2017 F-250 Superduty and 2018 Ram Power Wagon

• HTML tutorial

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

I finally got around to getting the lift on the truck as the first step in my F-250 overlanding/camping/hunt build. Between Hurricane Harvey, grad school, and medical setbacks, it's been a rough year and those delays put me back a few months, but better late than never!

I went with the BDS 4" radius arm kit with Fox 2.5 remote coil overs. The coil overs provide a superb ride and will allow me some adjustability as I continue my build and add weight to the truck with other modifications and accessories. I opted for the dual steering stabilizer with Fox 2.0 shocks to help tame the front end and steering with the added weight and stress of the 37's up front. The steering is more precise and controlled now than it was when stock.

Out back I added Sulastic Shackles to help clean up the rear end ride. If you have ever ridden in the back seat of an unloaded Superduty then you know it can be a kidney killer, the Sulastic Shackles take most of those bumps and jars out of the equation, probably the best $400 a Superduty or HD truck owner can spend on their truck, lifted or stock.

For the tires I went a different route than I normally do. I usually equip my trucks with a mud terrain since it sees a lot of this south Texas clay mud when at the ranch and farm. While they've always gotten the job done, they create a lot more noise and vibrations and tend to wear out a lot faster. Seeing how this truck will see a lot of highway miles and travel down unpaved roads more so than thick caliche mud, I decided to go with something more tame, yet still capable of getting me out of those sticky messes I might occasionally find myself in. While they are heavier than I'd like, I went with the Toyo Open Country RT in a 37x12.50R20 and I couldn't be happier. They are very quiet while traveling at 75mph in comparison to the M/T's I've run in the past and they come with a 45,000 mile mileage warranty. I have yet to put them to the test off-road, but I am sure that will change very soon.

For the wheels I wanted something different than what I see on 90% of the trucks on the street and a departure my from my usual choice, black. Nearly all aftermarket wheels on trucks these days are black in color and while I myself like the look, I feel as if it's getting a little played out and it was time for something new. I have always been a fan of bronze colored wheels since the the first time I saw a set of bronze BBS wheels on a Gen 1 WRX. I was concerned the color would contrast too much with the Caribou Brown bottom paint, but I think it's close enough to not contrast it, yet different enough to stand out in a good way. The wheels are 20x10" Raceline 934BZ Clutch model in Bronze, they have a -19mm offset and 4.75" backspace. With the King Ranch factory flares the tread just barely protrudes from underneath the wheel well/flares, helping to keep the side of the truck cleaner than a wider option.

I'll be adding remote controlled rear airbags in the coming weeks to help with towing needs and to level out heavier loads in the bed when traveling overland. I am torn between adding a hard shell camper with a roof rack or an exposed rack like a Leitner rack. I need a place to mount my RTT, but I have to decide which option will be easier to live with and whether form or function are more important in my decision. Maybe an adventure/expedition trailer? I'll be adding a bed slide system of some sort (gotta decide one which make/model) soon as well to mount my storage drawers/fridge/kitchen/etc., along with an aftermarket front bumper with 12K Warn Zeon winch and Baja Designs LED lights.

I plan to keep this thread updated as the build continues.

Stock, prior to lift

Post lift install

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

So I think I have stumbled upon the perfect solution for my bed/rack needs. I've always liked the idea of the Leitner Rack, but the leg supports run to the floor of the bed eliminating a bed cover option which I need for security and out of the weather storage of my luggage and other items when traveling and simply on a daily basis. I fear the hard shell will crack over time and it's most certainly the most fragile option for off-road use. The bed cover swapped for a soft topper when needed is a great and reasonably priced option, but it still doesn't provide me with a place to mount my RTT and I am not sure I want it on the roof of the cab, lots of wind noise.

Nuthouse Industries of Ohio makes an aluminum rack called the Tech 2 Series Expedition Rack, it's very similar to the Leitner yet better in a lot of ways too. It has the option for removable cross bars that sit flush with the top of the rack, not above it, which I think is much better for keeping it below the cab and it leaves no bars sticking out beyond the sides of the rack. In my opinion this provides a cleaner look, less things to snag, and a quieter ride since it tucks behind the cab for more streamlined aerodynamics. They offer all of the side mount options for Leitner accessories (Maxtrax/Rotopax/Storage containers), but the biggest difference is their bed cover solutions. They offer a custom roll-n-lock coil setup that works like a Retrax, they also have removable and fixed hard covers capable of holding hundreds of pounds of static weight, both flush with the bed sides or raised for more clearance for items below like fridges on slides etc.

They offer lighting packages for the rack as well and a 2 ft shelf that rides above the bed for carrying more accessories. I like that it is custom built to spec for my individual truck and individually customizable to my specific needs. It's a bit more than I had told the other half I was planning on spending, but it appears to be the best solution for my needs and not much more than the hard shell/roof rack/bed slide option we were leaning towards prior. I'm not 100% certain this is the route I am going at the moment as it would certainly make my truck 100% committed to the Overland lifestyle 100% of the time, but it also still allows the secured use of my bed and a ready to go platform for my RTT and all of my accessories and gear.

Here's a recent Tech 2 Series Expedition Rack build they did for a Baja UTV chase truck, it spec'd pretty closely to how I'd build mine, less some of the light bars and obviously the crane lol.

Reactions: T.Shack and Jimmy P

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

So after a long debate and many a test drive we scrapped the idea of the TRD Pro 4Runner for our second vehicle and ended up coming home with a 2018 Ram Power Wagon. The misses got so accustomed to driving the F-250 that she found herself more comfortable in a full-size truck than she did in a mid-size SUV. Instead of a second diesel HD truck like we set out to consider we ended up with the Power Wagon simply because it's such a great overland option right out of the box with the front/rear lockers, winch, and electronic disconnecting front sway bar.

These trucks are harder to come by than even the Ford Raptor and I could only find a six available within 350 miles. We ended up bringing home a mid-level trim, my reasoning there beyond price point, was to have a rig that wasn't so bogged down with electrical gadgetry like the F-250. I wanted one of the trucks to be more spartan and a valid option for a less complex overland rig. There's still plenty that could go wrong on the truck, but it's less advanced and than the F-250. After driving both for a few weeks now, I can honestly say that there are things that I enjoy about both and there are glaring issues with each as well. I will always prefer a diesel in a HD truck, but I've come to appreciate having another gas engine in the house, it's nice to have options.

My plans for it are 37's on AEV Salta HD wheels, Thuren 1.5" front coils, Dethloff engine and trans skid, White Knuckle Offroad sliders, Kinzer Offroad front PW bumper, and an exhaust upgrade. Im still torn on exactly how we plan to tackle the rack on this truck, but rest assured that it'll have some way of carrying a RTT and other off-road tools.

This is how she sits at the moment. Shorter antenna, bed liner, tint, vinyl decal for the RAM letters in the grille, and a Factor55 Flatlink Expert shackle.

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

A little update for the Power Wagon!

Tires and wheels have been ordered, they should be in later this week, if not then they will be in towards the beginning of next week. I ended up going with Toyo RT's once again after much debate, we have enjoyed them thoroughly on the F-250 so I saw no reason to change things up in that department. Tires are 37x13.50R18 on 18x9" Method Vex wheels in Titanium to match the Power Wagon badges. If my schedule cooperates I hope to find time to get the Thuren +1.5" front lift coils on along with an alignment so that I'll only need minimal trimming for the 37's to fit.

My rack has been finalized with Nuthouse and I will be trekking up to Ohio in June to have it installed. This should be the rack that Tom has on his truck at Expo West next month, so it'll be cool to see it via pics/video before I actually get to lay hands on her. For those of you considering a rack or any other product from Tom and his crew at Nuthouse I must say that I can't recommend him enough. He's an extremely busy man, but he still finds time to personally discuss matters of the build with me and give honest opinions without trying to upsell you or sway your mind. In our interactions he comes off as a salt of the earth type who truly enjoys what he does and simply wants to make his customers happy by allowing them to enhance their utility and experiences in the great outdoors with his products. I look forward to meeting him in a few months!

I am still leaning towards a Kinzer front bumper because I really don't want to relocate the winch to the bumper, but I reserve the right to change my mind here until I see the Expo One bumper on another PW build. I had every intention of running the King steering stabilizer from Thuren, but reports of it forcing the steering to the right have led me to back pedal from that for now. Perhaps I'll add one the dual stabilizers from BDS or Icon?!

I've all but lost my F-250 Monday through Friday as the lady friend refuses to drive the Power Wagon until it has sliders, so it's safe to say that I'll be DD'ing the PW for foreseeable future. I really should get on ordering those WhiteKnukle sliders but something else always comes up just when I am about to pull the trigger.

Stock and all cleaned up for a weekend at the ranch Turkey hunting.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

Thuren +1.5" front coils went on this morning. It took a whopping 20 mins to put them in. They netted +1.325" of lift over stock height. It definitely needs a bigger size tire now. It rides as good as stock if not slightly better. I plan to replace the rear coils and add some King shocks in the next year.

I was hoping that my wheels and tires would be in and ready to go on by today, but Method is slow, as always, about getting things shipped out of California. I hope to have them on sometime next week.

Before

After

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

Wheels and tires are in (18x9" Titanium Method Vex wheels and 37x13.50x18 Toyo RT's), they will be going on Friday morning! I was nervous about the Method Vex wheels in general because I had never seen them in person and I wasn't sure that the Titanium color would work well with the similarly colored Power Wagon badges, but in the end I think it works. Looking forward to getting them on!

Reactions: Live2huntAZ

Tbell18

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dubuque, Iowa
Member #

Love the direction these trucks are heading! Great job so far. Cant wait for more long term reviews on these trucks as im inbetween the two for my next truck.

Reactions: Tex68w

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

Wheels and tires went on last Friday afternoon and then I parked it and left town for the weekend. Unfortunately Discount Tire dropped the ball and ordered chrome lug nuts and they proceeded to gouge a couple of the wheels upon mounting them. I am currently waiting on the replacement wheels and lug nuts. I am happy to report that there wasn't any rubbing on flat ground, but I did do a little trimming to keep the tires out of the back fender liner while under compression. Pretty sure I will be removing the center caps and painting the hubs as well, I am not really feeling the large center caps.

I'll post up detailed pics once the wheel/lug issues have been rectified, but for now here's a little teaser.

Reactions: Kirk Kinnell

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

Black lug nuts came in and I got around to painting the hubs and removing the center caps. I think it looks a million times better now!