2017 Tacoma Habitat build and Adventures

• HTML tutorial

Junior83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Maple Ridge, BC
Member #

I thought I'd share my build here as I haven't found many Habitat builds being shared on the public forums.

I recently purchased a 2017 Tacoma as our family has grown to 4 in addition to our dog. The JK has been great and serves us well but is simply not large enough to take the dog and all our supplies without adding a trailer.

And being in the PNW, a lot of the trails are too tight to tow a trailer behind.

We previously had a 2007 Tacoma and loved it, and with the announcement of the Tacoma Habitat being released by Adventure Trailers, we thought it was the perfect solution the incorporates our need for a covered area for our dog and gear, with the plus of having a built in tent that comfortably sleeps a family of four.

2007 Tacoma

Here is what's been done so far:

Exterior:
CBI Aluminum front bumper
CBI Dual Swing-away rear bumper and tire carrier
CBI Aluminum Sliders (on order)

Suspension:
ARB OME 3" Medium rate front suspension with Heavy rate rear Dakar leaf pack

Wheels/Tires:
FN Pro Wheels
285/70/17R BFG AT KO2 tires

Interior:
Northwest "Ballistic" custom-fit seat covers

Sleeping and Camp setup:
AT Tacoma Habitat
Dometic CFX 65DZ
Tembo-Tusk Skottle
Camp Chef Dual burner stove
NEMO Helio LX Shower
72 Hr 4-person deluxe survival kits

Recovery:
ARB recovery kit including straps and snatch blocks
Maxtrax

Instagram:
@roamingtacoma 2017 Tacoma DCOR Habitat build
@the_green_monstah - 2012 JKU AEV build

Last edited:

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

Your truck is looking great! I really love those wheels and im planning to paint mine a similar color.

Junior83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Maple Ridge, BC
Member #

I hadn't heard of that issue and mod. I'll talk to my local gear shop in town and investigate this further. Thanks! I am planning on switching to 4.88 Nitro gears in the near future as well to help alleviate some of the strain I'll be putting on the truck due to the additional weight.

Here are some final pics of the habitat before shipment!

Instagram:

Reactions: FAVPST

Sadkomodo

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Washougal Washington
Member #

Junior83, I am envious of your truck and the new Habitat camper you are having built. I believe that your truck should be able go anywhere. Any trips planned when you get the Habitat?

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

The habitats are so awesome, the Nemo Jeep that was put together years ago was amazing. Even more room with a Tacoma, awesome build!. Your Jeep was nice too, by the way ;).

Reactions: Sadkomodo

Junior83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Maple Ridge, BC
Member #

Thanks again guys! Just an update. The habitat is crated and expected to be picked up today for shipment. Yay!

I'll keep you all posted and provide another update once installed!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Isaac Garibay

Junior83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Maple Ridge, BC
Member #

Habitat has arrived and has been uncrated!

Next up is getting the habitat wrapped, the AAL installed and the truck re-geared.

I noticed the truck's rear end squatted an additional inch with the rear bumper installed so I will definitely need to beef up the rear to compensate for the weight in the rear.

Also, with the CBI bumpers installed, I do find the truck to be struggling more at the lower end so the re-gear should significantly help with that.

Here is another shot of her as she sits today... man I can't wait to take her camping!

hallry

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Campbell, CA
Member #

Awesome build thus far! I'm a JK owner, but thinking of doing the same switch as some point. Anything you miss about the JK?

Junior83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Maple Ridge, BC
Member #

Awesome build thus far! I'm a JK owner, but thinking of doing the same switch as some point. Anything you miss about the JK?

LOL Nothing, as I still have the JK!

But if I had to think of the downsides of getting rid of the JK. I'd miss is the simplicity of the Jeep. I like the simplicity of both the suspension/drivetrain of the Jeep. If it wasn't for my family growing, I probably wouldn't even looked at getting a Tacoma. Needless to say, I'm very intrigued to see what the Jeep pickup will be like when it comes out...

Junior83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Maple Ridge, BC
Member #

Sorry, I've been busy working with my graphic designer on the wrap. The add-a-leaf's are in and hope to have that and the habitat installed tomorrow.

However, the wrap won't be ready until next week. I'll be stopping by my local gear shop to see when I can get the re-gear done.

I just did some bodywork touch up around the front bumper to make the spacing between the bumper and body more consistent.

Here's another couple shots of the bumpers.

Instagram:

southernfire97

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pascagoula, MS
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Conner
Member #

Thanks for the posts on this build!! My wife and I have decided to go this route. My only concern is losing the function of the bed for everyday use. She wants to set it up like John Burtt's rig, with the truck vault.