The Colony, TX
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Deans
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5TEX
I figured I'd go ahead and start this thread to chronicle the build for my truck. I do not foresee this being a quick build with flashy expensive parts but I'll do my best :sunglasses:

So here is the truck bone stock.
Truck.jpeg

I have already done an essential to saving the interior by ordering WeatherTech mats all the way around and have installed the OB Member badges on the outside.

That should give me newest rig some cred....LOL
Truck Dri.jpg Truck Pas.jpg

I'll update this thread and post pics as I do various mods to the truck.

Current Mods:
WeatherTech Floor Mats
OB Member Badges

UpirLichy

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

The Colony, TX
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Deans
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5TEX
I have an new/old CB laying around that was intended for a previous rig but never got pulled out of the box. I'd like to use it if at all possible but am not finding alot of locations to put it. I've seen many folks put them on the back of the center console where the rear cup holders are. I do not like this location because its in the back with the kids, dogs and gear. The only place that seems to work is on top of dash.

Have any of you seen one placed in this location? Do you foresee any issues.....airbags, heat from the Texas sun? Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
CB.jpg

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Hey, welcome to the forums! I'm in the identical situation as you with the CB. I have a 17 TRD Sport DCSBMT. I currently have mine on the dash a little to the left of where yours is. I don't like it there but needed to get it installed before a trip so it's there for now. I was thinking about putting it under the driver seat, but then I couldn't see it obviously to change channels or squelch... however, I found an article somewhere where a guy carefully reomved the head of the CB, attached longer wires, and mounted just the head of the unit elsewhere. Like a DIY solution to mimic one of those expensive amateur radio transceivers with the remote head unit. Don't have the link saved right now sadly, but it's out there somewhere. Might have been in a Tacoma forum.
Another potential location was to cut a rectangle out next to my e-brake and slide it down in there (assuming there's room under that center area), but that might not work for you if you have an automatic as the gear shift center areas are different than manual transmissions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using OB Talk mobile app

UpirLichy

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

The Colony, TX
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Deans
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5TEX
Hey, welcome to the forums! I'm in the identical situation as you with the CB. I have a 17 TRD Sport DCSBMT. I currently have mine on the dash a little to the left of where yours is. I don't like it there but needed to get it installed before a trip so it's there for now.
How did you mount it to the dash? Did you just screw a standard bracket into the dash?

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

How did you mount it to the dash? Did you just screw a standard bracket into the dash?
I removed the mounting bracket and just used heavy double sided tape and stuck it directly to the dash. Here's the tape (same stuff used for dash cams):
Scotch Extreme Mounting Tape, 1 by 60-Inch, Black

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

That is definitely what I was referring to, however I actually think it was a different article I was thinking of... So that means more than one person has done that haha!
I was going to do that with mine and mount the head unit part in the wireless charger area (I don't use the wireless charger). Just need a stiff piece of plastic or something to put across the opening (many have done this also), then use it to mount the head unit by either screwing into it or cutting a hole out to fit etc.

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Here's some pics of mine:

And here's a pic of the center console area I mentioned:

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Well like I said, that's just a temporary location, which is why I went with the tape... Easily removed later. I want to relocate it eventually. Maybe more gen3 Tacoma owners will chime in with their cb mount locations.

Reactions: UpirLichy

Baby Jeep Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ottawa
Member #

I have an new/old CB laying around that was intended for a previous rig but never got pulled out of the box. I'd like to use it if at all possible but am not finding alot of locations to put it. I've seen many folks put them on the back of the center console where the rear cup holders are. I do not like this location because its in the back with the kids, dogs and gear. The only place that seems to work is on top of dash.

Have any of you seen one placed in this location? Do you foresee any issues.....airbags, heat from the Texas sun? Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
View attachment 36033
Im sure you are trying to avoid spending but, I have a cobra 75 cb and it is VERY clean and out of the way. Highly recomend. Everything is in the hand held. I mounted it with a magnet ball phone mount. I also have mobile/handheld frs and vhs units on flat magnets on top.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Jimmy P

Baby Jeep Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ottawa
Member #

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
@SwannyBruh I just cant bring myself to cutting anything yet with the truck having less than 1000 miles on it.

@RyanC @Baby Jeep Overland Do the all inclusive mics have any less range or clarity than a traditional cd radio?
CB is limited to either 4 or 5 watts, I can't remember which. That's no problem for such a small radio to handle so you will get full power out of either the Cobra or the Midland. Both require traditional exterior antenna placement like a full size radio, unless you run the Midland on a battery pack, then it has a rubber duck, unlike the Cobra which is a fixed install. They are both great radios and with a proper antenna install you shouldn't be able to tell the difference between them and a traditional boxy radio.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app

UpirLichy

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

The Colony, TX
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Deans
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5TEX
I like the idea of the Midland being able to put the battery pack on it and take it with you if need be.

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

I've used that midland in several vehicles over the years and can vouch for it. With the power limitations of cb a properly tuned antenna is probably going to have a bigger effect on performance than anything else.

I wanna say there's a hole in the floor behind the drive seat where you can access outside then body without drilling, pretty sure I grounded a fridge like that in a 2016 double cab but don't quote me on it, worth checking out though. Could be a good way to get an antenna coax in.