Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Hey folks,
This is something I have been planning for a while, over at expedition portal, but thought I would post it here now that I am in this community. The bulk of the info is in this thread at ex-portal - THREAD
I would love to see some OB emblems at this event!
The main basics are as follows:
Meet Saturday morning (time tbd) at an undisclosed location just east of Junction Texas. Camp in Mason Saturday night. Continue on the route to just West of Marble Falls Texas. A lot of us are going directly from the end point to the Texas Avid Outdoors Expo for the afternoon in Austin.

Here is the latest update I posted:

Hey Folks

First of all, thanks for showing so much interest in this event. It's great to see that so many people in Texas are all about the outdoors.

Before I dive in, I want to remind everyone to go into the spreadsheet and update their info. Some of you are not longer able to make it (that is a big bummer but I plan to do this again for the wildflower season so stay tuned for that). If you can't make it anymore, go ahead and remove your name from the list. If you can make it, and haven't added yourself, please do.
I also added two columns to the spreadsheet. CB radio yes/no and Who is going to go to the Texas Avid Outdoor Expo after the dirt ends.
Spreadsheet

I swiped some notes from Mr. Leary's trip post since they fit so perfectly here. Just some things to make sure you have and/or prep for the trip (or any trip for that matter).

REQUIRED FOR EVERY TRIP
•Front and rear vehicle recovery points, high strength
•Rugged clothing, appropriate to duration and weather conditions (October is supposed to come with a lot of rain)
•Camping gear: for cooking, sleeping, and relaxing
•Food: (Bring your own food. There will not be a communal dinner. You are welcome to share your food but don't depend on others to feed you)
•Water: one gallon per person, per day, is mandatory
•Maps: digital or paper in road or topo, for region of trip (I will send out the GPX for the route when I finish building it)
•Spare key, hidden outside of vehicle
•Portable light source w/ batteries
•Emergency contact, family or friend
•Basic first aid kit
•Cash

RECOMMENDED FOR EVERY TRIP
•Jack
•Tarp
•Shovel
•Jumper cables
•Drivetrain fluids
•Recovery strap
•CB or 2/70 HAM radio
•Tool kit, appropriate to vehicle
•Spare parts, appropriate to vehicle
•LT-rated tires, or higher
•Full-sized spare tire

A few notes from the Scouting Trip (Thanks again for joining me Matthew and Roger)

-The gravel bar we are camping on has changed a bit, probably from the flooding this past spring. There is no more sand. It is very rocky. There are scattered spots where a tent will set up and one could sleep on a thin pad and be fine. But, I would recommend you bring a tarp to put under your tent to prevent damage to the bottom in case you end up on a rockier area. I will likely sleep in the back of my rig to enable others who don't have that option to get a softer spot on the ground.

-We have some new territory to cover this time around. It is surrounded by private property so please don't wander off route. If you do, just remember, you are in Texas during hunting season. Don't think I need to say more.

-Depending on how many people make it to the start point of the route, we will be splitting up into 2 or 3 teams. Hopefully that will help us stay spread out. There are also multiple route options that we painstakingly
checked for access. So what does that mean. That means each team will need to work together to decide which route they want to go on. Sort of a "Choose your own adventure" deal. Assuming not everyone chooses the same route, that should also help us to keep this trip moving. We will discuss this at the meeting location in much greater detail.

-Speaking of a meeting location. Roger and I chatted briefly and thought it would be more fun to post up some coordinates and let all of you find it. So that is exactly what I am doing. (if you get lost or are going to be late call me. I will post my number in the spreadsheet) Meeting place and time will be posted separately from this post to make it easy for folks to see.

-Weather! I don't plan on cancelling the trip due to weather. I may modify our route to avoid damaging sections. I will say, some of the sections are very slick when wet and could prove pretty difficult for 2-wheel drive vehicles. I will let you decide what your ability level is in the event things get soupy. Please use your better judgement.

I am sure I will think of more things to say later. I will post any updates I think of in this thread so keep an eye on here.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Thank you for sharing @cjones ! I hope you get some emblems there too! Keep us posted on the event, and we'd even like to see some pics if you get a chance!

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

@cjones do you plan on doing this trip again for 2016? I just got to the Killeen area and any opportunity to get out and explore Texas would be awesome!
If there is interest I could be convinced to do a day trip or even an overnighter. Going to be tough this fall due to campsite availability being pretty low. But perhaps a spring run could be arranged. What do y'all think? Anyone interested in a hill country soft road trip?

gotricesmurf

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Antonio, TX
Member #

Depending on dates/times I would like to try to attend. Been wanting to get out this fall in the Hill Country. Mostly getting rdy for hunting season out in concan/leaky,TX. Taking trips out that way near Garner State Park. But I reside in San Antonio for now.

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

I'm going to be "Glamping" in Wimberley, but I'll see y'all at the EXPO on Sunday. It'll be my first one.