Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

Since 2014, we have been trying to travel and explore with vehicle during summer. This year, I'm planning a similar trip like 2015 and travelled westbound again. Our destination will be the canadian rockies. We will be base camping in 2 area, Banff and Jasper. Here is our preliminary route. We have about 10 days in Banff + Jasper. We will take about 4 days to travel to AB and 4 days travel from AB.

18238754_751399555019728_97307554857226219_o.jpg

I hoping to get some feedback and idea on some activities around the Jasper area. Banff area activities is plentiful (hiking & exploring), but I still have a 2 days of activities around Jasper. I can do mild offroading, not hard core. Also, I could use some idea on the 4 days travelling from AB to MA.

From MA to AB, I have the following stop
1. National Museum of US Air Force in OH
2. Badland National Park
3. Wall, SD
4. Minuteman Missile NHS
5. Devils Tower National Monument

In Banff, I'm hoping to do some hiking around Lake Louise and Lake O'hara. I will explore around Smith Dorian Trail.

In Jasper, we will hit some missing spot, but still open for some idea.
1. Mt. Edith Cavell
2. Mt. Robson Provincial Park.
3. Visit Dawson Creek (The beginning of Alaska Hwy). Scouting for my future Alaska trip.

Any feedback is welcome. Thank you.

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

If you're passing through the Alberta prairies consider stopping at the tyrell museum in drumheller, Ab.

Just east of Banff checkout kananaskis country. Tons of hiking and trails. Spray lakes road and highway 40 are beautiful with far less Banff crowding.

In Banff check out the elbow falls, climb sulphur mountain (take the gondola), and see cave and basin. Not to mention a late soak in the upper hot springs.

North of Banff take highway 1a to lake Louise. It's slower but worth it. Stop and hike Johnson canyon. Of course go wander chateau lake Louise. Drive up to moraine lake.

Lake Louise to Jasper stop at Columbia ice fields. Walk the glacier skywalk and tour the glacier. You can walk to the base of the glacier. You can also camp at Wilcox creek campground.... take a heater. Only the hearty camp at that altitude. [emoji846]

Stop at sunwapta falls and Athabasca falls before you hit jasper. At athabasca falls take highway 93a. More scenic (if you can get anymore scenic in that country).

At Jasper hit maligne canyon and maligne lake. If you get far enough east you can hit Miette hot springs and do sulphur skyline hike.

That's my list of quick highlights. You can't really go wrong in the Rockies!

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

@Daniel Etter Thanks for the offering. I'm thinking mostly a short driveby visit to Badland NP and vicinity. Will have limited time in SD as I'm heading into MT.
There are a few quick things in that area. Wall drug is a quirky little town that has some cool stuff, also there is a Minuteman Missile site nearby as well!

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

Our journey started yesterday. We are on a 4 days road trip to Banff from Boston vicinity. The truck performing flawless on day 1. I'm still following the original plan to visit our first stop in OH this morning. Then, another long stretch travel to SD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mitch Pedersen

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

There are a few quick things in that area. Wall drug is a quirky little town that has some cool stuff, also there is a Minuteman Missile site nearby as well!
Thanks for the recommendation. We were able to spend some time visiting Minuteman missile site. I learned about a tour which required early booking. It was cool to see the missile and learn about the history from the park ranger.

Wall drug is a unique attraction and not to be missed.

SD has many good offering and I hope to be back to the area in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

Thanks for all the info. I'm happy to report our 2017 trip was a success. We travelled over 7740 miles with minor issues. We are now back home and trying to recouping.

Reactions: Mitch Pedersen

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

Sorry about the photobucket snafu (finding alternative free solution). I finally make a video of our 17 days crosscountry roadtrip. Here is my actual route driven.

startroute2.JPG returnroute.JPG
Short Version, 5 mins

Long Version 15 min.