• HTML tutorial

glueck25

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Napa, CA
Member #

Good morning everyone!

I just got my badge #OB4221 the other day, and I can't wait to put it on my Forester (only after the rain stops)!

This post is primarily to ask advice on vehicle modification. I just started a lease on my 2017 Subaru Forester Touring, which I plan on purchasing from Subaru after the lease is up. I am unsure of my ability modify my car since it is a lease... Does anyone else have experience with vehicle mods on a leased car?

Once this question is answered, I want to get started by doing a Subtle Solutions 1.5" Lift Kit (combo) + 2.0" RA Kit. Anyone have experience with Subtle Solutions or guidance on this product?

My next step is adding a couple single row LED light bars inside my front grille. I have measured it out and it looks like I can easily fit one 20" bar inside the upper grille, and two 10" bars on either side of the lower grille. I have done some initial research into LED lights and come up with Baja Designs, AUXBEAM Lighting, and RIGID Industries as possible makers.

Does anyone have suggestions for high quality, bomb-proof, single row LED light bars that won't destroy my wallet?
(I'm looking to spend something in the $500 range, but DEFINITELY less than $1000)

Thanks in advance!!

-Geoff
OB4221

glueck25

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Napa, CA
Member #

For the lights, invest in the extra money and go with Baja Designs.
Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Awesome thanks!

Any thoughts on what out-the-door cost I should shoot for with a list of two single-row 10" bars plus one single-row 20" bar plus hidden install?

(I would love to spend the time modifying my own car, but I'm a medical student with an 8-month-old baby... Time is one thing I absolutely don't have haha)

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Welcome Geoff! I don't have any experience with Subtle but I would recommend looking into ADF for your lifting needs and I'd highly recommend looking into Black Oak for your lighting needs. They're routinely rated top tier and they still charge less than Rigid or BD.

Reactions: glueck25

5280 TRail-Runner

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Denver
Awesome thanks!

Any thoughts on what out-the-door cost I should shoot for with a list of two single-row 10" bars plus one single-row 20" bar plus hidden install?

(I would love to spend the time modifying my own car, but I'm a medical student with an 8-month-old baby... Time is one thing I absolutely don't have haha)
Cost for the lights would be around $1100, maybe cheaper if you can find a special or deal. usually around the holidays would be the best time. As for install, its going to cost an arm and a leg. I would suggest doing it yourself to save yourself some money for other mods or find some other members here in the area who can help you. I'm sure some pizza and beer will suffice. I would offer to help but unfortunately we are not in the same state.

glueck25

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Napa, CA
Member #

Cost for the lights would be around $1100, maybe cheaper if you can find a special or deal. usually around the holidays would be the best time. As for install, its going to cost an arm and a leg. I would suggest doing it yourself to save yourself some money for other mods or find some other members here in the area who can help you. I'm sure some pizza and beer will suffice. I would offer to help but unfortunately we are not in the same state.
Haha damn - I figured it would be above the budget.. But who needs books anyway - I'm sure my next student loan disbursement will find it's way to Baja Designs..

And thanks for the advice! I'll definitely keep an eye out for deals and hopefully get them installed this summer!

glueck25

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Napa, CA
Member #

Welcome Geoff! I don't have any experience with Subtle but I would recommend looking into ADF for your lifting needs and I'd highly recommend looking into Black Oak for your lighting needs. They're routinely rated top tier and they still charge less than Rigid or BD.
Fantastic! Thanks so much - I'll definitely look into them!

glueck25

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Napa, CA
Member #

In case my intention wasn't entirely clear, this is what I'm hoping for :D

Inkedgrille_LI.jpg
The reason I'm going with one 20" and two 10" bars is there is a vertical support bar in the center of the diffuser on the bottom of the grille (seen in the below pic).

1465607284794247-large.jpg

Reactions: EscoTerrestrial

escape_the_paradigm

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Newark, CA
Member #

I just installed a 22 inch bar in the top grill, you can actually go as large as 24 with no issues in the top grill.
As for the bottom sections it still might be easier to go with a single long bar, the center divider will not really block out that much light.

Here is my current setup:

glueck25

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Napa, CA
Member #

I just installed a 22 inch bar in the top grill, you can actually go as large as 24 with no issues in the top grill.
As for the bottom sections it still might be easier to go with a single long bar, the center divider will not really block out that much light.

Here is my current setup:
Awesome setup! A couple questions: Who makes your 22" bar? What were the outside dimensions of your grille opening (yours is an XT, correct?)

I'll have to take a look at the opening on mine and see whether I can mount the lights behind that center divider!

escape_the_paradigm

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Newark, CA
Member #

Awesome setup! A couple questions: Who makes your 22" bar? What were the outside dimensions of your grille opening (yours is an XT, correct?)

I'll have to take a look at the opening on mine and see whether I can mount the lights behind that center divider!
The top grill opening is around 26 inches. Not sure on the bottom one as it can't be used for light on the XT model due to an air sensor that XT has there.
The bar I got is http://a.co/21WKWiM One note when looking for a bar is to try and find a light bar with a single row of LEDS as you want to keep the height at under 2 inches otherwise a lot of will be blocked by the bumper.

sledgehomer

Rank 0

Traveler I

Go check out LP Adventures and start drooling at the coolness. I have a '17 XT Touring. So, you can modify a lease vehicle but if you turn it in, it's up to the dealership if it improves the resale value or is detrimental. The residual value is already calculated at the time of purchase, so if you buy the vehicle at the end of the lease it doesn't matter what it looks like, they will format the purchase based on the residual value calculated at the time of purchase (based on down payment and estimated miles, etc.)

I don't think leds will be a negative unless you do a hack job with the wiring and switches.

Sent from my SM-T713 using OB Talk mobile app

sledgehomer

Rank 0

Traveler I

OP, are you not satisfied with the LED headlights and fogs? Having come from a Wrangler that was built up, I really never used all my AUX lights to their potential.

Personally I would get a front bar and mount lights to that, to minimize air flow restriction or I would get mounts at the hood by the A-pillar.

escape_the_paradigm

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Newark, CA
Member #

Go check out LP Adventures and start drooling at the coolness. I have a '17 XT Touring. So, you can modify a lease vehicle but if you turn it in, it's up to the dealership if it improves the resale value or is detrimental. The residual value is already calculated at the time of purchase, so if you buy the vehicle at the end of the lease it doesn't matter what it looks like, they will format the purchase based on the residual value calculated at the time of purchase (based on down payment and estimated miles, etc.)

I don't think leds will be a negative unless you do a hack job with the wiring and switches.

Also you can use the fuse door to mount the switch without drilling any holes or doing any permanent changes.

I used one of those small square zip tie holders with a sickie pad (Replaced the adhesive with 3M heavy duty double sided tape) and mounted the button to it with a zip tie. it is rock solid with no movement and is totally out of the way.