2016 T4R Trail

• HTML tutorial

JusticeZ33

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Build goal is to build an overland vehicle that is able to aid me in getting to remote photography spots and to explore the world. This is my first truck build but I have worked on race cars for many years.

List of modifications so far:
- ABR Diff breather kit
- 275/70 17 KO2s
- CBI Hood mount Ditch Light brackets
- OP7 Ditch light
- OP7 interior LED strips
- XenonDepot HID low beams
- Toytec Ultimate Kit
- Total Chaos UCA
- Metal Tech Rock Sliders
- Warn VR10000 Winch
- GOBI Stealth Rack w/ accessories
- Demello Offroad Front Bumper
- Yakima Skybox 16
- sPOD HD
- WeBoost Cell signal booster
- 40" Extreme LED light bar
- 2x 6" Extreme LED lights
- 3" Extreme LED fog lights

Loadout Kit
- MaxTrax
- Hi Lift Jack
- ARB Snatch strap
- Smittybilt hitch and bow shackle
- SuperFlow Air Compressor
- ARB Deflator
- Self build medical kit
- Navigation Tablet
- InReach
- Custom Splice Soft Shackles

Current Picture of build:

NevadaRally-01_WEB_1000LR001.jpg

Last edited:

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Looking good.

If you do plan on putting an aftermarket front bumper (or even a rear)... get your suspension dialed in specifically for that extra weight or you will really find out what nose dive is all about, lol. For instance.

Does the T4R Trail have a rear locking differential? A-trac?

Reactions: stoney126

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Looking good.

If you do plan on putting an aftermarket front bumper (or even a rear)... get your suspension dialed in specifically for that extra weight or you will really find out what nose dive is all about, lol. For instance.

Does the T4R Trail have a rear locking differential? A-trac?
Yes to both.

Reactions: Winterpeg

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

So I guess I will add my own build thread to the archives of Overland Bound. I recently traded my Audi S4 for a 2016 T4R Trail. This is my first truck and I would say its a far departure from what I normally would build. Gutted out race cars are a bit more my style, but I wanted a car that could help fuel my other passion, landscape photography.

With that, the goal of this vehicle is to get me to the epic and not frequently photographed vistas. I am preparing to move to California from the East Coast and want to make the most of the outdoors. The T4R is meant to be my mobility to a base camp location and where I sleep.

With that I picked up the truck and got to work. Starting off with the easy stuff.

- Blacking out badges
- Removing the side steps

I was really amazed by how much simply removing the side steps changed the look of the car. The photo does not do it justice.

While this really isn't "modding" yet, I have lots in the works, some of it already on the way. New stuff coming soon:

- Metal Tech Rock sliders
- Nav Tablet and InReach
- Some Recovery gear

Debating whether to just do stock sized KO2 tires and a hidden winch kit, or OME suspension kit, wheels, and 33" KO2s. I would like to get rid of the nose dive on breaking but at the same time I dont want to buy a suspension kit only to have to change the springs when I add after market bumpers...then again, maybe all of this really does not matter for what I want the car to do.

Awesome! We just picked up a 2016 Trail too. Can't wait to see the mods. I really want to replace those steps too but the replacements/sliders I want are $$$.
Where about in California are you moving to? We have a pretty solid group outo here from North Central and South.

Rattlesnake44

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hawthorne, CA
Member #

Great choice on the 4Runner! but maybe I'm biased as I too drive a 2015 Trail :sunglasses:. Have fun with your build and stay in touch, there's a lot of great 4Runners out here in California and we try and do meet ups and Toyota runs quite often. Going out with a group can be a good way to learn the tails in your area and provide support as you learn the capabilities of your vehicle. #keepitwild

JusticeZ33

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Where about in California are you moving to? We have a pretty solid group outo here from North Central and South.
Im moving to Monterey hopefully in December. Really looking forward to being on the West Coast after years in the East. I will definitely be looking to cruz with the group and get good shots.

I just dropped the order for the Metal Tech rock sliders. They had a set ready to go so I should have them in a week or two.

Reactions: SLO Rob

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Debating whether to just do stock sized KO2 tires and a hidden winch kit, or OME suspension kit, wheels, and 33" KO2s. I would like to get rid of the nose dive on breaking but at the same time I dont want to buy a suspension kit only to have to change the springs when I add after market bumpers...then again, maybe all of this really does not matter for what I want the car to do.
We had the same concerns when we began our 2014 TE build. We ended up installing 275/70 KOs and ran that with the stock suspension for a while (no rubbing). Then we opted to install the Icon stage 2 suspension which allowed us to adjust the front end as we added weight. This combination worked out perfect for us in the long run. We are still running 275's with the suspension lift because we prefer travel with zero rub. The 285's will rub a bit at full flex (although some would argue this point) and since we tow a trailer, the 275's are a better match for fuel economy and transmission strain.

Awesome rig! Can't wait to see where you go with it!

Reactions: ceh527 and Steve

JusticeZ33

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

@Stingtwelve, thats good information. i had not considered cutting the difference with 275s. Good to know that that size fits the stock suspension. Did the spare tire still fit into the stock location?

JusticeZ33

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Installed the ARB Differential Breather kit, put some badges on, and installed a tablet mount.

I wont post a detailed sequence for the breather kit since there are so many out there but I mounted the breather in the engine bay and ran the line along the inner left frame rail. I think the hardest part of this install was getting some of the zip ties to close in those two finger spots.

I spun the ARB cover later so it sits straight.

I also received a few recovery items and started building that kit as well as started a moral patch roof.

Dropped an order today for some KO2s based on @stringtwelve recommendation. On the down side, MetalTech told me they could not count and did not have anymore sliders on the shelf so it will be a longer wait for those. I will post pictures tomorrow of the tablet mount.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Must order a trial badge! Loving the build up so far.

JusticeZ33

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

@stringtwelve I bought the ARB kit from Amazon. The ARB one has 4 ports you can run lines to. I only used the one for the rear dif.

@stoney126 Thank. Some guy is 3D printing them on the T4R forums.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/R33EXWH6U/trail-emblem-revision-02?productConfiguration=55941395&etId=58571877&utm_source=automated-contact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=order-late-ship&utm_content=2&awc=6920_1466909761_643a31ab605920b6c91f28d42e5f6ef2

The colored ones fade so I clear coated the shit out of mine...we will see if they hold up. If not, i will just plasti-dip them.

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

@stringtwelve I bought the ARB kit from Amazon. The ARB one has 4 ports you can run lines to. I only used the one for the rear dif.

@stoney126 Thank. Some guy is 3D printing them on the T4R forums.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/R33EXWH6U/trail-emblem-revision-02?productConfiguration=55941395&etId=58571877&utm_source=automated-contact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=order-late-ship&utm_content=2&awc=6920_1466909761_643a31ab605920b6c91f28d42e5f6ef2

The colored ones fade so I clear coated the shit out of mine...we will see if they hold up. If not, i will just plasti-dip them.
Hmm I'm gonna go with black but maybe add some clear coat to keep em from greying.

JusticeZ33

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Got the navigation suite set up. The Tablet is mounted using a gooseneck mount that bolts into the passenger seat rail bolt. I was afraid it might get in the way of the passenger but it does not and actually swivels nicely for the passenger to use. If you have Husky floor mats though, that corner by the seat rail will never sit flat as the gooseneck protrudes a little in front of the rail. The InReach is mounted on Velcro...not sure if i really like it there in case the airbag deploys but for now it works...if I turn the InReach horizontal I do not think it will interfere with the airbag.

The Tablet is just a cheep $100 piece of crap that i really dont care if it gets stolen or breaks from shock. Apps displayed are MyRadar on the tablet and Trail Offroad on the phone.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Looking good! Our tablet install was a total game-changer. We love it! Good to see a delorme strapped in and ready to go too.

JusticeZ33

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Decided to take the rig out for a few hours in the local area. Problem with the East Coast is there really isnt "remote". Just farm country. Took the Chesapeake Tunnel and nearly passed out when the toll lady said it would cost $15 one way. Swiped the card and got across. The first country road I could dive onto I took and traveled along the coast looking for nothing in particular.

Drove onto some farm roads that now thinking about it I am pretty sure were Private...but they didnt have any signs and no one bothered me. I had meant to take a lot of photos but alas, I forgot the memory cards on my desk at home so only had my cell phone to take photos with. Only spent a few hours driving around and I did find some cool spots but not sure I would do it again for $30 in tolls.

JusticeZ33

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Thanks. The tablet is a really nice tool...i used it a lot today actually to help with navigating off a bigger map.