Rank V

Member III

Smithville, Missouri, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Herron
Member #

The beginning of my 2017 F150 build. We went on a trip this past week to Colorado. Main places we went were the Great Sand Dunes, Garden of the Gods, and Pikes Peak with some driving through Pike National Forest. My truck is currently in land cruiser mode but will start moding the truck for overlanding.

Picture was taken after coming down Pikes Peak after a June snowstorm. It’s was pretty cool after I peeled my hands off the steering wheel. First time up and it was windy and snowing pretty hard.

Stock truck for now with a tonneau cover. Future mods coming as $$$$ permits are........

Shock upgrade
Tire upgrade
KB Voodoo bed rack

After these, gear, gear, and some other gear. Been a member for a few years, but finally went somewhere that I could take a picture of being somewhere besides our driveway.

Will update as things are added. Enjoy. Connect, Outfit, and Explore because Adventure is Necessary!!

Thank you to all for ideas and inspirations!!

Last edited:
Reactions: JCWages and Raul B

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

The beginning of my 2017 F150 build. We went on a trip this past week to Colorado. Main places we went were the Great Sand Dunes, Garden of the Gods, and Pikes Peak with some driving through Pikes Peak National Forest. My truck is currently in land cruiser mode but will start moding the truck for overlanding.

View attachment 101811

Picture was taken after coming down Pikes Peak after a June snowstorm. It’s was pretty cool after I peeled my hands off the steering wheel. First time up and it was windy and snowing pretty hard.

Stock truck for now with a tonneau cover. Future mods coming as $$$$ permits are........

Shock upgrade
Tire upgrade
KB Voodoo bed rack

After these, gear, gear, and some other gear. Been a member for a few years, but finally went somewhere that I could take a picture of being somewhere besides our driveway.

Will update as things are added. Enjoy. Connect, Outfit, and Explore because Adventure is Necessary!!

Welcome. Glad to see that the f150 platform is more regularly used now.

Reactions: mjherron

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Glad you got out and explored! Where to next and was there a specific situation where you felt a specfic mod or item would have been helpful?

mjherron

Rank V

Member III

First Name
Mark
Last Name
Herron
Member #

JCWages, thanks for the reply. As to what’s next, probably some local stuff but future plans are back to the Badlands area and Overland West Expo 2020. As of right now I can’t think of anything that was needed. Didn’t hit anything really technical or that the truck couldn’t handle as is. I am going to take off the front air dam. The forest road we took to Pike National Forest wasn’t that bad either. So when it level the truck and add tires they will be primarily enough to get us further out but not over the top as this is also my daily driver.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCWages

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

JCWages, thanks for the reply. As to what’s next, probably some local stuff but future plans are back to the Badlands area and Overland West Expo 2020. As of right now I can’t think of anything that was needed. Didn’t hit anything really technical or that the truck couldn’t handle as is. I am going to take off the front air dam. The forest road we took to Pike National Forest wasn’t that bad either. So when it level the truck and add tires they will be primarily enough to get us further out but not over the top as this is also my daily driver.
Sounds like a good plan. :) Skid plates and rock sliders are good mods for trucks given the long wheelbase. A basic setup like that will get you safely to a lot of places. You don't need a ton of fancy gear.

mjherron

Rank V

Member III

First Name
Mark
Last Name
Herron
Member #

Sounds like a good plan. :) Skid plates and rock sliders are good mods for trucks given the long wheelbase. A basic setup like that will get you safely to a lot of places. You don't need a ton of fancy gear.
JCWages, totally agree with fancy gear not needed. Until I do something to the factory skid plates the only one I may add is a front skid plate. I have been looking at sliders. I currently have the factory powered running boards and am hoping to incorporate the two but I haven’t been able to find anything. I have seen sliders with power steps in them but I don’t want to get rid of something I already have to just buy it again.

Gear wise I’m looking at recovery gear, Garmin inReach, and some camping gear.

Last edited:

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Definite thumbs up on recovery and safety related gear. :)

We had trouble getting a catering trailer down to a meadow on one of my preserves yesterday and to keep from damaging the trailer I pulled my traction boards off my rack and used them to bridge 2 rocks and reduce the drop off height. You never know when gear like that will come in handy. lol

Bilbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MBN
Any recommendations on skid plates? Steel versus aluminum... brand... Buying for a 2016 Tundra

mjherron

Rank V

Member III

First Name
Mark
Last Name
Herron
Member #

Bilbo, there are quite a few manufacturers out there especially for the Toyota Tundra.

Steel will cost less, weigh more, and take a beating.
Aluminum will cost more, weigh less, take a beating, but not as well as steel.

So it kind of depends on your needs I would guess.

Reactions: Bilbo

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Any recommendations on skid plates? Steel versus aluminum... brand... Buying for a 2016 Tundra
I've seen a lot of Tundras running RCI and Budbuilt skids but I don't have experience with either brand. The steel skids are nice and thick though. I prefer steel. Aluminum is fine for daily drivers who don't plan on needing skids but want some insurance. Steel is for those you know they will be smashing into rocks occassionally.

Reactions: Bilbo and mjherron

Dave1014

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Trempealeau, WI, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Graupmann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9HMA
As far as for F150s RCI is really the only current option. They work great though and are priced well

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Not many skids out there because most of us mock them up with cardboard. Then again, with plywood. Take the whole assembly to a metal shop. Pay cash, done.

I'll be starting a '17 250 SD, oil pan to trans brace plate, this fall.

mjherron

Rank V

Member III

First Name
Mark
Last Name
Herron
Member #

Small update. Got some free ground clearance and increased approach angle. Got rid of the front air dam. No noticed decrease in gas mileage. Currently 22.5 mpg. Have had the following items for a while and put them on recently.

First is the BuiltRight Industries Dash Mount.

Second is the ProClip USA phone mount.

Fourth is 1” B ball mounts for my iPad mini 5 with the X-grip and mount for a Garmin InReach Explorer+.

Third everything but the Garmin.

Still need to get the Garmin and a handheld ham radio but plenty of time for that here in the near future.

Attachments

JSeymour123

Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Seymour
The beginning of my 2017 F150 build. We went on a trip this past week to Colorado. Main places we went were the Great Sand Dunes, Garden of the Gods, and Pikes Peak with some driving through Pike National Forest. My truck is currently in land cruiser mode but will start moding the truck for overlanding.

View attachment 101811

Shock upgrade
Tire upgrade
KB Voodoo bed rack

I have a 2016 Platinum. Curious to know if you were thinking about any exterior mods (bumpers, grill, etc.). I have a leveling kit on mine, thinking about other upgrades.

mjherron

Rank V

Member III

First Name
Mark
Last Name
Herron
Member #

I have a 2016 Platinum. Curious to know if you were thinking about any exterior mods (bumpers, grill, etc.). I have a leveling kit on mine, thinking about other upgrades.
Long list small wallet, JSeymour123. Will concentrate on the level and tires when the ones I have give out. Probably after the winter or before depending upon how good or bad our winter might be. What type of level you running? What other mods do you have planned for your rig? Curious as we could learn from each other.

JSeymour123

Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Seymour
Long list small wallet, JSeymour123. Will concentrate on the level and tires when the ones I have give out. Probably after the winter or before depending upon how good or bad our winter might be. What type of level you running? What other mods do you have planned for your rig? Curious as we could learn from each other.
I’m considering a “roof tent” (mounted over the bed) or longer term maybe doing a truck camper. Haven’t found a lot of good options that meet the weight requirements of an F-150 (and they are so expensive). Other than that thinking about a little bit of lighting, maybe some bumpers and an off-road GPS. Like you said, trying to stage all of it and stretch the dollar!

mjherron

Rank V

Member III

First Name
Mark
Last Name
Herron
Member #

I’m considering a “roof tent” (mounted over the bed) or longer term maybe doing a truck camper. Haven’t found a lot of good options that meet the weight requirements of an F-150 (and they are so expensive). Other than that thinking about a little bit of lighting, maybe some bumpers and an off-road GPS. Like you said, trying to stage all of it and stretch the dollar!
Have you checked out Brad-F150’s setup? KBVoodoo bed rack with an iKamper tent. Thought about bumpers to, but with the tech package there a lot of moving to be done and I have the 3.5 Ecoboost. Love the engine but a lot to deal with the intercooler.