Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

Like many this is my first overland build. Bought this truck back in 2015 brand new and bone stock. Slowly modifying the truck as the bank account permits. Short list of mods but I don’t have plans to do anything crazy to it

2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab short bed. Automatic transmission.

• Replaced front shocks with Bilsteins 5100’s set at 1.75” to get rid of the rake
  • Replaced stock tires with General Grabbers AT tires (do not recommend)
  • Replaced front headlights with aftermarkets after damaging one of the factory headlights. Running 55watt HID’s in the headlights
  • Morimoto fog lights
  • Bought a used bull bar for cheap (don’t know the brand) that saved the truck once when some idiot old man backed into the front while I was behind him at the ATM
  • Leer 100XQ camper shell with Thule cross bars
  • Replaced rear shocks with Bilsteins and added 2” lift blocks after the weight of the shell started causing the rear of the truck to start sagging. Shocks also helped tremendously when towing our small camper
  • Found some used moto metal 17” wheels and bought some new cheap mud tires. Funds were tight and the tires were only $600 and looked great. They aren’t wearing very good and they roar pretty loud because of it. They’re Thunderer Trac Grip 265/70/17 mud tires
  • Found a set of Wet Okole seat covers for the front and back seats for $100 bucks on Facebook marketplace that look great in the truck
  • Weathertech floor mats in the front and back
  • Built a removable sleeping/storage platform in the bed
  • Tepui roof top tent
  • Tyger nerd bars/faux rock sliders. Mostly bought to help get in/out of the cab and access the top of the truck/rack. Will upgrade to real sliders should the need arise
  • Ram cell phone mount installed to lower bolt of “oh shit handle”
I think that’s about it for now. Truck is my daily driver and the majority of the off-road activity I’ve used the truck for has been when hunting or fishing in the Virginia mountains. Really wanna start exploring the national forest roads/trails in Virginia and North Carolina so if anyone has any routes/trips they can recommend I’m all ears. I’m located in northern NC about 20 minutes from the VA state line

Thanks!

25F0198E-4286-4225-8426-DA9642365FE6.jpegD2007123-B59C-45B0-B751-16FBA24FA230.jpeg9040E248-7C5B-402F-B6C1-0ABD684119E7.jpeg2DD00D86-BBCC-414F-B5C5-1EFF5685CF30.jpegFDDF7BEE-DC09-4459-8E4B-448EE763C4C0.jpegA68EFA9B-C23F-466C-BA6F-D33360FE1FFB.jpeg5A37B36B-5EAA-441D-9D9B-D0C0E371B98B.jpeg2AB46186-B033-4539-BB5B-A01DF08D2C13.jpegBEDE33F9-70AD-4D39-AB21-96F0302E9CA6.jpeg

Last edited:

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

I tried uploading the pictures in order but for some reason it kept uploading them in the order they appear. Sorry for the inconvenience

Reactions: Casper66

ChepoCDT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mexico City
First Name
Chepo
Last Name
CDT
Member #

I believe the pics didn't upload because there are errors on all the attachments!

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

Finally got around to replacing the 2” block lift in the rear of the Taco yesterday. Upgraded to some much needed new Old Man Emu Leaf Packs. Did the install and made the 2 hour drive home with the new leaf packs and they made a huge difference in the ride quality. Really hoping to do another upgrade on the suspension in the future. Really digging the Old Man Emu BP-51 setup

B4274CBA-206C-4647-9EE9-EA31617E383D.jpeg

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

So I switched up my tire selection a few months back. The mud terrain tires I was running weren’t wearing evenly at all and the ride quality was declining. Changed to the BFGoodrich KO2 tires 265/70/17. So far the ride quality is excellent and they are a good looking tire

Attachments

Reactions: RoarinRow

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

After several close calls with deer, a minor collision with Bambi, and a bunch of research and looking around I decided it was finally time to give the Tacoma a face lift and some added protection.

I had been looking at CBI Offroad front bumpers and ARB and ended up liking the looks of the ARB and just seemed (in my opinion) like the best choice for my truck.

Ordered the bumper from Asheville Vehicle Outfitters and made the drive down to Asheville, NC to pick up my ARB deluxe bull bar Friday.

Started the install Friday evening and got the factory plastic bumper removed, the bumper bracket installed and the bumper installed and adjusted. Ran out of daylight so I finished Friday with the lower splash guard and installing/wiring the turn signal indicators and fog lights. Was pretty bummed that the fog lights I had in my factory bumper wouldn’t work on the ARB, but I can live with it.

Attachments

lukes3415

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Townsville
Member #

Looking good so far mate, I'm a big fan of the Tacoma as a vehicle. We here in Australia are not as lucky as you in the sates and Toyota does not import Tacomas (envious). We do now however get the Tundra as a option but they are well out of my price range. The ARB front bar suits the truck well and I think that you will be happy with it I've seen these bars hold up to large roo and cow strikes.

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

Looking good so far mate, I'm a big fan of the Tacoma as a vehicle. We here in Australia are not as lucky as you in the sates and Toyota does not import Tacomas (envious). We do now however get the Tundra as a option but they are well out of my price range. The ARB front bar suits the truck well and I think that you will be happy with it I've seen these bars hold up to large roo and cow strikes.
That’s a bummer y’all don’t have the Tacoma’s, but the tundras are awesome trucks too. I was looking at them brieflywhen I was in the market but they’re super expensive, especially for a 4x4. I love the looks of the bumper and the install was actually easier than I expected. I have to worry about deer mostly, but there’s a lot of cows around my house too and a few bear. Hopefully I don’t have to test out it’s durability against any of them

lukes3415

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Townsville
Member #

It's all good mate, Toyota has done Australia a solid with the Land Cruiser and the Hilux or the last 20+ years. Price of a 2015 SR5 Tundra with 100,000 km (62,000 miles) is currently $85,000 ($59,000 USD). But at the end of the day when all is said and done I don't think I would want anything else but my lux. Ha a few bears, yeah I could just see it now mate back in 75 when old Tony Brown was first setting up ARB. Just sitting around in the back shed looking at his first bullbar creation, he was like "one day I may need to make these strong enough to take on a bear of three :smiley:.
All jokes and rants a side mate, I love the look of your Tacoma and I'm looking forward to seeing any and all future progress. Keep up the great work!

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Hello from another 2015 trd sport owner! I'm just a ways up the road from you in Northern central Va. Long time TW member but just joined here a couple Saturdays ago at Expo East. Look's like you have done some good stuff so far t the truck I'll keep watching.

Reactions: l_vandyke

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

Hello from another 2015 trd sport owner! I'm just a ways up the road from you in Northern central Va. Long time TW member but just joined here a couple Saturdays ago at Expo East. Look's like you have done some good stuff so far t the truck I'll keep watching.
thanks bud. Appreciate it. I spend a lot of time in western and southwestern VA I was at expo east on Saturday. It was my first expo.

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

thanks bud. Appreciate it. I spend a lot of time in western and southwestern VA I was at expo east on Saturday. It was my first expo.
Ha it was a little overwhelming. That was my first time at an expo as well. I think I had more fun looking at the set ups in the camping area than the stuff in the vendor area

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

Ha it was a little overwhelming. That was my first time at an expo as well. I think I had more fun looking at the set ups in the camping area than the stuff in the vendor area
I didn’t even get to make it up to the camping area sadly. I wasn’t sure if I was gonna be able to go at all. Purchased my Saturday day pass Friday night at like 10:30PM lol

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Like many this is my first overland build. Bought this truck back in 2015 brand new and bone stock. Slowly modifying the truck as the bank account permits. Short list of mods but I don’t have plans to do anything crazy to it

2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab short bed. Automatic transmission.

• Replaced front shocks with Bilsteins 5100’s set at 1.75” to get rid of the rake
  • Replaced stock tires with General Grabbers AT tires (do not recommend)
  • Replaced front headlights with aftermarkets after damaging one of the factory headlights. Running 55watt HID’s in the headlights
  • Morimoto fog lights
  • Bought a used bull bar for cheap (don’t know the brand) that saved the truck once when some idiot old man backed into the front while I was behind him at the ATM
  • Leer 100XQ camper shell with Thule cross bars
  • Replaced rear shocks with Bilsteins and added 2” lift blocks after the weight of the shell started causing the rear of the truck to start sagging. Shocks also helped tremendously when towing our small camper
  • Found some used moto metal 17” wheels and bought some new cheap mud tires. Funds were tight and the tires were only $600 and looked great. They aren’t wearing very good and they roar pretty loud because of it. They’re Thunderer Trac Grip 265/70/17 mud tires
  • Found a set of Wet Okole seat covers for the front and back seats for $100 bucks on Facebook marketplace that look great in the truck
  • Weathertech floor mats in the front and back
  • Built a removable sleeping/storage platform in the bed
  • Tepui roof top tent
  • Tyger nerd bars/faux rock sliders. Mostly bought to help get in/out of the cab and access the top of the truck/rack. Will upgrade to real sliders should the need arise
  • Ram cell phone mount installed to lower bolt of “oh shit handle”
I think that’s about it for now. Truck is my daily driver and the majority of the off-road activity I’ve used the truck for has been when hunting or fishing in the Virginia mountains. Really wanna start exploring the national forest roads/trails in Virginia and North Carolina so if anyone has any routes/trips they can recommend I’m all ears. I’m located in northern NC about 20 minutes from the VA state line

Thanks!

View attachment 110200View attachment 110201View attachment 110202View attachment 110203View attachment 110204View attachment 110205View attachment 110206View attachment 110207View attachment 110208
How is it with RTT on you camper shell?

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Decided to try to get a decent picture of the ARB bull bar with the park lights turned on. Really like the looks of them. Replaced the bulbs that came with the bumper from ARB with LEDs to match the rest of my trucks lights. Hard to get a good picture
Hell you're lucky we can't run LED lights here in Va. Any exterior lights have to conform to OEM they wouldn't even pass my LED reverse and tag lights and they're on the rear of the truck

Reactions: l_vandyke

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

Hell you're lucky we can't run LED lights here in Va. Any exterior lights have to conform to OEM they wouldn't even pass my LED reverse and tag lights and they're on the rear of the truck
i hate dealing with va police. The only tickets I’ve ever gotten in my life have been in va. One of them gave me three tickets. Speeding, no registration for the camper i was towing, and the dodge I was driving had smoked taillights