, you get out of it what you put into it. You don't need to do overland experience or buy a bunch of shit to have an awesome time!!! Its about the attitude and mindset.

Cheers

CFTAdventures

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Falling Waters, WV
Member #

Indeed. Been going since they started even before the Biltmore. If this is your first one, you might feel overwhelmed with the vendors. Soooooo much to buy, soooooo little money yet some great discounts. Camping is great and meeting new people from all over, with a common love, appreciation for exploration, is awesome. And the classes are great, if you choose them, if you are looking to become more educated on all things offroad and travel. At the end of the day, you get out of it what you put into it. You don't need to do overland experience or buy a bunch of shit to have an awesome time!!! Its about the attitude and mindset.

Cheers
I will say last years East was by far the best experience that we have had and that was because we were able to get the majority of the OB members together at the camp. Some great conversations about what the day held, modifications done to the rigs and trips were shared around the fire.

SCtundra

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

mrytle beach
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Rea
Member #

Cheers
Do you know if dogs are allowed at the expo

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

Yes. Dogs are allowed. Granted, This is a new venue this year and they still haven't released all of the details regarding kids, pets, etc.. etc... Most of the details of OXE are from last year's event. REEB Ranch may have their own rules. Like Biltmore did. I am going to be interested in what other restrictions apply this year given the proximity of private property/residences near the venue site. Biltmore was pretty well secluded and....very large. Doing a Google Map recon, I notice a main access road thru the middle of the ranch, but if my assumptions are mildly correct, campers and/or vendors will be situated close to residential/farms along the west and north sides of the property. There is a Baptist Church at the Northwest Corner of the property. Hopefully the folks on Sunday morning don't complain about the massive amount of traffic in their little town.