Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

Evening to all. Question. I currently have a shittybilt src roof rack & have only had it for a month over 2 years & have rust issues poor powder coating etc. smittybilt sucks is all I can say. New question just ordered my TJM yulara RTT & I have been looking at frontrunnner & rhino rack out of my favorites digging frontrunner as for the full size platform to hold tent plus gear. Any suggestions or guidance/ info would be GREATLY appreciated. Or other rack suggestions I am open to as well. Thanks so much fellow Overlanders & happy trails.

Reactions: Scrambler84

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

I have the Frontrunner. I like it, and would purchase it again. The first hole is the hardest to drill, but it isn’t bad. Do yourself a favor and buy a quality holesaw. I like that Frontrunner and Rhino Rack is the huge amount of accessories. And most Rhino Rack stuff fits on the Frontrunner. It’s also very easy to make your own stuff due to the t-slots.
Thanks for the info much appreciated. As far as the the first hole is that because of drilling a hole in a perfectly weather resistant hard top ? My thoughts are measure 3 times & double check & start drilling. Thanks again for the quick response. Also do you have any pictures of the frontrunner on your rig ?

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

It doesn’t matter how many times you measure, that first hole sucks. Lol. All you think about is if you’re wrecking a perfectly good hardtop. View attachment 107273View attachment 107274View attachment 107275
Totally understand. But on that note I was drilling the Jeep 3 days after purchase & my wife drove In The driveway & before she put her Jeep in park she said what in the hell are you doing :) reply just working on the Jeep love. Thanks for the Picts . Ordering frontrunner now. Thanks again.

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

Hmm... Just wanted to point the rhino rack backbone system out...
[/QUOT
Major turnoff about rhinorack was the 270 lb weight capacity. Tent is 110 lbs & I’m 250 lbs . Just my 2 cents. Very nice looking system though. Thanks for the feedback.

Yuma_1

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Walker
Member #

It probably doesn't matter at this point since it seems you've selected the Front Runner rack (which is excellent) but I believe the "Dynamic" (vehicle in motion) load on the Rhino Rack Pioneer platform (with Backbone) is around 260 lbs. "Static" (vehicle not in motion) load is around 800 lbs. Plenty of capacity for you, your tent, ...and a small polar bear?

Reactions: MazeVX

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

It probably doesn't matter at this point since it seems you've selected the Front Runner rack (which is excellent) but I believe the "Dynamic" (vehicle in motion) load on the Rhino Rack Pioneer platform (with Backbone) is around 260 lbs. "Static" (vehicle not in motion) load is around 800 lbs. Plenty of capacity for you, your tent, ...and a small polar bear?
Ok info much appreciated. Must have missed that on the 800 lbs on their website all I remember seeing was the 260 or I think 264 weight. Still am researching put my new tent on my smittybilt rack until I can get a different rack as I am done with smittybilt built crap & by no means do they stand by their warranty or such. Should have listened to a lot of fellas on here with the buy once cry once theory. Thanks again.

Yuma_1

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Walker
Member #

Ok info much appreciated. Must have missed that on the 800 lbs on their website all I remember seeing was the 260 or I think 264 weight. Still am researching put my new tent on my smittybilt rack until I can get a different rack as I am done with smittybilt built crap & by no means do they stand by their warranty or such. Should have listened to a lot of fellas on here with the buy once cry once theory. Thanks again.
Good Luck! You're definitely on the right track with either of those brands (Front Runner or Rhino Rack) in my opinion.

Yuma_1

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Walker
Member #

I chose the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform with Backbone system as it best suited my needs. I liked the accessories that were available from Rhino Rack and the low profile design of the Pioneer platform. I also liked that I could still remove the hardtop without removing the rack. I currently have a Batwing awning and a RTT mounted to it and have had zero issues.

Reactions: harpersJK

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

So they usually only say what the dynamic load is because the static load is almost 10 times more, more or less... Remember a single 6mm metric skrew has a dimension strength of about 1400 pounds and a lot more ultimate break... So I would easily trust it and just look at others... For example Brad from trail recon has the rhino rack with the rtt and look what he did on the trail with that.
The frontrunner still is stronger so you did nothing wrong, in fact they lifted the whole jeep with a crane hooked up to the roof rack

Scrambler84

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Nacogdoches, TX, USA
First Name
Ricardo
Last Name
Estrada
Evening to all. Question. I currently have a shittybilt src roof rack & have only had it for a month over 2 years & have rust issues poor powder coating etc. smittybilt sucks is all I can say. New question just ordered my TJM yulara RTT & I have been looking at frontrunnner & rhino rack out of my favorites digging frontrunner as for the full size platform to hold tent plus gear. Any suggestions or guidance/ info would be GREATLY appreciated. Or other rack suggestions I am open to as well. Thanks so much fellow Overlanders & happy trails.
I'm looking at roofracks thanks for the headsup on the not quality smittybuilt ones .
I'm leaning towards Gobi they are $$$ but worth it ! And my wife and I had a deal .
I wanted a Jeep 80yrs series Scrambler but she wanted something newer we settled on 2009JKU but I said ok but only if ya buy me roofrack of my choice. Yes us men get spoiled once in awhile lol !!

Reactions: SubeeBen

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

I'm looking at roofracks thanks for the headsup on the not quality smittybuilt ones .
I'm leaning towards Gobi they are $$$ but worth it ! And my wife and I had a deal .
I wanted a Jeep 80yrs series Scrambler but she wanted something newer we settled on 2009JKU but I said ok but only if ya buy me roofrack of my choice. Yes us men get spoiled once in awhile lol !!
Front runner roof racks & rhino are pretty sweet also. Still have the smittybilt built on the Jeep as I got a new TJM yulara rooftop tent but after tent is paid for new rack is next.

Scrambler84

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Nacogdoches, TX, USA
First Name
Ricardo
Last Name
Estrada
Front runner roof racks & rhino are pretty sweet also. Still have the smittybilt built on the Jeep as I got a new TJM yulara rooftop tent but after tent is paid for new rack is next.
Thanks I'm also not wanting to drill into my jeep if I can avoid that I'll take a look at those racks

vinlynam

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Los Angeles, ca
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Lynam
Hello,
Just purchased Maximus 3 rhino rack for jku 14. It's a rhino rack (obvious) but the parts to connect the rack to the Jeep are from Maximus in Detroit. Looks like a pretty well built set up. Take a look but I'll let you know when it comes in tomorrow if you would like.

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

Hello,
Just purchased Maximus 3 rhino rack for jku 14. It's a rhino rack (obvious) but the parts to connect the rack to the Jeep are from Maximus in Detroit. Looks like a pretty well built set up. Take a look but I'll let you know when it comes in tomorrow if you would like.
Yes please post it & doing research now

Reactions: vinlynam

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

With all due respect no clue how the Maximus is even compatible ? If you can enlighten me I am all open but from what I have found your comparing apples to tri tip.