2016 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro - Brutus

• HTML tutorial

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

Hello! Since i've already started my project "Ambo" build thread, I figured i'd go ahead and start this one as well. This might actually be a fitting spot for it as there really is no good spot over at Expo Portal. Over there you either have Toyota Taco, Hilux, 4Runner or Domestic Fullsize.

I bought this truck in October 2016, during the Expo East rainout. Truck is currently stock and so far has treated me well on the 10k miles i've put on it and four expo trips.

The day I brought Brutus home:

Year/Make/Model
  • 2016 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro crew max.
  • The TRD Pro model from Toyota offers a couple of features not available on other Tundra models.
    • 38 gallon extended range fuel tank.
    • TRD Tuned springs with 2.5" remote-reservoir Bilstein stocks for 2" lift.
    • 18" TRD Pro alloy wheels wrapped in 275/65R18 Michelin LTX A/T 2.
    • 1/4" Aluminum front skid plate.
    • Stainless steel dual exhaust.
    • 4.30 differential gear ratio.
Exploring Parts of the HNF:

Current Mods
  • 295/70R18 Cooper Tires STT Pros
Future Plans
  • SDHQ Hidden winch mount
  • 12K - 16K Winch
  • Bed cap or bed rack system
  • RTT
  • Decked bed drawer system
  • Recovery gear (straps, winch gear, traction boards, air compressor)
  • Gas $$$ to get out explore

I'll keep the thread alive and updated as mods or "things" happen in the life of Brutus.

Last edited:

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

We popped her cherry not long after you got it... I was just waiting for it to get some major pin striping at the Badlands, but she squeezed through. I don't think you got scratched up then did ya? @WJ_David was there too in his WJ, sadly he busted a brake line on that outing.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

Haha, this truck has been scratched all to hell. I've been through HNF a dozen times, Daniel Boone National Forest, Dirt Devil, and Land Between the Lakes. I just had it detailed last week, which got a majority of the scratches out, but it has it's battle scars. I did get some scratches the Badlands, but not near as many as driving through the woods.

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Very Nice. I love Toyotas, I just haven't owned one yet. I just test drove a '16 4-Runner and I liked everything except the lack of power. Next week when I get time I'll go back and drive the Tundra's. :0) Love your truck.

Reactions: MidwestOverlanders

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

Thanks man! The Tundras are great trucks. They wont win any awards for innovations or being economically sound, but they are simple and built well. We recently had our first child, and with the size of the cab on these crew maxs, I can honestly say that I'd have a difficult time driving anything else.

JayTwo100

Rank II

Advocate II

My girls parents up a 16' at the beginning of the year, that thing is such a beast! Unfortunately they aren't into off roading or anything so she's a pavement princess but they are very nice rigs and I can't wait to see how the build comes along!

Reactions: MidwestOverlanders

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

So, the idea bed setup for us is a bit out of reach at the moment with my wife on maternity leave. Got the quote for $4300 for an ARE CX HD with lift. Still on the list of future mods, but this one will have to wait until next year.

Future setup goal:

Messages Image(1673111568).png

In the meantime, we really wanted something to cover the bed for our upcoming Red River Gorge trip. So I went with a soft try-fold tonneau cover from Tyger for $206 shipped on Amazon.

20160706_201019.jpg

20160706_200559.jpg

This will allow us to get all the baby stuff out of the cab and into the bed with the rest of the gear. Not a bad setup while we pinch pennies. Overall happy with the cover and setup. We'll see how it holds up.

Reactions: Pindal and Glatozen

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

Just got back a couple days ago from P&P Engineering with a set of prototype sliders for a crew max. These things are stout as hell and can't wait for the paint to cure to go try them out.

The mounting is different from anything that i've seen in the Yota world. P&P currently makes production Nissan offroad gear, but are venturing into the Toyota world starting out with the Tundra. Here in the near future we'll be building a bed rack, skids, and front/rear bumpers for the truck.

Photo dump, you've been warned!

P&P Sliders
by Cody Ash, on Flickr

P&P Sliders
by Cody Ash, on Flickr

P&P Sliders
by Cody Ash, on Flickr

P&P Sliders
by Cody Ash, on Flickr

P&P Sliders
by Cody Ash, on Flickr

P&P Sliders
by Cody Ash, on Flickr

P&P Sliders
by Cody Ash, on Flickr

P&P Sliders
by Cody Ash, on Flickr

P&P Sliders
by Cody Ash, on Flickr

Needless to say, i'm pretty happy with how they turned out. P&P is based out of a small town near Warsaw, Indiana. It's currently a two man show with the help of another Fabricator from time to time as they share a shop together. These guys went above and beyond what I wouldve ever expected them to during the build process. They also asked for my input during the entire build.

If you have any questions let me know. Once the paint is completely cured I plan to slap them back on the truck and go give them a test run.

Reactions: Scout

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
Was just in Warsaw a couple weeks ago. i will have to keep these guys in mind.

Those look great and should function awesome!

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
Just got back a couple days ago from P&P Engineering with a set of prototype sliders for a crew max. These things are stout as hell and can't wait for the paint to cure to go try them out.

The mounting is different from anything that i've seen in the Yota world. P&P currently makes production Nissan offroad gear, but are venturing into the Toyota world starting out with the Tundra. Here in the near future we'll be building a bed rack, skids, and front/rear bumpers for the truck.

Needless to say, i'm pretty happy with how they turned out. P&P is based out of a small town near Warsaw, Indiana. It's currently a two man show with the help of another Fabricator from time to time as they share a shop together. These guys went above and beyond what I wouldve ever expected them to during the build process. They also asked for my input during the entire build.

If you have any questions let me know. Once the paint is completely cured I plan to slap them back on the truck and go give them a test run.
I need a set of these!

Just traded my 2009 Tubndra for a 2016 crewmax last night!