2015 Silverado / 2009 M1101 Build Thread

• HTML tutorial

Dylan Cave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Frisco, Texas
Member #

Made a quick trip North with the family last weekend to the Ouachita National Forest. Got to test the M1101 out on some dirt roads.

I'm pretty pleased with how it pulls, on and off the pavement. Hit a lot of rain, and need to make some changes to my storage containers and how I'm securing them, but all in all, a great trip.

Instagram: @dhcave

Reactions: Rusty burbin

Dylan Cave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Frisco, Texas
Member #

Trailer update - I saw this idea on Steel Soldiers and found a local fabricator to make it a reality.

4x4ready

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Los Angeles, CA
First Name
4X4
Last Name
READY
Member #

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to the build - looks sweet so far.

Have a 1500 myself, been taking it completely stock to OHV trails - love it and will see what i need to upgrade along the way. Emblem arrives Saturday!

Reactions: Dylan Cave

Dylan Cave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Frisco, Texas
Member #

The bearings I purchased are too small, and so I learned that the technical manual did not anticipate soldiers replacing the hubs with the heavy duty version from an M1102 trailer. Which uses larger bearings and races.

Reminds me of the phrase, the map is not the terrain.

Dylan Cave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Frisco, Texas
Member #

While the trailer is in the shop, I went up to Oklahoma to purchase a spare this weekend. It took a few weeks to track one down, but it's going to make me feel a lot better about taking it into the backcountry.

Last edited:

Dylan Cave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Frisco, Texas
Member #

Got the trailer back from the shop on Saturday! It's now painted the same color as the truck, with a red bed liner (oldest boy's favorite color). It will now spend most of its life being pampered, out of the weather, in a storage facility. There was no way the wife was going to let it stay in the garage lol.

Dylan Cave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Frisco, Texas
Member #

Found a temporary way to mount the spare tire under the trailer. I have a permanent solution in mind that I'll have to do at a later time.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

Looking good. Be careful with the tie rods on your truck. We have about 90 of these trucks in our fleet at work and they are constantly bending them. On the trail it could really mess up your trip.

Also watch eBay for a surplus HMMWV rear tire carrier they will mount to that trailer with a little modification.59EA2F5B-086D-4AED-8A2D-7A39E2AFDB6C-24954-00001491F3B28262.jpeg

HMMWV Jerry can rack also fits the rear of them. You can build a bumper similar to the HMMWV out of 2"x6" rectangular tube or pick up a surplus one and mod it to fit the trailer. I have done it both ways for people in the past.
99577521-8DCA-43CF-9D85-81AD45A2CC22-24954-0000149364108C8B.jpeg

Last edited:

Dylan Cave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Frisco, Texas
Member #

Looking good. Be careful with the tie rods on your truck. We have about 90 of these trucks in our fleet at work and they are constantly bending them. On the trail it could really mess up your trip.

Also watch eBay for a surplus HMMWV rear tire carrier they will mount to that trailer with a little modification.View attachment 28570

HMMWV Jerry can rack also fits the rear of them. You can build a bumper similar to the HMMWV out of 2"x6" rectangular tube or pick up a surplus one and mod it to fit the trailer. I have done it both ways for people in the past.
View attachment 28571
Thanks for the heads-up on the tie rods, I currently carry a set of endpoints, but may need to look at that part of my kit again. Is it the inner tie rod that's breaking or another part?

I've been thinking of having a fabricator mount the spare under the rear of the trailer, using the same hoist system as the truck. (Using bolts/butterfly nuts to hold the increased weight of the HMMWV tire though). That would give me back some of the amazing ground clearance.

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

Thanks for the heads-up on the tie rods, I currently carry a set of endpoints, but may need to look at that part of my kit again. Is it the inner tie rod that's breaking or another part?

I've been thinking of having a fabricator mount the spare under the rear of the trailer, using the same hoist system as the truck. (Using bolts/butterfly nuts to hold the increased weight of the HMMWV tire though). That would give me back some of the amazing ground clearance.
It is the inner tie rod that bends on them the small diameter of it isn't real happy when you mix larger tires and rough terrain.