2017 Tacoma Habitat build and Adventures

• HTML tutorial

Isaac Garibay

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Highland Park, CA
Member #

I thought I'd share my build here as I haven't found many Habitat builds being shared on the public forums.

I recently purchased a 2017 Tacoma as our family has grown to 4 in addition to our dog. The JK has been great and serves us well but is simply not large enough to take the dog and all our supplies without adding a trailer.

And being in the PNW, a lot of the trails are too tight to tow a trailer behind.

We previously had a 2007 Tacoma and loved it, and with the announcement of the Tacoma Habitat being released by Adventure Trailers, we thought it was the perfect solution the incorporates our need for a covered area for our dog and gear, with the plus of having a built in tent that comfortably sleeps a family of four.

2007 Tacoma

Here is what's been done so far:

Armour:
CBI Aluminum front bumper
CBI Dual Swing-away rear bumper and tire carrier
CBI Aluminum Sliders (on order)

Suspension:
ARB OME 2-3" Medium rate front suspension with rear Dakar leaf pack

Wheels/Tires:
FN Pro Wheels
285/70/17R BFG AT KO2 tires

Interior:
Northwest "Ballistic" custom-fit seat covers

Sleeping and Camp setup:
AT Tacoma Habitat (expected to arrive early May)
Dometic CFX 65DZ
Tembo-Tusk Skottle
72 Hr 4-person deluxe survival kits

Recovery:
ARB recovery kit including straps and snatch blocks
Maxtrax (on order)

Instagram:
@roamingtacoma 2017 Tacoma DCOR Habitat build
@the_green_monstah - 2012 JKU AEV build

Such good work mane love the rig.

Would like to know if you are having to use spacers because of the tire size and rim size you are using?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Junior83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Maple Ridge, BC
Member #

Such good work mane love the rig.

Would like to know if you are having to use spacers because of the tire size and rim size you are using?

With the particular lift and wheels, I have not needed to add spacers. There has been absolutely no rubbing. The wheels have the perfect offset for the truck with those tires. Thanks!

Dash0312

Rank 0

Traveler I

Love the pics and the information. My wife and I are in the process of getting aTacoma and we want the Habitat as well. I was also looking into the cbi bumpers. Your posts have given me information I had not considered. I'm looking forward to seeing and reading about the results. Thanks for posting!

Reactions: Junior83

Junior83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Maple Ridge, BC
Member #

It's been a long time but I've finally got the Habitat mounted, however it's still waiting for the wrap and electrical to be completed, but I did get to open her up for the first time on the weekend. Now I can't wait to take her out camping and exploring. Here are some updated pictures of it!

And my daughter giving her approval...

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Junior83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Maple Ridge, BC
Member #

Love the pics and the information. My wife and I are in the process of getting aTacoma and we want the Habitat as well. I was also looking into the cbi bumpers. Your posts have given me information I had not considered. I'm looking forward to seeing and reading about the results. Thanks for posting!
Thanks! I appreciate it and glad to help. Feel free to ask any questions you may have regarding the build.

Junior83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Maple Ridge, BC
Member #

5 or 6 for bed is my question. Hope to be doing the same setup. Working on my own electric onboard water heater right now. Awesome.

Sent from my XT1585 using OB Talk mobile app
Hi Mike, 5' bed for this one. I chose the smaller due to the shorter wheelbase and the tight trails we have in the PNW. It is a trade for the usable extra space I could use for things like a water tank and heater. I'm thinking I may end up going with the Nemo Equipment shower the provide for my source of water. I'm trying to figure out logistics and storage now with my limited space.

Thanks again guys for your feedback.

Greg

schneidvegas

Rank 0

Traveler I

VA
It's awesome to see someone using the Habitat AT. I have been battling myself over a JKU, 4Runner or Taco + Habitat AT... and now of course the JT.

Now that you have everything setup on the Taco, would you still have stuck with the JKU if the family was small enough?

Reactions: Junior83

Junior83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Maple Ridge, BC
Member #

It's awesome to see someone using the Habitat AT. I have been battling myself over a JKU, 4Runner or Taco + Habitat AT... and now of course the JT.

Now that you have everything setup on the Taco, would you still have stuck with the JKU if the family was small enough?
Very good question. LOL If it was just the two of us and the dog, yes, the jeep likely would've been enough although I would like go the Ursa Minor route with the J30. Once the JT comes out I feel I'll have myself another dilemma, but that may be the time I trade in the JK.

Junior83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Maple Ridge, BC
Member #

I've also confirmed with the misses and work that we will be able to head down to Plaine, Wa to attend the NWOR next weekend! Although we won't be able to get there until late Friday evening.

Junior83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Maple Ridge, BC
Member #

The BC Overland rally was a huge success for its inaugural event. My family and I were able to attend both the BC and NW the previous weekend. Both had great turnouts and was able to meet a bunch of new people.

Driving down to Plain, Wa was brutal in the fact that I was still running the stock 3.90 gears and when heading up the pass, the truck struggled finding a gear to the point I've never seen anything like it before. Thankfully, prior to the BC rally I was able to get the Nitro 4.88's installed and man what a difference! I'd recommend nothing less!

Reactions: ChepoCDT

Gary A

Rank 0

Traveler I

Great looking rig! I'm leaning towards a Taco Habitat over a JKU Ursa Minor, but Ursa Minor is developing a version for the Taco and I want to see it before I decide on my platform and sleep setup. I was wondering if you could tell me how high the top of the Habitat is off the ground? I want to make sure it will fit in my garage. From my research I think it would be about 82-83 inches high. Thanks in advance!

Junior83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Maple Ridge, BC
Member #

Great looking rig! I'm leaning towards a Taco Habitat over a JKU Ursa Minor, but Ursa Minor is developing a version for the Taco and I want to see it before I decide on my platform and sleep setup. I was wondering if you could tell me how high the top of the Habitat is off the ground? I want to make sure it will fit in my garage. From my research I think it would be about 82-83 inches high. Thanks in advance!
Thanks! You’re very close, it was 84” after the lift and 285/70/17 tires.

I actually sold the truck as it turned out it didn’t end up working for my family logistically. A great set up but one I wouldn’t necessarily recommend with a 1 and 3 year old, plus a German shepherd, as it is a struggle logistically setting up. LOL Kind if ended up being a juggling act. It’d be much easier with older children. Maybe I’ll try again 5-10 years down the road.

Gary A

Rank 0

Traveler I

I actually sold the truck as it turned out it didn’t end up working for my family logistically. A great set up but one I wouldn’t necessarily recommend with a 1 and 3 year old, plus a German shepherd, as it is a struggle logistically setting up. LOL Kind if ended up being a juggling act. It’d be much easier with older children. Maybe I’ll try again 5-10 years down the road.

I completely understand. When my kids were little I mildly enjoyed camping. Everyday life with small kids is hard enough, and it's 4x harder when camping. Now that we're empty nesters I love camping, but my wife isn't a huge tent fan so I want to make the experience very comfortable for her. But I still want to go off road deep into the wilderness so a standard camper isn't appealing to me. Thanks again and good luck to your family!

ace7196

Rank 0

Traveler I

PNW
W
It's been a long time but I've finally got the Habitat mounted, however it's still waiting for the wrap and electrical to be completed, but I did get to open her up for the first time on the weekend. Now I can't wait to take her out camping and exploring. Here are some updated pictures of it!

And my daughter giving her approval...

What warp did you use? How's the color match?

schneidvegas

Rank 0

Traveler I

VA

I almost spit out my imaginary drink when reading this.

Did you get a new vehicle? I’ve read many reviews of how the 4Runner would be perfect for your life setup. I have test drove the Tacoma and the 4Runner, I like the Tacoma a lot but the backseat is so tiny I couldn’t imagine a family of 4 comfortably riding around. The 4Runner has so much room compared to the Tacoma but I’ve yet to really desire to be in one.

I am a single man with a German Shepherd so although I don’t fully understand the complications of a family of 4+dog, I could imagine you need like... a school bus.