2016 Toyota Tundra Multi Phase Build

• HTML tutorial

CFTAdventures

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Falling Waters, WV
Member #

Alright so my wife and I our on the fence with whether we should put 37s on the truck. Her concern is that it will add another 2"( inch from coils, inch from tires) to total height and it will make it harder to get into the bed and make it less livable. My thought is its 2 " that we gain in ground clearance and it will looks so much better!

Looking to get any other input? Thanks!

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Alright so my wife and I our on the fence with whether we should put 37s on the truck. Her concern is that it will add another 2"( inch from coils, inch from tires) to total height and it will make it harder to get into the bed and make it less livable. My thought is its 2 " that we gain in ground clearance and it will looks so much better!

If it were me, I'd stick with the smaller tire. I'm not sure where you travel, but I can't imagine many places that you couldn't access with 35s where you could with 37s. Don't forget the added weight of the spare wheel on the rear bumper, as well as having to lift a 37 off and on the rear bumper. When I was deciding what tire size to go with in my new build, knowing that our plans of adventure will involve many hundreds and thousands of miles both on and off road I went with the smallest acceptable tire that I figured would get the job done without compromising too much one direction or another. I had 33s on my Xterra and there was not a single place I could not access with those tires. I went with the 295 70 18 for the Tundra knowing they'd offer decent on highway manners, and work well on long gravel roads and offroad travel as well. It'd a tough call working for against function sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

CFTAdventures

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Falling Waters, WV
Member #

Very good points. Its going to be a tough decision, I would be going with the same tire the Nitto Ridge Grappler and it's interesting because the 37s are a 10 ply tire while the 35s are a 12. Also there is only a 8 pound difference in weight but I understand the huge impact on rolling resistance.

Width doesn't change either still a 12.5" tire. The re gear to 4.88 will put the shifts back in alignment.

Really got to think this purchase through!

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

They will only add another 1" to your height not 2"

OilSlik

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Traverse City, MI
Member #

Definitely tough call. I have 33s and am thinking 35s as well. But 37s are a different ball game it seems. Weight standpoint seems reasonable...and you have the 4.88 gears to deal with it. I think it comes down to how much you lose in the wheel well and how the tires balance the lift. Personally I think my 33s look too small on my truck...but 37s would flood my wheel wells and my stock bumper won't handle it right now. You have 6"+ lift so I say go for it. 7" with 37s is very nice package!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app

CFTAdventures

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Falling Waters, WV
Member #

Here is a 7" with 37s.
2FC04940-BAEC-44BF-A101-BA18CA2D5BBF.JPG @OilSlik See I'm leaning the same way with the 35s looking a little too small with the lift I currently have. I either need to drop the truck a little to fill in the wheel wells or put the 37s on.

Reactions: Jimmy P

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Here is a 7" with 37s.
View attachment 33276 @OilSlik See I'm leaning the same way with the 35s looking a little too small with the lift I currently have. I either need to drop the truck a little to fill in the wheel wells or put the 37s on.
Ya thats way too tall. I know its more work but massaging the fenderwell is well worth the effort to be able to tuck that larger tire with less lift.

CFTAdventures

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Falling Waters, WV
Member #

I went that route when I had the 3" coil spacer, I had to cut the bumper caps and remove the wheel wells. It hurts because I just replaced the Bunper caps and wheel wells!

But I completely understand what your saying and the thought of trying to keep the center of gravity down is also a big concern.

OilSlik

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Traverse City, MI
Member #

Fine line between redneck vs overlander isn't it...I'm not so sure the 7" is too tall, but understand how you have to work out of the back of the truck and can't have it too high. There are times I think I want 7"...but will stay at 5" and upgrade to 35s when I get a new bumper to allow 'em. My 33s rub a bit on stock bumper as it is.

OilSlik

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Traverse City, MI
Member #

Installed the aFe cold air intake last night...and man does that thing sound great! Very noticeable response as well! Not sure I'm getting the HP advertised, but don't care. It's is an improvement without a doubt.

CFTAdventures

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Falling Waters, WV
Member #

I may be going that same route. Wait and order the front and rear bumper and see what I can get away with when they are on maybe be able to lower a bit and get the larger tire on.

The CAI on these trucks sound great! Felt like slightly better throttle response with it on!

Teh_Viking

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ventura Ca
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Roosendahl
Member #

Nice build.

How do you like the light bar on the roof rack? if you only had that one would it be enough light for low speed cruising?

Im with you on the debate 35 vs 37, I have gone back and forth a few times. 37's look beefy but are heavy and can kill the mileage a little. Since your putting 4.88's in, that makes the decision even harder. Price is almost the same between the two sometimes.