2015 Silverado / 2009 M1101 Build Thread

• HTML tutorial

Dylan Cave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Frisco, Texas
Member #

I've passed the first break-in period, and I couldn't be happier with the G2 4.10 gears. The only thing that needs to be changed is the tire size, as the 33s currently on the truck are running the RPMs too high. (The wife put a mandate in place that these tires had to be worn out before the upgrade to 35s).

The truck is now in the shop for hail damage repair and maybe another small upgrade...

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Johnnie Canuck

Dylan Cave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Frisco, Texas
Member #

Started my first foray into metal fabrication, as I attempt to create a winch equipped spare tire mount for the M1101 trailer. Pray for me, because my practice welds are atrocious!

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

Let me know if you need any pointers or tips on welding/fab work. I have been doing both for 20+ years. Always willing to help someone who wants to learn.

Reactions: Dylan Cave

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

Be sure you wear a good dust mask when you are dealing with anything military. Grinding and welding over CARC paint is not good for your health. I typically have it sand blasted off before I'll mess with it. You can't be to cautious.

Dylan Cave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Frisco, Texas
Member #

Made a little progress on the spare tire lift. The welds aren't pretty but they should hold.

I'm finding the measurements and angles to be much more difficult than the welding.

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

It's a very basic flux core mig welder from Harbor Freight. (No gas)

Just wondering. There is a big difference in welders. I have a Lincoln mig with a tank and it works okay... going from mine to my buddies miller is a night and day difference in how my welds turn out. Just sayin your more than likely a better welder than you think you are.

Either way, good work! It's so coll being able to build your own stuff.

Jonah "Rustyburbin" #4084.
5 kids, a wife, dog and a
1970 K20 Suburban

Dylan Cave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Frisco, Texas
Member #

Just wondering. There is a big difference in welders. I have a Lincoln mig with a tank and it works okay... going from mine to my buddies miller is a night and day difference in how my welds turn out. Just sayin your more than likely a better welder than you think you are.

Either way, good work! It's so coll being able to build your own stuff.

1970 K20 Suburban
That makes perfect sense. I just thought I would go with something simple since I won't use it often. For this application I've been careful to keep the weight bearing portions overlapping other steel, so that my welds aren't holding any weight. Just not ready to put that much trust in myself lol

Reactions: Rusty burbin

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

I hear ya. When I got mine I went in halves with my pops, and it was a Craigslist find so double win for me! Lol... my dad has never used it, I think he likes the idea of having one if he ever needs one. So far he hasn't which is fine with me because I use it often.

Keep it up! And remember a grinder can make any weld look good [emoji85] [emoji86] [emoji87]

1970 K20 Suburban

CFTAdventures

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Falling Waters, WV
Member #

How are your firestone airbags holding up for you? I originally had them on the truck with pucks as you and they last a month before my wife Made me take them off due to the stiffness.

Dylan Cave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Frisco, Texas
Member #

How are your firestone airbags holding up for you? I originally had them on the truck with pucks as you and they last a month before my wife Made me take them off due to the stiffness.
I haven't had any issues with them, but I do run adjustable shocks on the rear. When not under load I keep them at 10psi.

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

When you are running non shielded flux core it is often better to treat it like a 6010 or 6011 welding rod. You should step your weld some refer to it as whip and pause. There are some good videos on YouTube showing the stepping technique. It really improves your penetration in the weld bed and helps prevent undercutting. Works really well for open root welds to keep from generating to large of a "key hole" in your weld bed.

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

When you are running non shielded flux core it is often better to treat it like a 6010 or 6011 welding rod. You should step your weld some refer to it as whip and pause. There are some good videos on YouTube showing the stepping technique. It really improves your penetration in the weld bed and helps prevent undercutting. Works really well for open root welds to keep from generating to large of a "key hole" in your weld bed.
Reading your comment reminds of this video... [emoji23]

1970 K20 Suburban

Dylan Cave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Frisco, Texas
Member #

This is the move from the bottom to the top, and then the pause at the top...correct?

I try to remember this but I keep feeling rushed by the wire feeding into the puddle, making it large very fast. I'm wondering if that's just me, or if the settings on the machine are that way on purpose.

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

Establish a puddle that breaks down both pieces of metal being welded. Then whip out of that puddle along the weld seam. Then come back into your weld puddle. If that makes more sense.

Sounds like you may have your wire speed setting a little high. If you can feel the wire pushing back against the material it is to high. Flux core should sound about like water boiling off in a hot skillet when running right. Just like hard wire with shield gas should sound something like a tattoo gun running or bacon frying.

Dylan Cave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Frisco, Texas
Member #

Establish a puddle that breaks down both pieces of metal being welded. Then whip out of that puddle along the weld seam. Then come back into your weld puddle. If that makes more sense.

Sounds like you may have your wire speed setting a little high. If you can feel the wire pushing back against the material it is to high. Flux core should sound about like water boiling off in a hot skillet when running right. Just like hard wire with shield gas should sound something like a tattoo gun running or bacon frying.
I was definitely feeling it pushing back, so I just started moving a little faster. I'll turn it down a bit next time [emoji23]

Reactions: Rusty burbin