Advocate III

Denver, CO
First Name
Arin
Last Name
Hanohano
Member #

Hello all,

I've perused this site many times before in search of useful information for my overlanding ventures, and now it's my go-to for most things, so thank you guys for the plethora of info and wisdom. That being said, I decided to finally make an account and become a member. Go me!

Recently moving to Colorado from Mississippi last summer, I started delving into the overlanding realm and it's been awesome and enlightening. I'm an extreme novice to OL'ing but have experience camping and being in the outdoors.

2016 Ram Rebel(gun metal gray):

Stock Adjustable Air Ride Suspension
35" Nitto Trail Grappler G2's
Mopar Skid Plate
Leitner Designs ALS Rack:
-Gear Podx1(converted into dual battery station to power LED Basecamp lighting, RTT lights controlled by a 3 gang rocker panel w/ USB outlets, and to power fridge)
-Rotopax X2(2gal fuel and water)
-Pope Overland Expedition: Chugach RTT
Yakima Roof Rack:
Quick fist x2(splitting axe and shovel)
Ram Ipad Pro Mount(for Gaia Navigation)

IMG_0154.JPGIMG_0122.JPGIMG_0124.JPG

Last edited:

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Nice rig! Looks like you're off to a great start. The advantage of being familiar with camping is you already have a good idea of what is truly helpful vs. decorative frills for showing off. :)

Ram Rebel Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Denver, CO
First Name
Arin
Last Name
Hanohano
Member #

Nice rig! Looks like you're off to a great start. The advantage of being familiar with camping is you already have a good idea of what is truly helpful vs. decorative frills for showing off. :)
Thanks man! She's definitely a work in progress.

Meeting people in the community has been awesome. I just need to find more locals to get out there with.

Reactions: JCWages

RebelJoe

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hollister CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Gularte
Member #

Thanks man! She's definitely a work in progress.

Meeting people in the community has been awesome. I just need to find more locals to get out there with.
Nice truck! I was reading your post and saw you are running 35” Nitto’s with factory rims. Do they rub in any of the suspension modes? Did you have to use the links or lift it any?

Ram Rebel Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Denver, CO
First Name
Arin
Last Name
Hanohano
Member #

Nice truck! I was reading your post and saw you are running 35” Nitto’s with factory rims. Do they rub in any of the suspension modes? Did you have to use the links or lift it any?
Thnx man.

Well here's the thing, my truck was hit in the front bumper last year on the passenger side corner. It dented that silver lower front panel, knocked the tow hook off, and I lost some of the fasteners to the front passenger side fenders and it sorta has hung there. So yes it rubs only on the front right, but if they were properly installed, they wouldn't.

I've ordered all those OEM bumper components, and $250 in shipping charges later, they'll be here in about a week. Gotta order the vice hidden winch mount before I install it. I'm Only taking that bumper off once if I can help it.

Coolhand

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miami Lakes, FL
Member #

Would love to see more pics of your roof rack setup man, I don't want to drill into my roof. Great looking truck BTW.

Ram Rebel Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Denver, CO
First Name
Arin
Last Name
Hanohano
Member #

Would love to see more pics of your roof rack setup man, I don't want to drill into my roof. Great looking truck BTW.
I appreciate it man.. So roof rack wise I just have the Yakima Load Warrior mounted to the Yakima Crossbars. They have a clamping mechanism that goes in the door jams. Works for what I need it for. You can see my sloppy handi work for the rubber pieces under the mounts. I lost the ones that came with the rack so I used some rubber garage door seals [emoji23]

The bedrack is the Leitner ACS rack. You do have to do some drilling into the bed. On it I have some rotopax and the leitner Gear Pod I converted to my second battery box and put a control panel for the lights.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoarinRow

kiloxraysierra

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kitchener, ON, Canada
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Sinclair
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3KXS
Good looking rig!

Can you provide some more details on your dual battery setup? Is it connected to the starter battery, or strictly charged from solar or shore power?

I’m looking to do something similar in my 2017 Ram 1500.

Ram Rebel Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Denver, CO
First Name
Arin
Last Name
Hanohano
Member #

Good looking rig!
I appreciate it man! Oh and to everyone else, sorry about the pics, for some reason the OB app isn’t allowing me to post pics directly from my phone, so I had to download Tapatalk, and hopefully that’ll resolve the issue.

Can you provide some more details on your dual battery setup? Is it connected to the starter battery, or strictly charged from solar or shore power?
So the aux battery(Duracell 12V 55AH AGM Deep Cycle), located in the bed of my truck, is wired to my starting battery via 6awg cable secured to the frame under the cab, and through a Voltage Sensitive Relay(True - Smart Battery Isolator). I’m not trying to insult your intelligence if you already know how it works, but could be useful knowledge for someone else. You can also find a ton of info on google and YouTube on how they work, but for the sake of it......

6awg wire runs from the + & - terminals on start battery. Before the positive cable reaches the aux batt, it hits the VSR which can “sense the amount of voltage” to or from each battery. When the truck is started and alternator is charging the start battery, the VSR will automatically close the circuit when it senses at least 13.4v, turn a blue indicator light on and begin charging the aux batt. When the truck is shut off, the load drops to or below 12.9v, and the VSR opens the circuit, isolating the aux batt from start batt completely and turning the blue light off. There’s another cable on the VSR to allow you to manually close that circuit by applying any 12v power source in the event you need to un-isolate the batteries and use the aux batt for an emergency jump start.....

Moving from the VSR, the 6awg cables then run to the aux batt. More 6awg running from both terminals , with an 85amp in-line fuse on the positive cable, ends up at a 6-port Blue Sea fuse where all my accessories are powered from. All of this is housed in a 15”x15” Leitner Designs Gear Pod.

Here’s some pics.

IMG_0037.jpg
IMG_0035.jpg
IMG_0036.jpg

Old Man River

Rank 0

Contributor I

Beaverton
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Allison
Thank you for the ideas. I have been looking at using the Leitner bars to attache to a ladder rack so I can add the cans on the outside over a canopy.

Ram Rebel Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Denver, CO
First Name
Arin
Last Name
Hanohano
Member #

It's been awhile since I've dropped in on this thread. Thought I'd give some updates on the build thus far.

I decided to change out the white LED lights on the Leitner Bed rack for some RGB Led strips to change it up a bit.

Also got a 10lbs Powertank for airing up, and let me tell you, this thing is a dream! Can air up from 20psi to 45-50 on all four tires in under 5 minutes! Still considering an onboard compressor for redundancy.

Rigged up some air suspension link mods out of plastic tubing that gave us some extra clearance for tackling Moab trails such as Hells Revenge.

Here's some pics of the latest mods and latest adventures!
61B643A5-05C8-4A41-8C76-1904AFA6B125.jpgSMR02695.jpg52E18523-49E6-4F17-9F54-4F9E1A82CD7B.jpgmoment_photo_53649F14.jpgIMG_0607.jpg
IMG_0778.jpg

Wjm1776

Rank 0

Contributor I

Fox Valley, WI
First Name
Will
Last Name
Mick
Looking at getting a Ram Rebel in the next couple months. Thanks for the mod updates. I’ll be following for any updates.